The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 11, 2008, 08:37 PM   #1
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
The baby .380 from Magnum Research...a minor report

I had the chance to shoot the new mini .380acp from Magnum Research today.

I AM NOT IMPRESSED!

Recoil was indeed very minimal for a blowback gun and the trigger wasn't bad considering that it uses an inertia hammer, but...

The thing is so inaccurate that it isn't even funny. Using the rudimentary sights it has is less than pointless. Total barrel length minus the chamber is about 1 1/4". The .380 really needs at least 2" to become practical for self defense.

I couldn't get a single shot into an 8 inch oval at 12 feet.

This thing is a $500 belly gun at best.

I am no fan of the Kel-Tec 3AT or LCP, but I will take one over that joke of a gun that Magnum Research is trying to put out.

For those that wonder if I am competent to shoot well with a small .380...

My first gun is a Grendel P10. I have shot it close to one thousand times and can nail 4" circles at 50 feet.

No way can this new gun do it.

I think I'll save up a few hundred bucks more and buy that Kahr.
Old October 12, 2008, 05:55 AM   #2
roman3

Well it certainly look's ugly. Same size as a PPK?

http://www.gundealeronline.com/Produ...ductCode=ME380

And at $535

But pricewise will be a bargain as compared to the Kahr when it finally comes out. Currently next month...
Old October 12, 2008, 07:58 AM   #3
B.N.Real

Wow.

$500 down the drain.

Not good.

Thanks for the warning.
Old October 12, 2008, 08:06 AM   #4
PSP

Quote:
I couldn't get a single shot into an 8 inch oval at 12 feet.
Is there any reason or cause you can point to that makes the gun is so inaccurate? At 12' my little Seecamp, with the same length barrel has produced 2" groups...so barrel length, (at 12' at least), shouldn't be the reason.
Old October 12, 2008, 09:32 AM   #5
Capt. Dixie

Inaccurate?

This calls for a lot more research. Very hard to picture a newly-introduced
BUG being that inaccurate. Hmmmmm.
Old October 12, 2008, 10:09 AM   #6
BusGunner007

http://www.gundealeronline.com/Produ...ductCode=ME380
This outfit says their photos are copyrighted...however, when I clicked on it for the larger picture, it appeared that the photo could be taken...go there and see it.

Here's more info:
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...-desert-eagle/

The Micro Desert Eagle pistol from Magnum Research chambered in .380 ACP is a true compact personal protection pistol. Weighing in at less than 14 oz., the Micro Eagle is comfortable at home, in a pocket or in a purse. The Micro Eagle features our gas assisted blowback system for ultimate reliability and hammer forged barrels for amazing accuracy. Finely crafted in the U.S., the DAO Micro Eagle pistol is the ultimate in safety and compact personal protection.

Technical Specifications:
Model: Micro Desert Eagle Pistol
Caliber: .380 Auto (9 mm Browning)
Length: 4.52″ / 116 mm
Height: 3.71″ / 95 mm
Width: 0.90″ / 23 mm
Length of the Barrel: 2.22″ / 57 mm
Weight Empty: 14 oz / 400 grams
Magazine Capacity: 6-Rounds
Trigger Mechanism: DAO
Safety: DAO
Sights: Fixed/Non-Adjustable

MSRP $535.00

For more information on this and other Magnum Research products, visit www.magnumresearch.com
Old October 12, 2008, 08:15 PM   #7
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
Quote:
Is there any reason or cause you can point to that makes the gun is so inaccurate? At 12' my little Seecamp, with the same length barrel has produced 2" groups...so barrel length, (at 12' at least), shouldn't be the reason
I can think of no specific reasons. Maybe just some 1st generation bugs in the design. It wouldn't be the first time a prototype was rushed out before being proven.

With the cost of .380 being what it is (even the cheap stuff is high) I am not interested in finding out if the gun/point of impact can be corrected by me personally.

Those sight should be dead on from the factory...especially at 12 feet. And at the the price they want.

Keep in mind that your Seecamp is practically hand made with love and it shows. I bet the price represents that as well.
Old October 12, 2008, 08:59 PM   #8
predecessor

Strange - at least in my neck of the woods, next to 9X19, the .380 ammunition is the next most affordable platform -- about $12-13 a box for the cheap FMJ practice ammo.
Old October 13, 2008, 12:26 PM   #9
alistaire

A 'Micro Desert Eagle' should still fire real bullets (like 45acp)...
Old October 13, 2008, 01:52 PM   #10
Smaug

What cracked me up was the claim that it is: "Sharing all the family traits of the world-famous Magnum Desert Eagle,..."

What traits would these be?

Magnum caliber? Nope.
Fixed barrel design? Nope.
Good accuracy? Apparently not.

It'll be interesting to see what the gun mags say about it.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old October 13, 2008, 09:22 PM   #11
Jay1958

When was the last time a gun mag reviewed a gun they DIDN'T like? Gun mags sell advertising, firearms manufacturers buy it. Bad review = no ads sold to that manufacturer! Money talks.

I know someone will point to "Gun Tests Magazine", but they have their own set of problems, IMO.

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see what the gun mags say about it.
Old October 19, 2008, 05:02 PM   #12
hemiram

I would almost bet a lot of cash that a freind of mine, who recently went from being a total high end 1911 fanatic to a CZ and CZ clone nut, will buy one, and I will be shooting it soon. Back when I had my AMT Back up 380, I would have been thrilled if it would shoot an entire mag at all, and if the trigger pull was less than 30 pounds (After break in, it was way worse when I got it!). My thumb aches just thinking about that little piece of junk.
Old January 5, 2009, 07:44 PM   #13
ccoorreeyy

I picked up one today for $349. Wish they had more at that price. I shot 50 rounds of 5 different type bullets in the back yard at 7 yards on a 1'x1.5' board and hit it every time. I aimed slowly on the first 5 shots but then I let um fly. I'm kinda impressed with this gun. I am a Seecamp / Rohrbaugh guy but the Micro Eagle is a great little gun.
Corey
Old January 5, 2009, 08:28 PM   #14
Keltyke

Quote:
I am no fan of the Kel-Tec 3AT or LCP,
You coulda bought one of each for that price.

Did MR ever advertise it as being exceptionally accurate?

My wife carries a Keltec P-32, and she can post a reasonable group at a distance with it, BUT...it's obviously designed as a "get off me", belly-to-belly gun.

Same thing with the Seecamp, LCP, AMT and others. They're very easily concealable almost anywhere in almost any mode of dress, they're reliable and easy to handle/shoot, and 6-8 rounds of .32 - .380 in the belly won't be ignored by anyone.
Old January 6, 2009, 01:13 PM   #15
lanternlad

Here's a video of it being shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8briK1YbD8g

I know the video says ZVI KEVIN, Mag Research changed the name when they started making it here.

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Micro_Eagle.asp
http://www.zvi.cz/en/products/9-mm-pistol-kevin.html

The thing that bothers me is the slide coming back could really slice your hand.
I still want one - but not for 500 bucks.
Old January 6, 2009, 04:02 PM   #16
lee n. field

Quote:
Wow.

$500 down the drain.
Oh, come, come. Someone will buy it, eventually.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 6, 2009, 05:17 PM   #17
ElectricHellfire

Disappointing indeed.
Old January 6, 2009, 07:22 PM   #18
NCHornet

I will keep my NAA Guardians, 100% reliable and amazingly accurate!!

NCH
Old January 6, 2009, 07:24 PM   #19
czf

Just wait until Ruger shows up at the Shot Show!!
http://cz-gunstuffs.webs.com/
Old March 17, 2009, 09:10 PM   #20
ccoorreeyy

Alright, for you guys (not me, I like the look) that think the Micro 380 is to Butch, Ugly or Blocky check this out, I think this should help! After months of emails back and forth with ZVI & Magnum Research I was finally able to score what I think are the only two sets of wooden grips in America for these guns. To me it makes the Micro look AWSOME! What do you guys think?

Old March 17, 2009, 09:22 PM   #21
Shadi Khalil

The grips help in the looks deptarment...Nevermind the looks, I'd be worried about shooting my finger off on a reload.
Old March 17, 2009, 09:59 PM   #22
ccoorreeyy

IMO there is no real reason to hold this gun with two hands. Its made for up close SD work. I point shoot with it at 7yds close to the hip with plenty accuracy.
Old March 17, 2009, 11:03 PM   #23
passintime

Mine shoots just fine I want those grips!
"You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations — these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit — immortal horrors or everlasting splendors." ~~~CS Lewis
Old March 19, 2009, 08:54 AM   #24
deaconhull

MR Micro Eagle

I must agree that this little pocket pistol is a little on the ugly side, however, my wife loves it. Easy to conceal, cheap ammo, and she likes the looks. I've fired it and it is accurate up to 10 yds even with Wolf ammo. The DAO trigger is a bear! I'm going to take it and have the trigger worked some so my wife doesn't feel like she's pulling a frieght train with her trigger finger. That's the only complaint I have with this little pocket rocket, might get one for myself (if they make 'em in 45ACP!)

Last edited by deaconhull; March 19, 2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: removed a word that was out of place
Old August 8, 2009, 08:25 PM   #25
Hyperjoe

I purchased this gun about a week ago as an ONLY CCW gun that I would own. I had to have a gun that I would cary and remember that it was on me and that had no extra stuff on it. I wanted a Double Action pistol.

I shot 2 boxes of cheap .380 ACP through it. (NO MISS FEEDS OR JAMS) Now, I have not shot a gun in over 8+ years so my aim is way OFF as well as never shooting these kind of small guns. To better qualify myself, I have owned HK USP, Beretta, AR15 and S&W 40 and a pretty good marksman. I had sold all my guns years ago. I needed money for investments which today I am proud to say made me 10 fold the investment.

Anyways...the review.

The gun will get away from you without a pinky lip. I am hoping that someone designs a better mag, even if it is short, add a lip to it so that the gun does not ride up.

The gun fires like a dream for its size. I would say it shot similar to my Beretta 32 with flip tip.

The gun has weight. Now, before those complainers start with their "it has to be light" crap, please consider what you are carrying now! I see the most illogical nonsensical arguments on this forum having to do with a proper CCW and weight. The bottom line is, if the gun works for you, it does not matter what weight it is.

The DE Micro is solid and I know I have it on me! The gun's extra few ounces adds to overall shooting stability/ability. Its not that heavy!!'

For a CCW, I prefer a heavy trigger for various reasons and it aids in proper grip of the weapon. This was not even a concern as other have made it.

The outcome:

At 15 yards, I had shot 50 rounds and had 42 in the kill zone/chest area (aimed for heart center). The other 8 were either not accounted for or outside of the human torso area.

I then tried 25 rounds at 15ft. All were in within the center heart/ chest area no more than 6″ apart in which I had aimed for. Oops, there goes a ventricle!

The last 25 rounds were shot at 75 ft. I had only 7 in the kil/torso zone. so about 25% at 75ft. Its not even broken in yet! LOL.

The Micro DE is a reliable gun and with time, improve on accuracy as any new gun. THIS IS NOT THE GUN FOR ACROSS THE PARKING LOT SHOOTING!! It is for quick take down at close proximity for assailant as in most crimes.

When I got home, I dug out my old ammo box with cleaning patches and oil. I cleaned the unit. It was simple to clean and went back together perfectly. The gun is prime quality and is a SOLID once piece frame. Pretty impressive and I think the only gun on the market like it.

I am ordering wood grips for it. I want to also mention that after shooting the 100 rounds, I had noticed that the one side of the grip had loosened just a tad and I had to use an alan wench to tighten back up. This can be expected considering the force placed on such a small frame. I am using lock-tight when I get the wood handles.

Overall, a wonderful experience today at the range and a great gun that I hope to never use!!

Last edited by Johnny Guest; August 9, 2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Remove crude language