The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 21, 2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Magnums "roller" mid project pics...

wood is stripped just oil from handling, metal unfinished yet, adjustable butt plate needs hand finishing ( machining is done )...

lots to do yet, but I just had to remount the the stock, & add the scope for the 1st time for a couple mid project pics...

so what do you think

BTW... it weighs 17 lbs as it sits unloaded, with the 15X Unertl scope

the custom adjustable butt plate & steel spacers ( wil be painted in candy colors )... red, white, & blue, with a red & white bullseye target in the center of the blue butt plate... ( where the circle is machined ) all the hardware on both the butt stock & fore end will be stainless

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guns 191.jpg (36.7 KB, 8158 views)
File Type: jpg Guns 193.jpg (56.0 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; October 21, 2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old October 21, 2008, 02:39 PM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

hope it doesn't look too bad for an 1800's Remington... ( btw... the rifle was originally customized in the 60's as a bench rest gun, so I'm restoring it that way, which was when the wood was added, & an unsafe high pressure cartridge, I did not desicrate a pristine Remington roller )

the crown on the extra heavy weight barrel...

unfinished butt stock

the schutzen style butt plate... ( can swap on & off with the adjustable steel butt plate )... will be painted blue also

whats it shoot ??? a 32-40, stretched out to 8mm ( the barrel is an 8mm match barrel with a 1 in 10 twist ) then chambered for 32-40, then the neck area was opened with an 8 x 06 throating reamer... results in an 8 X 40... my break in bullets, 170 grain speer semi spitzers ( on the right )... my expected target cartridge on the left, uses a 180 grain Nosler boat tail spitzer... just begining to expiriment with load receipes

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guns 189.jpg (38.6 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Guns 192.jpg (50.6 KB, 261 views)
Old October 21, 2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

so... we wanted the scope to be as close to the alignment of the bore as possible, so it's tight... with the external adjustment all the way up in the rear, it cocks the front down, but still has some clearance, adjusting for shooting distance should open up that gap a little...

the rifle case is a whole other project... I have an old wooden target rifle case, that will get a redo... this rifle outline will get traced out on some soft wood, & an ouline cut out... then 1/4" or 3/8" closed cell foam will be added over the wood outline, then blue velvet goes over the closed cell foam... then the outline comes back out, & the empty shell of a case goes to my custom painter for waving flag to be painted inside the bottom & the cover, in the colors used on the butt plates & spacers... then the case goes to my leather guy for a coating of the outside in distressed brown leather, brass corners & leather wrapped handles will accent the cases current brass hardware...

I think I've decided on a deep blue finish on all the rifles metal work...

not to over done is it ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guns 195.jpg (50.2 KB, 100 views)
Old October 22, 2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Abndoc

A deep rich blue would look nice. I'm not too sure about painting the butt plate, as I think it might look too bright with the classic lines of this rifle.

However, if thats how things rolled in benchrest circles in the 60's, then it would be appropriate. I'm not opposed to paint on a rifle.

I'm looking forward to your range report.