The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 25, 2008, 11:40 PM   #1
SigAlert

Glock - Pulled trigger w/slide locked open

Don't ask how I did it, because I'm not sure, but I pulled the trigger on my 19 with the slide locked back. Any damage you can think of from that?

(I take it back, I do know how it happened. I put my finger in there and pulled the trigger )
Old October 25, 2008, 11:42 PM   #2
hoytinak

No damage, just let your slide go forward and it'll reset the trigger.
Old October 26, 2008, 02:59 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Not likely you did any damage.

It's theoretically possible to break the trigger safety in that manner, but it's not particularly likely.

Check your trigger safety to make sure it still works properly and don't make a practice of pulling the trigger with the slide locked back or with the slide off the frame.
Old October 26, 2008, 06:46 AM   #4
HammerBite

I'm having a very difficult time understanding how this could be a problem. When the slide is out of battery the trigger doesn't do anything, by design. Also, every time you fire the last round from a magazine you are still squeezing the trigger after the slide locks back, unless you have a very unusual trigger technique.
Old October 26, 2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Alleykat

Quote:
Also, every time you fire the last round from a magazine you are still squeezing the trigger after the slide locks back, unless you have a very unusual trigger technique.
Bad analogy. Holding the trigger back after the last shot isn't the same as locking the slide back then pulling the trigger, but, I'm sure you knew that.
Old October 26, 2008, 11:10 AM   #6
stillGHILLIE

When you are holding the trigger back after your shots, and the slide goes back forward, you have a short travel forward in the trigger until you feel a "click" into the reset...meaning you can fire the pistol again without letting the trigger go all the way forward to its rest position. (the part called a disconnector did its job, so you don't have a full auto weapon) When the slide locks back on an empty mag, and you have the trigger pulled all the way, the trigger isn't forward enough to go into this reset position until the slide goes forward some. (the disconnector is still at work) When you lock back the slide manually, and the trigger has already been reset, the pistol's firing components are "out of battery" with each other, but the trigger rests in this reset position. While pulling the trigger at this point isn't a habit you want to get into, you would probably have to do this many times to put enough undue stress on the trigger parts to induce breakage. (yes, I am a Glock Armorer)