The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 13, 2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Visaman

can these demands be met with a blackpowder rifle ?

With a bullet weight between 9 - 10 grams ( 138 - 154.3 Grains ),
minimum 2700 joule (1991.4 lb lbf/Foot pound force) at 100m (328 feet).
With a bullet weighting over 10 grams (154.3 Grains ), minimum 2200 joule (1622.6lb lbf/Foot pound force) at 100m. (328 Feet )

That is the minimum legal energy delivered needed to hunt big game
Moose (Alces alces), Red Deer (Cervus elaphus),reindeer (Rangifer
tarandus) ) in Norway.

The minimum limit for :
European Roe Deer (Capreolus capreolus)
Eurasian lynx (Lynx lynx)
wolverine (Gulo gulo)
European Beaver (Castor fiber)
Is 980 Joule at 100 meters (722 lb lbf Foot pound force)
Only expanding bullets are allowed.

Last edited by Visaman; November 13, 2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old November 13, 2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

154 grain is mighty small for a muzzleloader bullet. For instance, it appears that the smallest made by Hornady is 180 grain.

I'd say that the only way to meet those numbers would be about a 280grain bullet with a muzzle velocity near 1900fps, even then you'd be close to or below the minimum energy level at 100m.
Old November 13, 2008, 08:18 PM   #3
wpcexpert

Are you trying to get as small as possible, or just cruizin for information?

Seems a lot under-gunned for a moose hunt.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 13, 2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Visaman

Well, those are the specs mentioned by law here i norway..
And there is some public confusion and debate around blackpowder hunting here in Norway.
Old November 13, 2008, 08:31 PM   #5
wpcexpert

But there is nothing saying that you can't use something that is larger, right? If it says minimum, then you can go bigger. Maybe I'm not understanding the question. But...

You could try to find an expanding bullet for the first rifle on this page.

http://www.buffalobillsshootingstore...eloaders3.html

Or try to find a ML in a .357 caliber. You could get that low with one of those.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 13, 2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Visaman

Yes, you are right..

Maybe these are up to the job ?

That is Eley .500 BPE " Blackpowder Express", 3" casing lenght , 136 Grains Blackpowder 340 grains "Copper Tubed" bullet.
Old November 13, 2008, 08:44 PM   #7
wpcexpert

Does it specify "Black Powder"? Or Muzzleloader? Never seen one say Black Powder.

But that cartridge should meet the minimum requirement.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 13, 2008, 08:47 PM   #8
Visaman

it is forbidden to use muzzleloading guns to hunt here in norway.

Those are clearly labeled Black Powder..
Old November 13, 2008, 08:53 PM   #9
wpcexpert

WOW. Thats interesting. Sorry I wasn't aware of it. Knowing that, my searching was way off base. when you say black powder, for me, a muzzleloader pops into mind.

Any good reasoning behind it? Or is the Gov just trying to limit hunting tools?
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 13, 2008, 08:58 PM   #10
Visaman

I think it has something to do with the fact that it takes so long time to reload a muzzleloader.. Somethimes a quick follow up shot are needed, so only cartrige weapons are allowed.
Old November 13, 2008, 09:04 PM   #11
wpcexpert

Do you have a rifle that will shoot those cartridges you posted? got a pic?
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 13, 2008, 09:18 PM   #12
Visaman

No, i dont have that yet..
But if it is possible to meet the minimal demands of energy with a good margin, and DOCUMENT/ PROVE it.. Then i will see what i can get my hands on..

To get a hunting licence for game in Norway, you firtst have to pass a test kalled "jegerprøve", it is a test to prove that you know the regulations and can tell the difference on several spieces of birds/ducks, and how animals react when they are hurt by bullets. If you pass the "jegerprøve" you can hunt birds with a shotgun, and small game like Mountain Hare (Lepus timidus) and European Hare or Brown Hare (Lepus europaeus) and Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes).

If you pass that test, you have to shoot minimum 100 shots with the rifle you are going to use on a shooting range to get a licence for:

Moose (Alces alces)
Red Deer (Cervus elaphus) ( can be hunted using a shotgun )
reindeer (Rangifer tarandus)
European Roe Deer (Capreolus capreolus) ( can be hunted using a shotgun )
Eurasian lynx (Lynx lynx)
wolverine (Gulo gulo)
European Beaver (Castor fiber)

The 100 shots on the range needs to be documented. The " 100 bullets test " needs to be done before every hunting season.

Last edited by Visaman; November 13, 2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old November 13, 2008, 09:26 PM   #13
wpcexpert

Holy Crap. They really don't want anyone to hunt there. That seems excessive. So if you wanted to shoot a 7mm, your going to spend over 100 dollars in just ammo. Or is the black powder the only type of weapon allowed?

I think those shells you posted will plenty do the trick.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 13, 2008, 09:36 PM   #14
Visaman

Yes, it can be expensive since you need to use the ammo you are going to use to hunt for 100 shots..
On target practice it is legal to use surplus military ammo.

Any rifle that shoots cartridges and meets the demanded energy levels are allowed.

It is not legal to hunt with a bow/xbow..
It is legal to shoot fish with a bow, northern pike ( Esox lucius ) is shot/hunted some with bows around here. You need to pay a fishing fee/lisence for that. You dont need a firearm licensce to get a bow here in Norway.
Old November 13, 2008, 10:18 PM   #15
wpcexpert

I've done quite a bit of bowfishing. I love it. Can't shoot game fish though.(Bass, perch, crappie) It's a lot of fun.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 14, 2008, 10:50 AM   #16
Visaman

They did say on a norwegian forum that a 650grs bullet with BC=0,2 meets the required energy at 1200ft/s.

A 50-140 Sharps should deliver a 638grs bullet at 1400ft/s and is thereby whithin the specs..
Old November 14, 2008, 08:11 PM   #17
Buzzcook

I suspect you could get that kind of performance out of the older Mauser's such as the 11mm. I suspect you could find a .45-70 load that will meet those specs. The rifle you shoot it out of will make a difference as to how hot you can load those.
Old November 15, 2008, 01:32 PM   #18
alistaire

Why do you need a black powder gun to hunt?

On second thought, have you considered a hunting vacation to the USA? Some states have a special black powder season (muzzle loaders only) as well as a special bow season.
Old November 16, 2008, 04:45 AM   #19
T. O'Heir

Hi. You won't get 1991.4 ft-lbs out of any BP muzzle loader. A .58 calibre, 566 grain lead, bullet, using 144 grains of Pyrodex by volume, gives 1455 ft-lbs at 100 yards, according to my Lyman BP loading manual.
"...forbidden to use muzzleloading guns to hunt here in Norway..." Your BP question is kind of moot then.
You asking about Norwegian hunting laws or cartridge specs in general? Cartridge specs we can help you with, but not likely your hunting regs. They're likely on-line though.
"...tell the difference on several spieces of birds/ducks..." Ducks at a distance. We have that as part of the Hunter's Safety course, here in Ontario, Canada too. Even if you have no intention to hunt ducks.
It really is a great thing that you asked us though. It's always good to hear from other places and at least try to help.