The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 20, 2008, 11:09 PM   #1
suprathepeg

Rauch Tactical Multi Mount Rail a 58/858 specific POSP mounting package.

The Rauch Tactical Multi Mount Rail is a rail designed to allow shooters to effectively scope their VZ58 rifle. I utilizes the standard Russian side mounted dovetail profile so that users can mount any of the Russian optics and/or mounts designed for the SVD or AK rifles, although the SVD bases are very much recommended as they will allow the user to capitalize on the multiple mounting points of the Rauch Tactical rail.

One of the key features of the Multi Mount Rail is multiple mounting distances so you can mount whatever optic/mount you want in a variety of eye reliefs and still have RTZ if you remove it. There is a movable eye relief stopper. This can be moved to any of the threaded holes in the rail in 1/2 inch increments. This way you can remove or add a red dot or scope with repeatable zero at an eye relief that is comfortable for you.

The rail comes with an integral shell deflector that will protect your optic from spent casings as they eject from the rifle during operation, one of the major issues with scoping the VZ58 rifle. Also as you can see in the picture the shell deflector can be removed should you be using a red dot mounted over the dust cover and not wish to use it.

The Multi Mount Rail attach's to the rifle by drilling 4 holes in the side of the receiver. Four button head bolts are fed through the holes in the receiver and thread into four threaded holes in the rail itself, there is no tapping of the receiver what so ever. This attachment system is designed to offer a solid, light, and streamlined mount that is both easy to install and places the least amount of stress possible on the rifle itself.

The rail is constructed of steel and coated with a manganese phosphate parkerizing for superior durability in the field.

Price will be $125 CAD plus shipping. We will announce it here when they are ready for sale and shipment.

For all interested buyers, we are currently making a list of customers who would like to get one of the first batch of rails. If you want us to put your name next to one please send me an email at [email protected].

For those who have PMed me about this please do me the favor of sending an email. I honestly have had almost 2000 PMs in my in box and had to clean house. I will always answer PMs but to get your name in please send me the email.

Some examples of the optics and mounts already available that will fit the Multi Mount Rail in addition to the standard SVD mountable optics:

For all those who have emailed me about the rails I'm going to answer your questions here in the first post as much as I can so that everyone gets the benefit of the answers. Also I will contact your directly via email when they are ready for payment/shipping.

Q: Is the mount going to put the optics center or are they going to be offset like the SVD?

A: This really depends on the mount/optic you buy. That said most will be offset to the left like the SVD although not as much because the action of the VZ58 is thinner IIRC.

Q: With the shell deflector will one be able to remove optics and still be able to use irons?

A: Yes, Irons should be unobstructed whether or not you remove the optic.