The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 25, 2008, 07:04 PM   #1
RINGKINGS

Opinions on Front Site training...

Looking for opinions on the Front Site training .....considering joining.....for ccw.....does anyone have experience there either good bad or indifferent????
Old December 25, 2008, 07:27 PM   #2
Huey Long

Don't know, but if you decide to go with front site, buy a life membership in the GOA. You get a free training course when you do. It's an $800 value for only $500.
Old December 26, 2008, 12:06 AM   #3
fastforty

I've taken about 20 courses with them (Defensive handgun, rifle, shotgun, M-16 & sub machinegun) & everything was very top-notch . Their instructional staff is very good, as are their ranges & curriculum. This is what you will hear from anyone who has attended 1 or 100 Front Sight courses. You will hear bad reports & naysaying from those who are afraid to attend

With the $1,900 deal that they are offering right now you simply cannot go wrong. (But, it is freaking COLD out there right now. I took a class at this time of year once & even with two layers of thermal underwear & a thermal jumpsuit I still froze my butt off, even when huddled at the back of a range classroom for lecture.)
Old December 26, 2008, 01:47 AM   #4
RINGKINGS

thanks, fastforty

thanks for the input..... but cold??? or are you talking about the Alaska site??
Old December 26, 2008, 05:57 AM   #5
Rob Pincus

The basic training is solid. I've taken a course there and talked to many, many who have also... including many of my students. The ranges are good and are run well. I hired the #2 guy from there to work for me at Valhalla as my #2 for awhile.

"joining" might be another story... not heard a lot of great first hand stories from that side of the house.

-RJP
Old December 26, 2008, 10:49 AM   #6
RINGKINGS

Rob Pincus

thanks for the input....i was thinking of "joining" because they have a lifetime membership for 1990, which is less than some of their courses and because although i live in Illinois i am buying property in the Vegas area this year so it seemed like a great deal since i would be able to use the facilities over and over right in my own backyard..so to speak........ considering these things do you think it is a smart move?.......i believe that consistent training is the only way to go to improve and maintain skills......thanks, Jerry
Old December 26, 2008, 12:28 PM   #7
RINGKINGS

Answered own question...

Just finished researching Front Sight Training institute and found this website about FS being sued regarding their "memberships".
http://www.frontsightlitigation.com/

also found other articles searching TFL ... about people buying plots of land from Piazza and not recieving deeds to property, reducing memberships from 175,000.00 to 1995.00 after some had already paid the 'big' price.
its too bad, it sure would have been convienent for training..........
Old December 26, 2008, 03:49 PM   #8
Jim March

DO NOT get involved in their real estate deals. And given their finances and various legal problems, any long-term buy-ins are risky...
Old December 26, 2008, 07:09 PM   #9
RINGKINGS

Jim..

i wouldn't get into any of the real estate deals..... but i would hope that Front Sight would succeed... it would be so convenient to go and train regularly..... i may still take a chance on the Legacy Lifetime for 2000 because it is the cost of one 4 day class anyway... so even if they go under your really not out anything..... also, i have heard that the classes themselves are very well run...... its a gamble, but hey.........its Vegas.
Old December 28, 2008, 10:32 PM   #10
ws6_keith

I've taken two classes out there (4-day handgun and 2 day shotgun) and learned a lot in both. Very well taught. Might not be the pinnacle of teaching, but for intro/intermediate level classes, they are very good. I have not been back (yet) since buying my Challenge membership at my last class 2 years ago.

To reference the cold - Pahrump, outside of Vegas does get cold during the winter months. I don't believe their Alaska facility has even broken ground yet.
Old December 30, 2008, 05:46 PM   #11
Dewhitewolf

I bought a life membership at Front Sight and so far have been there once. Even just for the course that I've taken (Four Day Defensive Handgun), it was well worth the cost and effort. I learned quite a bit about how unprepared I was if I encountered a dangerous situation.

When I can afford to (since I work retail), I plan on going back and taking that course again and additional courses. The instructors are top notch and are very diligent about making your needs met.

I did not participate in any of their land/home deals, so I cannot comment one way or the other. However, I will point out that many real estate developers face legal problems when investors want to pull out at last minute, just before groundbreaking.