The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 12, 2009, 07:02 AM   #1
MrBorland

Double Action Fun Shoot v2.0

OK, wheelgunners, I’m trying again.

The original version of this Fun Shoot was posted almost 2 weeks ago, but it became clear that some tweaking was needed. I reformatted the target so it ought to open and print uniformly and without a problem. I also tried to simplify and clarify the rules a bit.

This is a Fun Shoot for double action revolver shooters. A test of a shooter's overall accuracy while shooting in double action, shooters simply print the attached target, shoot, score, and post (or PM) the results. Highest score in each of 3 categories wins bragging rights and forum-wide huzzahs. In addition to being fun, you may satisfy some curiosity to see how you rate among your fellow wheelgunners, and it may highlight some areas you might be interested in improving upon.

This is intended to be a measure of overall accuracy with a double action trigger. You’ll be shooting strong and weak handed, both 2- and 1-handed, and your overall score is a measure of how well you do shooting all 4 of these combinations.

This is also intended to be offered as a self-assessment. By creating a target with 4 bullseyes on a single piece of paper, your score will more honestly reflect your relative strengths and weaknesses. This might be less so if standard targets are used, which might otherwise tempt the shooter to cherrypick their best results while ignoring the rest.

1. Target:

a. Print the attached target containing 4 bullseyes on standard 8.5 x 11” paper. The 4 bullseyes correspond to 4 combinations of strong/weak, 2- and 1-handed shooting. More info is included below.

b. To be valid, the overall score is to be determined from bullseyes from the same target, i.e. on the same piece of paper. If you flub a string, you can certainly re-shoot, but you'll have to use a fresh target and re-shoot everything to be valid.

c. Any one target should be completed in one trip to the range. Once you "start" the match by shooting one of the bullseyes, finish it by shooting the other 3.

d. No fliers. Everything counts. If you miss the paper entirely, or one of your shots encroaches on another bullseye, be honest, and let that shot count as "zero".

2. Distance: 21 feet (7 yards)

3. Shooting: 5 aimed deliberate shots per bullseye, 20 rounds total, shot standing, unsupported, double action only! As indicated in Rule 1 and on the target itself, you'll be shooting 4 combinations of strong/weak and one/two-handed.

a. Upper right bullseye: Shot 2-handed, with your strong hand firing the gun.
b. Upper left bullseye: Shot 2-handed, with your weak hand firing the gun.
c. Lower right bullseye: Shot 1-handed with your strong hand.
d. Lower left bullseye: Shot 1-handed with your weak hand.

4. Scoring: Total points. 200 possible. The higher point is awarded if the hole touches a line.

5. Sights: Irons only.

6. 3 Categories: Snubbie (≤3" barrel), Service (3"-4" barrel) and Target (>4") Revolver categories. Rimfire and centerfire compete together.

7. Reporting, Submission & Posting of Scores: A shooter may submit scores for any category they qualify, and may submit multiple times per category. Targets and scores may be posted directly to the thread or PM'd to me. Include the specific gun, barrel length and caliber. At the end of the match I'll post all the scores, but only reveal the top shooter in each category.

8. Completion Date: Midnight (EST), Saturday, February 28th. I'll try to post the results the next day.

I haven’t yet had the chance to try my hand at this revised version, and hope to get to the range early next week. In the meantime, if anyone has any feedback, feel free to pass it on.

Good Shooting!

DAfunShoot.v2.0.pdf
Old January 12, 2009, 07:19 AM   #2
rjrivero

Thanks Mr. Borland. This revised system makes it easier for a simpleton like me to get behind.
Old January 12, 2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

sounds like fun... but my range will be subject to below zero temps most of the week, so I can only play if we get a break in the weather... & even then, it would be easiest to ride my snowmobile out to the range

now if you choose to do this again in the summer...
Old January 19, 2009, 05:15 PM   #4
MrBorland

OK, folks, I've been out of town for a bit, but finally had some time to load up some wadcutters (a first for me) and head out to the range to give this Fun Shoot a try.

I used my 4" 617 .22LR as well as my 4" 686 .357, so all submitted to the "Service Revolver" category.

I shot 3 targets each and in the interest of full disclosure, I'm posting all targets, including one I used as a "warmup". A random subset of 3 are posted here, and I'll post the rest on THR.

Break out those wadcutters, and Good Shooting!

Target 1: 4" 686, score = 189

Target 2: 4" 686, score = 186

Target 3: 4" 617, score = 175

Last edited by MrBorland; January 19, 2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old January 19, 2009, 07:49 PM   #5
charleym3

Looks like we're going to be snowed out of work tomorrow so I can do a little shooting in the back yard. Wish I had wadcutter ammo, drat, and double drat.
Old January 20, 2009, 08:18 AM   #6
MrBorland

Me too. Same storm. And why I went to the range yesterday. I'll load some more wadcutters today

Anyone else?!

Good luck
Old January 21, 2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Nevertoomanyguns

I will have to give it a try on a warm day. I only have a 6" 686. Is it a requirement that we use wadcutters? I only have full power 158gr. and 180gr. handloads made up right now and have no wadcutters on hand. My 180gr. cast bullets punch nice near wadcutter holes I might use those.
Old January 21, 2009, 10:31 AM   #8
MrBorland

Quote:
Wish I had wadcutter ammo, drat, and double drat.
Quote:
Is it a requirement that we use wadcutters?

Wadcutters just make the scoring easier. Shoot whatever you like.
Old January 23, 2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Nevertoomanyguns

Need To Practice

Well it was fun, but an eye opener, I need to practice. I know excuses are like A-holes, everyone has one, but I haven't shot my revolver in about 6 months, instead I've been shooting my bottom feeders. I found that I am all right two handed DA but my weak hand and my 1 hand shooting needs to be improved on. I also learned that I need to stop staging the trigger. I kept finding myself slowly pulling then stopping to get sight back on target then following through and consistently pulling my shots. I fired 12 shots in the end two handed strong hand without staging, just consistent follow through and found that I shot better this way.

My range conditions were less than ideal, with a balmy 18 degrees with about 5-10 mph winds and A nice and Icy range I think that I did alright. We need a Version 3.0 summer shoot. Here is my range:

To the right of the blow down is where I was actually shooting:

6" 686 plus Shooting .357 mag hand loads
This is my first string warm up round. This string I fired my 158gr. speer JSP over 15gr. of H110

Score = 118

2nd string

Score= 130

Last edited by Nevertoomanyguns; January 23, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old January 23, 2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Nevertoomanyguns

3rd string but ran out of 158gr bullets so my 1-handed weak was my 180gr. cast over 14gr. of H110

Score= 147

4th string all 180gr.

Score= 132 found myself staging the trigger like crazy here as you can see in my 2 hand weak pulled 3 shot real bad.

Then I fired what I had left over 12 rounds of 180gr. Two handed strong side fairly fast with no staging of the trigger just consistent smooth follow through. I think if I had more ammo made up and stopped staging the trigger I would improve a lot.

I WON'T WIN ANY AWARDS, BUT I WAS HONEST AND DIDN'T HIDE ANYTHING HOPE EVERYONE ELSE DOES THE SAME
Old January 23, 2009, 01:53 PM   #11
MrBorland

Let me be the first to say that, given the range conditions and the full power ammo you were using, you are one tough hombre! I can honestly say I don't think I'd be posting scores as high in those conditions. I was shooting bunny fart target ammo in a warm, well-lit & calm indoor range.

Quote:
Well it was fun, but an eye opener, I need to practice.

I found that I am all right two handed DA but my weak hand and my 1 hand shooting needs to be improved on.

I also learned that I need to stop staging the trigger.

I WON'T WIN ANY AWARDS, BUT I WAS HONEST
Yep - this is what it's all about. Thanks for participating.

Quote:
We need a Version 3.0 summer shoot.
Stay tuned...

And just a reminder to others - DA Fun Shoot v2.0 runs 'til the end of February. Plenty of time to get to the range!
Old January 23, 2009, 03:37 PM   #12
Nevertoomanyguns

MrBorland, thanks and by the way even with "bunny fart target ammo", thats some pretty good shooting you did. I think I need to load up Some .38 wadcutters and try it again. My weak side palm was starting to feel it towards the end. I do usually shoot in SA but this was fun and it gives me a weakness to improve on.

If you want you can post this on THR too, if not I will do it myself sometime.

MrBorland how do you like your 617? is a 10 shot? I would really like to get one for cheaper practice time.

Last edited by Nevertoomanyguns; January 23, 2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old January 23, 2009, 04:08 PM   #13
MrBorland

Quote:
If you want you can post this on THR too, if not I will do it myself sometime.
I posted it there as well, but it could always use a "bump"

Quote:
how do you like your 617? is a 10 shot? I would really like to get one for cheaper practice time.
My 617 is a 10-shot. terrific gun. It's bone stock, except for some Miculek grips. Only about 2 years old, it's got The Lock, but it shoots every bit as good as, or even better than, my ever-revered 6" 6-shot K-22 (which is currently out for some 'smithing). So much for inferior MIM parts, short cuts in modern manufacturing, blah blah blah.

Anyhow, I digress. I like my 6-shot K-22 just fine, but in this platform, a 10 shot is nice to have. They're not particularly cheap up front, but considering how much I shoot it, it was one of my smarter purchases.
Old February 11, 2009, 06:31 PM   #14
MrBorland

It's been a while, and since I just got my 6" K-22 back from the 'smith, the ol' Fun Shoot is due for a bump. I only shot 2 targets, so I'm posting both here and on THR.

I have much more trigger time with my 4" 617, from, so even though my K-22 is a 6" target revolver, I was surprised that I was able to outscore the 617. It's a pretty sweet gun and I'm looking forward to spending some more quality time with it.

Anyhow, the Fun Shoot's still open until the end of February, so there's still time to get out to the range and give it a whirl.

K-22 Target #1; Score = 186

K-22 Target #2; Score = 180