The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 13, 2009, 12:06 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

starting to get angry with S&W...

I reciently bought a new S&W 610, & when checking it out, I thought it had excessive head space... a call to S&W confirmed that they agreed, & I should not shoot it, & send the gun back...:barf:

this, in of its self, is a bit angering, as this was a ( my cost ) over $700.00 brand new revolver, that I've paid for, & am not able to shoot, because of poor S&W QC... the Customer service person told me that they were running behind the normal 2 week turn around, as they were shutdown for 2 weeks over the holidays, & that I should expect 4-6 weeks turn around on getting my new, yet unfired revolver back... now a little more unhappy

now it has been a week since I finally was able to get ahold of S&W ( I had tried for a couple days before I got to actually talk to anyone ), & I still don't have a recall tag . at this rate, it's going to be 3 months from when I paid for a gun from them, before I can shoot it... totally unacceptable... unless things progress quicker than they expect, or the thing comes back plated in gold ( I'm not really after a gold plated revolver ), this may be my last S&W ... as a professional, & a manufacturer, I'm trying to be understanding, but this is starting to push the limit...

your guys thoughts ???
Old January 13, 2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Erich

Chill. If this is the biggest problem that you have in life, you're blessed.

Yes, it's frustrating, but - it's just not that important. Hope your day gets better and I'm sure it'll all be worked out by the end of the month.
Old January 13, 2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

First Thought: Was that there must be dozens of these things out there that nobody ever checks, getting shot and shot. That could probably be dangerous.

Second: An assumption that the place you bought it isn't a local guy you know well who would just trade it for another?

Third: I hate when I pay good money for a quality product and get junk.

Fourth: I'd be mad.
Old January 13, 2009, 12:16 PM   #4
David Armstrong

4-6 week turnaround, including a 2-week holiday break? That isn't bad, IMO. As for the headspace, sometimes guns make it out of the factory with problems. Didn't you inspect the firearm at the store? Was the problem obvious?
Old January 13, 2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
there must be dozens of these things out there that nobody ever checks, getting shot and shot. That could probably be dangerous.
I agree... this is my 1st moon clip revolver, & it has over twice what I'd expect to be exceptable... probably would only damage brass, & cause the gun to wear faster than it should... but if it caused hotter hunting loads to split the case, it could cause inury to the shooter...

Quote:
An assumption that the place you bought it isn't a local guy you know well who would just trade it for another?
maybe I should talk to them... I did buy it locally, but since the paperwork has been done, & serial numbers recorded, etc... I assumed that a good local dealer would rather let S&W take care of it, as it was not the problem of the retailer ???

Quote:
As for the headspace, sometimes guns make it out of the factory with problems. Didn't you inspect the firearm at the store? Was the problem obvious?
the gun was wearing a chastity belt, & no the problem wasn't obvious... the trigger ( from dry firing ) is one of the nicest out of box triggers I've ever gotten...I have to admit, that I've never checked the head space of a brand new revolver, & I don't think the average Joe would have a clue, ( I certainly didn't, since this was my 1st moon clip gun, & I didn't know what to expect... my local gun smith buddy is the one that noticed it, & recommended I didn't shoot the gun ) if I had not planned on this gun for a project, I'd have never noticed it until I either questioned the damaged brass, or got ruptured cases

Quote:
4-6 week turnaround, including a 2-week holiday break? That isn't bad, IMO.
... "after" thier 2 week shut down, not including, & IMO, the most irritating point is that I haven't got the recall tag one full week after talking to them...
Old January 13, 2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I assumed that a good local dealer would rather let S&W take care of it, as it was not the problem of the retailer ???
You're probably right but the guy I deal with is a personal friend so if I told him what happened he'd make the trade... if he could. I don't know the rules about the serial numbers and such things so it might not be possible.
Old January 13, 2009, 05:17 PM   #7
2kflhr

In NC my brother bought a auto pistol the other week and returned it without a problem.
Old January 13, 2009, 06:40 PM   #8
lomaxanderson

TRy shooting another gun while you wait ...Smith and Wesson will make it right ...probally throw in something for the hassle if you ask nice nice ...sugar not vinager you know ...I bought a para sx745s that went back to the factory 58 rounds later and they wouldn't compensate me for shipping it back and they sure didn't tell me when it was coming back (so some one could sign)...it's gone now replaced by a kimber ...see if you can get some trigger work while it's there

Mason Rhea Gsd
Old January 13, 2009, 07:35 PM   #9
Mtn Biker

I would look at it like this; the customer service rep and the repair center did not have anything to do with building the gun and probably hate to see crummy products being sold with S&W's name one it. They are there to help you and get it fixed and you happy. They are on your side. I would give them a chance to get it right. You can and should be bent about the products quality but hopefully you will feel good about the repair service.
Now if they let you down on the repair end........

VL
Old January 13, 2009, 07:47 PM   #10
btolliverjr

While it does suck and would be really dissapointing to buy an new gun, not be able to shoot it, and have to send it back for repair and not even have it for a while, I don't think it is good enough cause just to write off smith & wesson. They will make it right for you, just be a little patient
Old January 13, 2009, 09:20 PM   #11
tipoc

In situations like this the best course of action is to return the gun to the dealer you got it from. His/her connections are better and faster than yours and as a reputable dealer he will want to know about selling a gun to a person and it being out-a-spec. He'll also want the distributor (or S&W directly)to know so that they can make it right as soon as possible. Dealers sometimes keep tabs on this sort of thing. You can also learn something from how the dealer responds.

peetzakilla, this ain't a criticism, just some experience.

tipoc
Old January 13, 2009, 09:24 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
peetzakilla, this ain't a criticism, just some experience.

Didn't I make the same suggestion?
Old January 13, 2009, 09:29 PM   #13
Webleymkv

In my experience, S&W typically overestimates their repair times. I wouldn't be suprised if you had it back much faster than they said you would. As far as the recall tag goes, are you sure that's S&W's fault? The mail, in my experience, isn't always the most dependable thing around.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:44 PM   #14
inSight-NEO

Dont feel too bad. I cant vouch for the S&W thing, but Im certainly no stranger to waiting times/frustration when it comes to new weapon purchases.

1) Upon buying my latest Sig, I "had" to immediately return it due to finish issues...3 to 4 weeks

2) Ordered a Benelli SNT (was VERY anxious to get this one)...6 to 8 weeks

It happens and yes, it is exceptionally frustrating when it does. But, as I have found, it all works out in the end. Getting angry will only make the time go much, much slower. Trust me.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; January 13, 2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:06 PM   #15
G-man 26

Hey, it could be worse. You could be dealing with Remington.

Two rifles and THREE YEARS later, I am finally done with that bs. Good luck on your revolver. We'll look forward to the range report?
Old January 13, 2009, 10:22 PM   #16
orionengnr

Just curious--where do you get three months? I see two weeks, plus probably a week once you send it in.

My very limited experience with S&W Customer Service was exemplary. I sent in an S&W 396 that had damage to it's finish due to the previous owner's using an unidentified chemical. It was back in my hands less than seven days after it left, totally re-finished, good as new, no charge.

I think you know which revolver I speak of Give them a chance, they will make it right.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:31 PM   #17
dandydany

I experienced the same thing last year with a S & W 625 JM having QC problems. So I called the dealer who gracefully offer me a choice and I got my money back. As you know , that's one of the most wanted and expensive model in their line and if they come up with this kind of quality, I'll keep my Webley which has a better fit where the Smith failed, a lot better.And by careful proper reloading or buying ammo , that gun will do it's job. If you can't get high quality in the high end , why argue you, just return the junk back...Dan
Old January 13, 2009, 11:31 PM   #18
bluetopper

It'll be OK. S&W will make it right and stand behind their stuff 100%.
The 610 is a great piece that no one else makes.

Big picture? This will be over and done before you know it and you will always have a wheel gun that shoots 40 and 10mm with the great Smith fit, finish and trigger that breaks like glass.
Old January 13, 2009, 11:36 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

not to spoil a good rant, but...

consider for a moment what you have told us. You think the revolver has excessive headspace. You admit it is your first moon clip revolver. S&W agrees with you over the phone and says don't shoot it, send it in.

Neither you nor S&W knows the revolver has excessive headspace until it is examined by their techs. S&W has to tell you to send it in, so they can verify its condition. Anything else is bad business.

You are in the middle of the worst winter in years, during the slowest snail mail time of year, and holiday vacations just add to the delays.

You may be entirely correct. And your frustration is understandable, but..there are entirely valid reasons why things are going to take longer than you would like.

Sure, even the mighty S&W lets a bad gun get out past QC once in a while. And this may be the case, but based on what you have told us, you don't know that for certain, yet. So save at least part of your anger until you know for certain you bought a lemon. Then you can rant about how bad S&W is. Even though it won't be fully justified. And swearing off S&W because of one bad gun, and the time it takes them to do something about it is, I feel premature.

That being said, know that I am not apologising for S&W, only pointing out that you are assuming the worst without all the facts being in yet. I haven't bought any new S&Ws in years, preferring the old pinned and recessed guns. But my got one of their 1911s last year, and it has proven to be a very fine gun.

I know its difficult to wait, considering the money you paid, and the frustration not being able to use your new toy. But be patient. I do believe S&W will do you right in the long run, although it will take as long as it takes.
Old January 14, 2009, 03:38 AM   #20
Elvishead

According to your Call name, your not without a gun/gunless. So, it's not life or death, is it?
Old January 14, 2009, 07:30 AM   #21
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the comments guys... I understand everything, but the slow reaction time on the recall tag ( & how a gun could leave the factory with .017" to .020" of headspace in the 1st place )... I hope the recall tag gets here today

44 AMP...

Quote:
my local gun smith buddy is the one that noticed it,
I wouldn't have noticed it, but with factory loaded cartridges the gun had .017" head space... if the brass were the shortest allowed by the cartridge specs, the gun would have had over .020" head space...

LOWMAX...

the trigger is already awesome... I hope they don't change anything there...

ORIONENGNR...

Quote:
the Customer service person told me that they were running behind the normal 2 week turn around, as they were shutdown for 2 weeks over the holidays, & that I should expect 4-6 weeks turn around on getting my new, yet unfired revolver back
this was ( I assume ) from the time they actually recieve the revolver... it's now been over a week since I talked to them, & I haven't recieved the recall tag yet... I've been expecting it the last 3-4 business days... BTW... "that" 396 is still one of my favorite guns, & IMO, the perfect carry gun... I have no eye deer why you let that one go...
Old January 14, 2009, 07:42 AM   #22
Keltyke

Quote:
I reciently bought a new S&W 610,
Trade it in and buy 2 Taurii.

Seriously - if you go at S&W with the wrong end of the pitchfork, they'll throw your gun in the corner and get to it whenever they see fit. I wouldn't blame them. Talk to them nicely and someone there just may go the extra mile for you.

I know it's an angering, frustrating situation, but remember - the guys fixing your gun aren't the ones who made the manufacturing mistake.

Even S&W has bad days.
Old January 14, 2009, 09:51 AM   #23
9mm1033

Being an owner of several S&W guns and having sent several to them for repair (one was three times) I know you are upset. But, I can tell you this, it will be fixed. Maybe not as fast as you wish, but it will be done correctly. When mine was shipped three times, the gunsmith told me they receive 125+ guns a day for repair. The vast majority are so minor they are returned to the owner within days. Another way to look at it is the S&H is FREE. I had to pay for everything when I shipped away my Sig for repair. Shoot something else and suddenly your repaired revolver when show up at your door.
Old January 14, 2009, 02:13 PM   #24
Magnum Wheel Man

no recall tag today either... tomorrow will be a week & a half... if it's not here by then... I'm calling back...
Old January 15, 2009, 01:09 AM   #25
458winshooter

A Smith needing a smithy.....

Remember patience is a virtue.And be sure that all these guys that say S&W are the best heed your message that any company may make a mistake.Hope that things do go well for you and you do get to enjoy your gun.