The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 8, 2009, 03:21 PM   #101
Perajio

Ain't that the truth......

Join The NRA and protect you're rights!
Old February 8, 2009, 03:22 PM   #102
mordis

To bad you cant use reloads for SD, would solve the need stock up. It seems the only handgun ammo my walmarts carry is wwb, in both fmj and jhp flavours. I didnt think there were highly regarded in the shooting world.
Old February 8, 2009, 03:31 PM   #103
freakintoguns

i just picked up a box of 100 .45 ACP and 2 boxes of 15 2.75 inch shotgun slugs last ntie at 2 different walmarts here. they seem to be the only place with any ammo. gonna be back there next payday to get some more slugs and more .45
Old February 8, 2009, 07:12 PM   #104
coondogger

Reloading makes sense if you go through a lot of rounds. Or if there are impending shortages. The problem, however, is obstacle to entry. It can cost up to a thousand dollars to get started in reloading.
Old February 8, 2009, 08:25 PM   #105
levrluvr

Quote:
It can cost up to a thousand dollars to get started in reloading.
Not entirely accurate. It can, depending on what mfg. equipment and what type of equipment you buy.
I purchased everything needed to reload except the consumables a couple of years ago, and just didn't have the time to get started. I spent all of about $175 on everything for loading .357 and .30-30. I even picked up a nice MEC for 12 guage on ebay for $50.
Now I have the time, and the 'obstacle for entry' isn't equipment availability or cost. It's the simple fact that I can't buy the primers and powders locally or online that I want to get started.
Had I bought everything when I purchased the equipment, I'd be sitting just fine right now. Hopefully the component situation will improve.
Old February 8, 2009, 10:53 PM   #106
FyredUp

I was in the Portage Wisconsin WalMart last week and they had all kinds of pistol ammo in .380, 9mm, .38, .357, and .40. No .45 of any kind. There was rifle ammuntion of many calibers. Plenty of boxes WWB in 7.62x39. Also plenty of boxes of .22 ammo.
Old February 13, 2009, 10:38 PM   #107
Calhoun123

My Walmart has 1 box of .44 mag. Over the past few weeks I have seen them put a few boxes of pistol ammo on the shelves and they sell within a day or two. Ironically, this is at a Walmart that is not in a location that should service many shooters or hunters.
Old February 21, 2009, 08:22 PM   #108
Stan200

Finally got some ammo at Wally world. Bought all 5 boxes of .45 Blazers they had. But they still don't have .380 Auto and I've been looking for 3 weeks...Arrrrghh. They always seem to have 9mm but I don't use it. My local ranges and Cabellas seem to have everything but they are way more expensive.

As a side note, the price of ammo at Cabellas irritates me. I love that store, but I will NEVER buy ammo there. If they even came close to Wally World I would go out of my way to go there, and probably buy all of those other things I want at the same time. Their loss.
Old February 22, 2009, 10:08 PM   #109
Jeffenwulf

There's nothing on the shelves at Wally world or Academy here. I'm absolutely amazed at how cleaned out they are. Luckily my favorite gun shop still has stuff in stock as long as you're not picky about what it is. The prices have gone up a bit, but I've been shopping there for years and I'll keep going.
Old February 22, 2009, 10:12 PM   #110
rioalumni05

local walmart today had LOTS of blazer brass 9mm and .40 .. they used to not sell blazer at all, but all of a sudden thats all thats on the shelves. no bulk .22, and everything else is still picked pretty clean..
Old February 22, 2009, 10:16 PM   #111
Khaot1c

I went to the Bass Pro this weekend in Independance Missouri to get some .45 ACP. they had NONE. The local Walmart in Warrensburg has a couple boxes left, but thats it.
Yes, the Obama Scare certianly has sparked a few areas of the economy. Another democrat in The Office will surely mean tougher regulations for the law following gun owners. There has already been an email make dozen rounds through my home and work email INBOX about the gun buyers/owners registartion and the ammo "tax" and "stamp". Resolutions are going into the house all the time. Heck, there is even a REALLY good resolution about self-defense with hand guns.
One of the guys running the gun range at Bass Pro said that by and by, since November their gun sales have increased 10x and their stock on guns and ammo proves it.

Heck, I'm just trying to replenish what i've shot on the reloading bench, but Midway is out of bulk packages of .40 and .45
Old February 22, 2009, 10:48 PM   #112
Any .45

haven't been able to find .45 at all but have had some luck at the wally world have gotten 1200 rounds as previously mentioned and picked 250 round of hornandy 55gr SP at 29.99 a box of 50rnds.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old February 23, 2009, 07:28 AM   #113
publius42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabo
I saw where someone said they went and bought all 2400 rounds of .40 at their Wal-Mart. What are you going to do with that? Kill a lot of zombies? LOL.
It disappears pretty quick! I might shoot a box or two and my wife might do the same, and maybe we have a friend or two along, and before you know it 300 rounds are gone. If our MegaLoMart had 2,400 rounds of .40, I might just buy 'em too!
Old February 24, 2009, 10:00 PM   #114
stercrazy

Ammo in Boise

Well it seems that most of the local Wal Marts and several of the other stores in this area just do not have much if any ammo on the shelves.

One store in particular just can not seem to get much in and it is gone almost as fast as it is on the shelfs.

No Pistol ammo of any kind and 22 bulk when it comes in is gone in a matter of hours.

Very little rifle ammo mainly the large magnums, Weatherby and 338 stuff. Best of luck guys on getting ammo of any kind and I have been told that reloading supplys are also getting hard to find.

Best of luck and aren't we lucky to have such a wonder group leading our country?
Old February 25, 2009, 01:38 AM   #115
Capt_Vin

Over this past week-end, I went to the local Wally-World to buy some Federal .223 ammo they sell in a 250 count bulk pack. I usually handload my own, but decided to buy some primarily for the 750 pieces of once fired brass that it would produce after an hour or so at the range on a sunny tropical
(-2*) winter Sunday morning here in Central New York, LOL!). I asked Waldo (the name we have tagged male Walmat employees with here) for 3 boxes and he told me that there is a one box per customer per day limit on all centerfire rifle ammo in Wally-World now. I asked why and he said it had something to do with a company directive that said they can't let people "illegally" stockpile ammo bought in their stores under the new gun laws. I asked "What new gun laws?" and he said "yeah, I know, but some people are just a**holes when it comes to guns". He then told me if I really wanted to buy 3 boxes, to buy one, bring it out to the car, come back in, buy another, put it in the car, and come in for a 3rd. He wouldn't say anything. At least Wally-World still employs someone who is into guns and has half a brain.
Old February 27, 2009, 12:09 PM   #116
gregjc9

Found a Wal-Mart with ammo

Found one that had 3 shelves of WWB 9mm FNJ 100cnt, as well as .22LR and many other calibers. Unfortunately they were out of .380

The WWB 9mm 100cnt was 19.97 and the Federal 525 value pack of .22 was 13.47. From what little I've researched ammo prices these are cheaper than the NRA range charges, and what's listed at www.amunitiontogo.com. I'm sure there are others cheaper, I just like to go and pick up a few boxes when I need them, so this works for me.

For those in the N. Va area, it's the one on Manchester blvd in Springfield, if you're interested.

Looks like range time tomorrow.
Old February 27, 2009, 01:34 PM   #117
Jekyll

Apply the Heisenberg Ammo Uncertainty Principle: you can have a source with ammo supplies or you can advertise a source with ammo supplies but you can't have both. Once you advertise a source with ammo supplies, you no longer have a source with ammo. Advertising the quality alters the quality.

It may be a bit esoteric, but it may be true in today's market place.
Old February 27, 2009, 01:51 PM   #118
Wasabi

Now that was some funny chit and I wholeheartingly agree.
Old February 27, 2009, 01:51 PM   #119
gregjc9

So you're saying I shouldnt help out fellow enthusiasts in the area? Sorry, not my style.
Old February 27, 2009, 02:53 PM   #120
Terry A

Found a WalMart with ammo????

Pictures or it didn't happen!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old February 27, 2009, 03:02 PM   #121
Jekyll

Quote:
So you're saying I shouldnt help out fellow enthusiasts in the area? Sorry, not my style.
Greg, sorry you didn't get it. Wasabe and Terry got it.
Old February 27, 2009, 03:05 PM   #122
SPUSCG

mine has such limited ammo, too bad cabelas is so expensive. there was a ton of cheap 12ga sluggers. Weird thing, no buckshot. just some 3.5 in stuff, nothing i can use.
Old February 27, 2009, 03:18 PM   #123
ZEBRARANGER

All three Walmarts in my area has been out of everything even slugs and buckshot for the last two months. But I went into the Tampa store this morning for some of those small propane cylinders and walked by the ammo counter, there was a lady there stocking a whole cart of ammo onto the shelves. She said she just got a truck in and only one cart of ammo which amounted to about 15 cases. So I stood there picking what I needed as she opened the boxes. She said it will all be gone by 6pm. I got a few boxes each of .40 S&W, .357Mag, .223, and they had no buckshot.
Old February 27, 2009, 03:30 PM   #124
SPUSCG

only cabelas has buck, at 6 bucks a box of 5 for cheapo remington, fed powershock, 7 bucks, winchester supreme, like 9 seriously they are the only store with buck that will fit in non-uber magnum chambers whats with buckshot shortsages, youd expect sluggs to be harder to find, obama wanting to ban them and all
Old February 27, 2009, 04:34 PM   #125
gregjc9

Quote:
Greg, sorry you didn't get it. Wasabe and Terry got it.
You're right I didnt. That's what emoticons are for, to help ensure the correct message is relayed. Apologizes to Jekyll if I took his post differently than he intended.

Tags
9mm , academy