The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 7, 2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Maximus856

What type of enthusiast are you?

I dont mean rifle, pistol, or scattergun type.

I mean when it comes to the way others perceive our hobby. To be a little more clear, I'll try to explain what I am. I am not near as proactive on the legal aspect as others or as I should be. However I do look at shooting as a very 'mentally healthy' and very positive thing. I don't get into heated debates with the antis, but I try to encourage others to at least try it. I absoluetly LOVE teaching shooting (though I have plenty more to learn). When I go shooting, I try to take someone new almost every time even if its on my dime. So basically, people perceive me to be someone with firearms who enjoys shooting, but isnt an all out 'gun nut.' But when I think of the gentleman who first started me on firearms (age 10?), I see him as a gun nut through and through!

I know some guys are very quiet about their passion, others do it as a family thing, some make their life out of it, some do it as just another thing to doand then theres those that people see as that crazy old lady with a 100 cats!

So where do you fit in in the demographics of the shooting community?
Old February 7, 2009, 09:06 PM   #2
noyes

I pretty much get the " What the hell do you need that for " treatment. On & off the range.

But than I do offer to let them try it. Some do and like it . Some don't.

Last edited by noyes; February 7, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old February 7, 2009, 09:11 PM   #3
grymster2007

I'm the grim bastard on the very far lane, shooting poorly and muttering to himself about what a waste of time loading and shooting really is.
Old February 7, 2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Webleymkv

Quote:
I don't get into heated debates with the antis, but I try to encourage others to at least try it.
That's actually pretty wise. In my experience, a staunch, died-in-the-wool anti already has his or her mind made up and can't be bothered with facts or logic. Arguing with such a person typically leads only to frustration and high blood pressure. Fortunately, there are relatively few of these people and most people with open minds are willing to at least listen are give things a try.
Old February 8, 2009, 09:10 AM   #5
huff

quote: I pretty much get the " What the hell do you need that for " treatment.
-----------------

From the wife, I have and will continue to try to get her to the range. Have taken a couple of friends shooting and one is now a regular.
Old February 8, 2009, 09:16 AM   #6
akr

I hope they do think I'm crazy. Maybe they will leave me alone.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old February 8, 2009, 09:22 AM   #7
sserdlihc

I do it here lately more as a family thing. When it comes to antis...well, we have a right to express opinions and debate these opinions. I just don't socialize with very many anti's.
Old February 8, 2009, 01:30 PM   #8
NRAhab

I realized a while back I wasn't much of a collector. For me, a gun doesn't have a lot of inherent value unless it's a gun I'm going to shoot on a regular basis, so I sold off a bunch of the "collector's items" and simplified to guns that I shoot regularly.

As far as the activism side goes, I try to stay very involved in pro-gun activism, but I'm a shooter first and an activist second. The activism is more a function of my desire to keep shooting than it is out of any sort of altruism.
Old February 8, 2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Piper Cub

I only own only a AK myself. I'd like to get a pistol of some kind but no cash.
Old February 8, 2009, 05:39 PM   #10
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
In my experience, a staunch, died-in-the-wool anti already has his or her mind made up and can't be bothered with facts or logic. Arguing with such a person typically leads only to frustration and high blood pressure.
Those are the ones that need to be publicly embarrassed. Facts and logic hurled at them that call into question their entire way of thinking, especially when they are spouting off in front of their friends, are decidedly delicious. An ashen stone faced person with his "friends" clapping for you is a sight to behold.
Old February 8, 2009, 05:55 PM   #11
EricReynolds

I'm a rare moderate on the forums. I support almost everyone's right to own a firearm, but believe it should be controlled. That's why I said almost. I believe in gun control. Anyone who says they aren't in favor of gun control is crazy. It's a question of where we draw the line. Now I'm going to hear it.
Old February 8, 2009, 05:56 PM   #12
murphjup

I like them All!!

Old February 8, 2009, 06:00 PM   #13
B.N.Real

People that start that crap with me get the quick reply of,"Well,when the criminal gets done killing all of your family and comes over to my house,I will have an answer that does'nt include running my mouth."

Or if it's a civil discussion theres always,"Feel free to be a defenseless victim,just don't expect my wife and I to be one."

Or,in the real world,there are people that don't give a damn what you think,just what you havethat they can take or destroy.

Or,"Handguns,self defense in seconds,when the police are minutes away."

Frankly,that's a favorite of mine because it is totally accurate and true.

And it totally baffles my simple mind when a very attractive 110 pound woman tells me that I should not have firearms,that we should all just "help each other get along".

She is a prime target of criminals and a handgun (and the proper training for where and when to use it)is one of the only things that can stop her from being a victim.

The same goes for old folks as well, a new best victim for the gutless pieces of feces running the streets of America.

This is the REAL WORLD.

You Cannot Ignore Threats to make Them Go Away.

They Are Out There Right Now.

Are You Ready To Fight To Save Your Life If You Need To Right Now?

Be Ready.

That Can Prevent Crime From Striking In The First Place.

And in closing,am I a Gun Nut?

No.

I am a Life Nut-and I will defend mine and those that I love right till the end of it.

ARMED.
Old February 8, 2009, 06:14 PM   #14
Ed K

with the blatent political corruption we have just witnessed how could any one say any gun controll is good,give an inch take a mile not a foot is their belief and practice. If and only IF there was honesty in our Govt. might it be considered. The Second Admendment was written to PROTECT US from CORRUPT GOVT. like we now have PERIOD..............................................
What part of this DON'T you understand.
Old February 8, 2009, 07:06 PM   #15
akr

You must be talking to Eric.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old February 8, 2009, 07:22 PM   #16
Chuckusaret

I carry my weapon 99% of the time. It is a concealed carry, how would they know I was carrying and why should I tell
Old February 8, 2009, 08:12 PM   #17
bbqbob51

I own only 4 guns so I would consider myself a mild "gun nut" or moderate enthusiast. I enjoy going out a few times a week, weather permitting and shooting with my brother, brother in laws and friends. I think any law abidiing sane citizen should be able to own any firearm they want with the only restriction being a background check.
Old February 8, 2009, 10:30 PM   #18
FyredUp

I am not a hunter, well, at least not an avid hunter. I have squirrel and turkey hunted but not lately.

My focus has changed, I like to target shoot and I am teaching my girlfriend to shoot and I take my sons with me when they want to go. The other focus is more on the self defense aspect of being a gun owner. I work 24 shifts at the firehouse meaning my girlfriend and kids are here without me for periods of time. I am working hard to teach my girlfriend how to be able tom protect herself and my kids and hers when I am gone.

Gun nut? Nope, gun realist.
Old February 9, 2009, 10:51 AM   #19
The Great Mahoo

Hmm, interesting question.

I only buy guns that I can and will shoot, so I don't spend money on safe-queens or anything of the nature. If its rare, I may buy it, but only if I will shoot it. I've tried to thin down my collection to a few work horses, but I can't seem to do it.

But as they say, "Variety is the spice of life!"

In terms of dealing with others, I am usually fairly quiet about my hobby. I seldom advertise that I am into shooting, but will talk openly about it if one asks. Once someone knows I shoot, I will gladly talk about it, but usually don't bring it up myself. I have taught several people to shoot (or rather, introduced them to shooting, I suppose) in the last 18 months or so. I have even begun mentioning to more people about my trips to ranges or looking into competetive shooting. But in general, I would say that fewer people I talk to know about my hobby than those that do, and fewer still know anything about my concealed-carry tendencies.

I guess all in all, I am becoming more open about it.
Old February 9, 2009, 06:56 PM   #20
EricReynolds

OK, I got people mad. I knew I would. Let me pose this question, "Should convicted felons be allowed to own guns? How about people with mental illness? Children?" If you answered no, then you support some form of gun control. Now on the other hand, should a law abiding citizen with a crystaal clear background, working in security be denied the right to carry? Like I said, it's a matter of where do we draw the line? A lot of gun enthusiasts really support ANYONE's right to bear arms. Felons lose a lot of rights, but they're still citizens. So should the 2nd ammendment still apply to them? I think not. That's the type of enthusiast I am. A moderate.
Old February 9, 2009, 06:57 PM   #21
EricReynolds

Is anyone with me? Anyone? I'm lonely.
Old February 9, 2009, 07:09 PM   #22
RockyMtnTactical

Quote:
I pretty much get the " What the hell do you need that for " treatment.
I get that from most people too. Not as often from gunowners, but in some cases...

I believe that people who want more restrictions on firearms are evil and/or ignorant. Many of the restrictions in place now, I dislike and would like to see repealed.
Old February 9, 2009, 07:11 PM   #23
FyredUp

Quote:
EricReynolds: OK, I got people mad. I knew I would. Let me pose this question, "Should convicted felons be allowed to own guns? How about people with mental illness? Children?" If you answered no, then you support some form of gun control. Now on the other hand, should a law abiding citizen with a crystaal clear background, working in security be denied the right to carry? Like I said, it's a matter of where do we draw the line? A lot of gun enthusiasts really support ANYONE's right to bear arms. Felons lose a lot of rights, but they're still citizens. So should the 2nd ammendment still apply to them? I think not. That's the type of enthusiast I am. A moderate.
I'm not mad. Frankly, I think you are a drama queen in the way you approached this. Your do you think felons should have guns? Or kids? Or people with mental illness? Is just plain silly and a waste of time and energy here. I haven't heard a single person advocate letting those groups own guns. Please show me one person on this forum that supports your preposterous stance on this...You can't find a single one because no one will back you. On top of that you know damn well that law prevents your target groups from owning firearms so what was you real point in posting this? To be a pot stirrer? To try and catch someone with your idiotic premise? What?

You are not a moderate anything. If you follow your line of thinking any group YOU decide shouldn't have a gun doesn't get one. An example of how you would whittle away our rights under the Second Ammendment is your working security. Why must someone work security in order to have a concealed carry permit? If they are a law abiding citizen and can pass the requirements to get a permit they should be able to get one. Yet you seem willing to sell that out to only people working security.

I see you as more of an anti-gun rights person than a moderate and I feel sorry for your inability to see that.
Old February 9, 2009, 07:15 PM   #24
dm1333

EricReynolds,

I think I may be with you if you are talking about some very simple, basic restrictions on who can own guns.

As far as what type of enthusiast am I? I have several reputations. One is the "When is that guy moving to Montana to start working on his manifesto?" Another is that of a very enthusiastic upland bird hunter, skeet and trap shooter, .22 bench rester.
Old February 9, 2009, 07:19 PM   #25
Smallgame2100

I'm with Eric.
If a convicted felon has a history of violence with a weapon, why should they get the right to own guns? They had their right and abused it, so they should lose that right.

Its not like they never had it. They used a weapon in form of violence towards a person, so their 2nd Amendment right should be taken away.