The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2009, 02:23 AM   #1
rppearso

30-06 slugs in a .308 brass

Can a 30-06 slug be pulled from the brass and loaded into a .308 brass and fire in a .308 rifle? I looked on the bullet diameter and they appear to be the same size.
Old February 24, 2009, 04:58 AM   #2
hardhit

They are the same diameter dude, you can pullem and reload them as long as you don’t damage the bullet to much use a kinetic bullet puller there cheap and wont damage the bullet.
Old February 24, 2009, 06:39 AM   #3
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. Before you put the 30-06 round in the bullet puller it might pay to loosen the projectile by pushing the projectile into the case a fraction. Make sure you use an appropriate powder recipe. If you are unsure,just ask. Be safe. Have fun.
Old February 24, 2009, 06:52 AM   #4
DiscoRacing

i hope they are the same since i use the same new bullets in both calibers that i shoot frequently
Old February 24, 2009, 08:07 AM   #5
roy reali

One Question

Mr. rppearso, how much, if any, reloading experience do you have?
Old February 24, 2009, 01:41 PM   #6
snuffy

Quote:
Mr. rppearso, how much, if any, reloading experience do you have?
Ditto that! If you have to ask, you need to learn a lot before attempting anything like pulling bullets from one shell, then putting them in another. Reloading isn't rocket science, but you DO have to know the basics.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 24, 2009, 02:33 PM   #7
TATER

There is something about the way you asked this question that comes
across as naïve and too simplistic.....If you have a loaded .308 and a loaded 30.06 round,
And you wish to simply swap the projectiles without knowing their weight. Then the answer is NO.
Old February 24, 2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

That's correct. The longer neck on the .30-06 will allow it to accommodate bullet weights up to 200 or even 220 grains in some shapes without jamming the ogive into the lands. The .308 is limited to 180 grains in most bullet forms.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 24, 2009, 03:04 PM   #9
kraigwy

Quote:
Can a 30-06 slug be pulled from the brass and loaded into a .308 brass and fire in a .308 rifle?
NO, better send me the pulled bullets before you blow up your rifle
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 24, 2009, 05:52 PM   #10
TEDDY

pulling bullets

get the hornady lever bullet puller. works better than any other.and if you pull military you wont get killed if you get a tracer or othe bangers.
Old February 25, 2009, 01:30 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

Thank you, those of you seeing the safety problems with this post.

For the rest of you.... Are you really going to ignore the tremendous amount of danger you could be helping the man get into by pulling a random .30-06 bullet and sticking it into a .308 case with an unknown powder charge and type?

Quote:
Can a 30-06 slug be pulled from the brass and loaded into a .308 brass and fire in a .308 rifle? I looked on the bullet diameter and they appear to be the same size.
If you have to ask that question, you don't understand enough about internal ballistics to do it safely. The answer is NO!! You are more likely to lose your face and hands, than you are to come out unharmed.
Old February 25, 2009, 01:52 AM   #12
hardhit

The question asked was Can a 30-06 slug be pulled from the brass and loaded into a .308 brass and fire in a 308 rifle the answer here is yes they are the same diameter bullet.

The majority NO ALL 3006 loads would over flow the cartridge case of the 308 giving way to a clue that maybe something is wrong here?
Old February 25, 2009, 02:13 AM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The question asked was Can a 30-06 slug be pulled from the brass and loaded into a .308 brass and fire in a 308 rifle the answer here is yes they are the same diameter bullet.
True. They are the same diameter. But, what about bullet weight, contact area, powder charge, powder type, seating depth, and an infinite list of other dangerous variables?

The question may read: "Can a 30-06 slug be pulled from the brass and loaded into a .308 brass and fire in a .308 rifle?"
HOWEVER
It needs to be addressed as: "Can a 30-06 slug be pulled from the brass and loaded into a .308 brass and fired in a .308 rifle SAFELY?"
Old February 25, 2009, 02:40 AM   #14
rppearso

If I were to pull a 3006 slug and put it into a .308 I would use the proper powder load. No I have never done this but my motivation for learning is dependant upon if this is possible. Just so everyone does not think im an 18 yr old kid trying to do something stupid I am 28 with a BS in chemical engineering and my uncle owns all the equipment to do this and asked me if I would be interested and I thought hey there are some cool rounds you can buy for a 30-06 that I cant buy for my .308 and it would be handy to know how to do this. My uncle was not sure since he has never done something like that before he usually just loads in kind. I have also been shooting most of my life and have military experence and own several firearms. If this is in fact possible maybe there are some good books you can recommend on doing this (if you have an ISBN that would be best then I can add it to my list of books on my wishlist on amazon). Im not asking if its hard im asking if its possible. I will be firing the round out of a mil spec PTR-91 so I think I would have to f it up pretty bad to blow that gun apart, but it was an expensive gun and its my baby so I dont even so much as want to damage it so I will make sure I am very anal about loading it right. I wanted to buy the cobb 30-06 but was not prepared to plop down a billion dollars for one and now they are owned by bushmaster anyways maybe they will bring the prices back down to earth becasue they sell in large quantities but if that happens I will probably end up buying a .338 or 416 so I have something to use in case I get a bison tag.

Last edited by rppearso; February 25, 2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old February 25, 2009, 03:30 AM   #15
snuffy

RP, that's more like it. A definitive explanation about what you know, and want to know. You wanted something to read, so here is what I suggest, the ABC'S of reloading.
http://www.amazon.com/Abcs-Reloading...5549988&sr=1-1

Read this first, then get a reloading manual, and read that, at least the front. There, they will tell you the how to and what not to do. Depending on what type of manual you get, there will be specific brands of loaders specified. For instance, Speer will feature RCBS loaders, Hornady will show hornady loaders. A manual put out by a powder company will have no featured loaders, sort of generic info.

After doing your homework, get with your uncle. I'm sure you can then load some good ammo for that rifle.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 25, 2009, 04:45 AM   #16
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day.
Quote:
I thought hey there are some cool rounds you can buy for a 30-06 that I cant buy for my .308 and it would be handy to know how to do this.
I'm no expert, just curios. What are the different ammo types that you are referring to?
Old February 25, 2009, 04:44 PM   #17
hardhit

Quote:
RP, that's more like it. A definitive explanation about what you know, and want to know. You wanted something to read, so here is what I suggest, the ABC'S of reloading.
+1 here
Old February 25, 2009, 05:34 PM   #18
Nnobby45

Quote:
Both calibers use .308 diameter bullets.

What exactly are you talking about? If you mean using load data for the .308 that lists the same bullet that you pulled from the '06 then of course you can.

How did you plan to address the matter of the powder charge---specific powder and correct amount?

Don't even consider doing anything until you learn about handloading.

Components that go into ammo are carefully controlled in a laboratory environment with pressure carefully measured. That information is what goes into loading manuals.
Old February 26, 2009, 01:35 AM   #19
rppearso

Thank you Snuffy for the book info, that book is being added to my wishlist, I can probably order this pretty soon seeing as how some of the books I want to order are like 185$ so I am waiting to buy them until I have the guns I want before they are all banned. Skull and cross bones do you work for the government?
Old February 26, 2009, 02:17 AM   #20
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day and no, I don't work for big brother. lol
I just live in a land of misinformed politicians who are trying to get votes from the vocal minority.
Old February 26, 2009, 02:48 AM   #21
rppearso

I am finding out it is going to be quite the proposition to find any AP ammo (even in 30-06) so I may scrap this idea. Also I dont nessicarily know how to tell the difference between mild steel cores and hardened steel cores and I dont want to order something off the internet without cutting it open or buying from an established gun store. I was just doing some looking around and there are alot of people selling cheap ammo with black tips painted on them. Damn you almost have to make everything yourself these days, its like I need a big warehouse full of milling machines and a big blast furnace so I can melt steel or a lab to react uranium ore down.
Old February 26, 2009, 03:41 AM   #22
rppearso

Everytime I try to find or do something cool regarding firearms it ends up in a dead end, the last cool thing I got related to firearms was a PTR-91 and it took 8 months to get it (granted I was getting it at a cut rate deal) I cant see spending 1400-1600 on a stock PTR so I got it for 990. Also there were some sweet cobb's out before bushmaster bought them but they are all like a billion dollars and not nearly worth that much. firearms are almost like the freemasons and mystism, oh I found these box of AP rounds some guy is selling for 20K a box what a deal or an MP5 for 30 thousand dollars oh man lets jump on that, I mean an MP5 would be cool to have but you almost have to go mine the steel yourself and stamp out the recievers after you break into the HK plant and steal the tooling specs and tolerances. I think I might just get my consealed carry hand gun and call it a day, get what I need to protect myself from rioters and gangs and if the military wants to send a black hawk to my house and blow it up I guess that will just be it because I dont have a trillion dollars to buy a M82 and I would probably be sleeping anyways lol. I mean really a gun that is half the cost of a new toyota tacoma with a TRD package, I dont think so or a cheap steel 9mm MP5 that is as much as a low end porche I mean where are the economics on that one. Getting on 2 year wait lists for a gas piston AR rolls eyes. Oh and try finding a concealed carry weapon with a thumb safety, S&W finally came out with one thats about the size of the glock and even carrys more rounds but they took there time and I have not actually tried to purchace it yet so im just waiting for the wait list when I walk into the gun store although I might be pleasently surprised

Ok off my soap box.
Old February 26, 2009, 07:46 AM   #23
Dave P

and what is a 30-06 slug anyway? The only slugs I have fit in my 12 ga shotgun. Oh, and every so often we get a few that are about 2 inches long crawling in the driveway.
Old February 26, 2009, 03:13 PM   #24
rppearso

Anyways if anyone knows where to get 30-06 black tips that are not out of your garage I would be interested, like a lagit gun store with factory boxes.