The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 25, 2009, 12:43 AM   #1
jdrush369

handgun transfer?

ok, i have a long story so i will not bore you with the details. i live in texas. i want to transfer a handgun i purchased a little over a year ago to someone else who has a texas drivers license. i also would like to transfer a second gun to a texas resident but i purchased this gun with in the last year. What is the procedure for gun 1 (in which i have owned over a year) and gun 2 (which i have owned less than 1 year)? thanks.
Old February 25, 2009, 12:24 PM   #2
NavyLT

If both they and you are Texas residents (present in Texas with the intent of making a home in Texas - not just a driver's license) and you have no reasonable knowledge that they are felons or ortherwise prohibited:

1. Receive their money.
2. Hand them the gun.
3. Shake hands.

May be done in any order with either gun.
Old February 25, 2009, 02:46 PM   #3
jdrush369

what if with the second gun, the person only had a drivers license and is only here for a year or so?
Old February 25, 2009, 03:11 PM   #4
NavyLT

Doesn't matter. If they are a resident of a same state as you are by being present in that state and making a home in that state, IE they sleep there every night for a reason other than visiting, they don't even have to have a driver's license for you to legally sell/give/transfer the handgun or rifle to them (in Texas). In private sales, there is no proof of ID or proof of residency requirement. Only that you are not knowingly or have reasonable suspicion that you are selling to an out of state resident or prohibited person like a felon or convicted of domestic violence.

If I moved to Texas today with the purpose of living there, I could legally buy a firearm from you, another Texas resident, tonight, even if you bought that firearm this morning - so long as you did not buy that firearm from a dealer with the specific intention of then selling it to me, then that would be a straw purchase.
Old February 25, 2009, 10:15 PM   #5
jdrush369

NavyLT,

Thank you for the info. Very appreciated.

-JR