The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 13, 2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Littlehoov

Interesting Hi-Point jam.

Ive heard the reports of the jamming with either nose-up or nose-down typically caused by the magazines, but I shot my new C9 today and had a handful of jams that looked just like this:

All were cleared with either a tap on the back of the slide, or slightly pulling the slide back and releasing.

Im not reading much into it because the gun is new, so its my understanding that things like this do happen.

Some things I thought might be causing it were:

A: I was gripping pretty high, but its the only way it felt comfortable, but the slide did seem to contact my hands sometimes on its backstroke.

B: During most of the shooting I was wearing leather gloves, because it was cold outside, couple that with A and it makes it worse.

C: Im new to semi-auto pistols, so I might just be doing something wrong.
Old March 13, 2009, 03:33 PM   #2
DBAR

No Offense

No offense, but you bought a High Point.
Old March 13, 2009, 03:41 PM   #3
natjohnb

You're reading too much into the problem...you bought a Hi-point. The problem is easily fixed by selling it and buying something better
Old March 13, 2009, 04:02 PM   #4
Littlehoov

Well, thank you both for your wonderful advice, I really appreciate it.
Old March 13, 2009, 04:19 PM   #5
DBAR

You might search the web, and see if there is a forum dedicated to the "High Point".
Old March 13, 2009, 04:25 PM   #6
troy_mclure

greybeardoutdoors.com has a good highpoint forum.
what brand of ammo were you using?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 13, 2009, 04:36 PM   #7
ElectricHellfire

I'm assuming that's a round going into battery there not an empty coming out right?

If so it could indeed be the magazine, a weak recoil spring or even a dirty chamber. I'm sure someone with more expertise in High Points will be along to advise you.

Good luck. And don't be too put off by the rude responses. There are actually a lot of helpful people here on TFL. I'm sure most of them, as I, are just getting home from work. Stick around.
Old March 13, 2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Littlehoov

Yes, that is a live round with its nose in the chamber, appearing to be straight, but kinda hanging for some reason.

The ammo is Winchester 115 gr. FMJ, aka Walmart White Box.

I did post it on the official Hi-Point forum as well, I figured the more advice the merrier.

Im a patient person, besides, I wont be shooting for a little bit, Im almost out of ammo, I only bought one box, and its almost gone. All I have left are my 147 gr. Golden Sabers, and those are too expensive to shoot into paper.
Old March 13, 2009, 05:06 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'd say the most likely problem is the one you describe, basically that you're interfering with the slide somehow. Barring that, I'd say it's a lube issue. You say that it's a new gun. Did you take it apart and clean it before shooting? The lube that is generally applied at the factories is protective in nature more than a lubricant. It can become gummy with heat from firing and can also get itself into places that it shouldn't be. Strip the gun down, clean it thoroughly and re-oil the appropriate places.

My guess is that friction is taking up too much of the force that would normally be cycling the slide. That friction is either from your hand or from less than adequate lubrication.
Old March 13, 2009, 05:36 PM   #10
EastSideRich

Could the jam be caused by the edge of the brass where the bullet is seated getting hung up on the edge of the chamber?
I had a problem like this with a S&W 9mm. One time it actually peeled the brass back like a banana almost down to the bottom of the bullet.
To remedy the problem I just put a slight chamfer on the end of the chamber (where the arrows are pointing). Haven't had the problem since:
Old March 13, 2009, 05:36 PM   #11
kirkcdl

Did you clean and lube before you shot it?
Old March 13, 2009, 06:06 PM   #12
jpoolsmyd2

could be the gloves were getting in the way of the slide. Also, if gloves were too padded, could have been limp wristing it causing stovepiping. Maybe.

Two questions: have you shot it without the gloves? and definatly clean it and lube it before shooting. The only guns I would shoot straight out of the case are SIG and H&K. No offense, but the High Point is a lower end pistol and you are going to have reliability problems with it. This is probably only the beginning.
Old March 13, 2009, 06:53 PM   #13
troy_mclure

Quote:
No offense, but the High Point is a lower end pistol and you are going to have reliability problems with it. This is probably only the beginning
lol
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 13, 2009, 08:34 PM   #14
bigghoss

it funny how much bashing is going on since this is the first time I've met anyone with first hand experience of a malfunctioning hi-point.
Old March 13, 2009, 09:00 PM   #15
GuyMontag

Then I'll add my thoughts...

I went to a local range where a guy a bit to my left had his two friends with a High Point. I think it went bang bang misfeed... bang misfeed... bang misfeed.... bang bang misfeed

I could see the same exact issue that was shown in the original picture.
Old March 13, 2009, 09:09 PM   #16
jpoolsmyd2

Again, not trying to offend, but it IS a lower end semi-auto. Sorry, it just is. If you want a reliable, bang every time no matter what pistol, shell out the cash and get a SIG or an H&K.

I have nothing against hi-point. Just from what I have seen (yes, firsthand from friends who own them) and heard (on this board and others), it is just not going to be a reliable weapon.

If you are just using it at the range, then fine. I'm sure you can deal with some FTF and FTEs. But if you want a reliable combat pistol for HD or personal protection, I would look elsewhere and spend the $$$.
Old March 13, 2009, 09:16 PM   #17
Littlehoov

I have not taken it apart and cleaned it yet, if I can find some decent instructions I might give it a shot.

Theres no special kind of oil or anything is there? I know my dad has some gun oil, but its nothing special that I know of.

Also, I have shot it barehanded, also 2 other shooters shot it as well with the same problem.

Some users over at the Hi-Point forum recommended checking the feed ramp for any friction, and possibly polishing it.

Any other tips or hints would be helpful.
Old March 13, 2009, 09:19 PM   #18
GuyMontag

Yeah, I know everybody has a preface of "...not trying to offend..." and nobody is. I think in this kind of forum, we're more inclined avoid offending, and instad watch out for each other.

A defense gun should go bang every single time. Every time.
Old March 13, 2009, 09:20 PM   #19
Crosshair

If you want a reliable, bang every time no matter what pistol.....

You just described all my Hi-points. My 4095 will feed a wider range of ammo than my Ruger PC-40 that cost twice as much.

Besides, not everyone has gotten their Obama Unicorn yet to use to buy those guns.

Littlehoov

It sounds like the round is hanging up on the edge of the chamber as others have mentioned. Did this happen with one magazine or did it happen with several magazines? Are the mags factory or Pro-Mag? The Pro-Mag mags are the #1 problem I come across with fellow Hi-point owners.

How tight is the slide? Applying a little lube helps greatly if the issue is dimply not enough slide energy to return to battery. you don't have to take the gun apart to lube, just lock the slide back and apply to the rear rails on the slide and then work it in by cycling the gun.
Old March 13, 2009, 10:45 PM   #20
chris in va

WWB isn't the best stuff in the world. Try some different ammo if you can, and clean out that chamber. It's a blowback design and gets quite dirty, just look at the fired casings for proof of that.
Old March 13, 2009, 10:55 PM   #21
rench1

I Also Have A High Point In 45 Cal. If It Jams In A Bad Situation You Can Always Throw It At Them If It Hits Them They Are Sure To Be Knocked Out It Ways Same As A Concrete Block, I Have Had No Problems With Mine.
Old March 13, 2009, 10:58 PM   #22
sltintexas

I didn't read through all the post but try leaving one round out for a few range sessions..so if it is an 8 round mag, just put 7 in it.

Hi Points have issues in the bigging because of the mag springs being so tight.

check out hipointfirearmforums.com . You can get some good advice there.

I have a HP 380 and 9mm carbine and they are flawless.

I agree with crosshairs on the tightness of the slide. At first the c9's are crazy tight. It should loosen up.
Old March 13, 2009, 11:13 PM   #23
cracked91

My hi point did that new too. Just needs to be broken in, 400+ rounds. only load it up to 6 and when you are storing leave the mag loaded, helps break it in
Old March 13, 2009, 11:56 PM   #24
Littlehoov

Quote:
It sounds like the round is hanging up on the edge of the chamber as others have mentioned. Did this happen with one magazine or did it happen with several magazines? Are the mags factory or Pro-Mag? The Pro-Mag mags are the #1 problem I come across with fellow Hi-point owners.
It is the factory magazine. It was extremely tight at first, but is starting to loosen up. I can actually fully load it relatively easy now, I literally couldnt get the last round in before.

Quote:
How tight is the slide? Applying a little lube helps greatly if the issue is dimply not enough slide energy to return to battery. you don't have to take the gun apart to lube, just lock the slide back and apply to the rear rails on the slide and then work it in by cycling the gun.
There are also rails on the front arent there? I believe I see what you are talking about on the rear, but theres a similar set on the front.

As for cleaning it, I bought it brand new, and the first time it jammed it probably had less the 20 rounds through it, I have a hard time believing it was dirt related.

Im out of ammo for the moment, currently its sitting loaded 8+1 on the nightstand. I guess if someone breaks in Ill get at least 1 Saber in their direction. From there it gets sketchy, but I could always beat them to death with it....
Old March 14, 2009, 12:09 AM   #25
Croz

I can see two problems. 1, make sure you only load it to 7 rounds for a while, and keep the magazine loaded with the full 8 while you're not shooting it. That way, you can help loosen the spring.

Second, try some blazer brass. One user measured each shell in a box, and found a wide variety in length of round. He tried it out, and found the longer rounds hung up in the chamber.

And check out www.hipointtalk.com. Very helpful group over there.
Closed Thread