The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 28, 2009, 09:05 PM   #1
Gunny

Steel Frame or Polymer Frame???

I'm looking at getting a Baby Eagle 40 and was preferring the steel frame but I have never handled one in a polymer frame so I thought I would refer to you guys... my database of gun knowledge!

What all do you guys know of the steel frame versus the polymer frame in the baby eagle and why do you prefer that one?
Old March 28, 2009, 09:17 PM   #2
jgcoastie

I don't know much about MR Inc. products, but as a general rule for semi-autos, I prefer polymer to steel. It's lighter and just as durable through the useful life of the gun. Yeah, some steel frame guns have been in people's family for almost a century, but I don't foresee the frame on my Glocks wearing out any time soon either...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old March 28, 2009, 09:24 PM   #3
cguedr

I've read a bunch of post from guys who love the steel frame. However, I have one in 9mm with a polymer frame and I can tell you that even with that, it's not a light pistol, not overly heavy, just not light. I will say this, I believe the steel frame pistols are a little thinner. Saw one at a gun show and noticed that the frame was flush with the slide, while the frame on mine (polymer) was just a tad wider, for what it's worth.
Old March 28, 2009, 09:28 PM   #4
Gunny

Interesting. Yeah I own a Kimber with a stainless steel frame and a berreta with an aluminum frame and a few glocks and other guns with polymer frames. I just wasn't sure what people thought of them on the baby eagles. I kind of like the look of the Steel Frame ones but if there are some advantages or disadvantages of two I would like to hear them!
Old April 7, 2009, 10:44 PM   #5
craneop35

I have the Baby Eagle .40 polymer and after 200 rounds the clips have gottin a little slop in them and if i dont hold them up tight it jams every other round and I am trying to get ahold of MS but they are not responding.
Old April 8, 2009, 12:07 AM   #6
Ben

Lately, I've been having a hard time forming any real attachment to polymer-framed guns. All the guns I seem to want are metal.

There's no explaining it. Companies make a polymer-framed gun but still expect us to pay the same amount (or more) for it under the guise that since it's lighter and more trendy that we should pay for that perk. I'm just not feeling it. I think I've bought my last polymer.

Ben
Old April 8, 2009, 12:13 AM   #7
chris in va

I don't care for polymer either, just too top heavy. The only one I have left is my P11. CZ, Sig, S&W, Kahr...all metal.
Old April 8, 2009, 02:57 AM   #8
_W_

I have no problems with polymer framed pistols, but I hear that there is a noticeable difference in performance/reliability between the steel and polymer Baby Eagles (the steel BE's are better than the polymer ones).

I have a all steel Compact Baby Eagle. Its heavy but I'd say its probably the best feeling gun I've ever held.
Old April 8, 2009, 03:12 AM   #9
BanditSRT8

I never got into the whole Baby Eagle thing. I figured if I wanted a CZ, I'd buy a CZ. If I wanted a higher grade clone, I'd buy an EAA Witness Match, or Sphinx (which I have), but never was interested in the Baby.

UNTIL I saw the brand new polymer Baby Eagle 2's.

WOW. I put one in my hand, and that contoured grip really won me over. I don't know how anyone would even consider the steel frame after fondling one of these new pups... it's like night and day.

XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old April 8, 2009, 03:59 AM   #10
imthegrumpyone

MR is a fine gun maker you wont be disappointed, the only one of Baby Eagles I have is steel, but I have two I carry that are poly's and are great. You should have no trouble one.
Old April 8, 2009, 05:23 AM   #11
Homerboy

I hate polymer guns. I've owned a few Glocks, a taurus, and a Beretta PX4. They just don't have the same feel of quality to me and I am now only a metal gun guy. I also prefer TDA, hammer fired guns, so most polymers are out for me anyway. They feel too top heavy to me, as well
Old April 8, 2009, 10:13 AM   #12
SVRider

I'm a big fan of plastic frames. Yeah, I said it.. plastic.

In my collection, 5 out of 7 handguns have plastic frames. All 4 of my long guns have plastic stocks. Ergonomically, I think the manufacturers are able to mold shapes with plastic that aren't cost effective to try and do with metal or wood. Plus, whenever I hold a steel framed gun, I find the transition from metal to the wood/plastic/rubber grip panels to be uncomfortable. That should be your ultimate decision maker though, how comfortable it is to hold onto the gun.
Old April 8, 2009, 10:21 AM   #13
That'll Do

I'm torn between steel and polymer.

I own a CZ 75BD and a S&W M&P40–I shoot equally well with both guns, but there's just something satisfying about the feel of a metal gun.

I rented a SA 1911 and a Glock 23 at the range yesterday, and again, I shot well with both, but I was drawn towards the metal gun...so who knows. It's personal preference, I guess.
Old April 11, 2009, 09:49 AM   #14
craneop35

Baby Eagle 2

Have you had any problems with the Baby Eagle 2. I just sent mine back to MR yesterday. After 200 rounds me clips got just a little slack in them to where if I dident hold them up in the gun it jamed every other round and the guy at MR said it sounds like the clip release is worn.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:01 AM   #15
JohnPaul

daily carry, I have plastic

but for target shooting... I much prefer metal. BTW I really love my MR baby eagle. It is fast becoming our fav. gun at the range.

Old August 27, 2011, 09:48 PM   #16
arcus98dac

go with steel!!!!

I use to have a polymer framed 9mm. Sure it was fine besides the trigger pull, but i did feel it would break if it got ran over by a truck, or even smack someone in the head. Lets face it, all it is is a hard plastic. People say it helps recoil and it does, but so does the heaviness of steel. The advantage is light weight, the disadvantage is durability. I love my arcus 98 dac and will prob. never get a polymer pistol again.
Old August 27, 2011, 10:21 PM   #17
Will Beararms

Polymer all the way. Light, recoil absorbing and maintenance free essentially.
Old August 27, 2011, 10:22 PM   #18
NJgunowner

I had a poly one, it was my first pistol. I had the same problem in that the mag release wore quickly and I had to hold the magazine so it wouldn't jam.
Old August 28, 2011, 05:58 AM   #19
BlueTrain

The pistol I have with me right now has a plastic frame and it isn't the first one I've owned, either. The one I traded in on it had an aluminum frame. My only other automatic (at the moment) also has an aluminum frame. However, I am beyond shooting as an activity and anyway, it wasn't the material of the frame that was the deciding factor but other things instead.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 28, 2011, 07:32 AM   #20
sailskidrive

Baby Eagle

I have an older Baby Eagle in .40. Since there is a lot of chatter on here I assume that Magnum Research is importing them again? I know they lost the import contract a few years ago and Charles Daly picked it up, but CD went out of business last year.

It is a very heavy handgun in steel, a while ago I read some where that the IDF adopted the Jericho in steel so that it could be used as a non lethal melee weapon. Although I'm not sure getting hit over the head with over two pounds of steel would tickle. Any way based on MRs website it looks like polygonal rifling is now an option, you may want to make sure the pistol your buying has it.

One word of advice, BUY THE FACTORY MAGAZINES. I have four ProMag mags that wont feed past round four with out hanging up. You also need to keep the gun pretty clean or the insidenofnthe magwell rusts fairly easily.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old August 28, 2011, 07:45 AM   #21
Shane Tuttle
Staff

As this thread is over two years old, dug up by yet another new member, and the OP hasn't even visited here in God knows when, this one's closed.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Closed Thread