The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 30, 2009, 09:22 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Pig Bomb True info...

I seen it on discovery and felt the info is pretty close to accurate IMHO...
Most of the show is on you tube in short segments. It includes a little hog doggin as well as info on attacks etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlMR8...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWWD4...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZB5b...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzMGX...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oF70...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrSu...eature=channel
I am sure I missed some segments but here is enuff to get ya'll started.
Hope ya'll enjoy as well as realize that when folks get to go on a "shooting spree" or hog doggin' it is a needed "service" and not cruelty...
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; March 30, 2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old March 30, 2009, 09:42 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

One more...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFFEj...eature=channel
Brent
Old March 30, 2009, 11:54 PM   #3
mtnm

Thanks Brent.

I'll watch those tomorrow. My ole slow computer takes 30- 45 mins to download one U Tube 3 min video.
Old March 31, 2009, 12:10 AM   #4
Hirlau

Thanks, interesting info.
Old March 31, 2009, 12:15 AM   #5
onthejon55

so how long till they make it to Indiana? i cnt wait to be able to mow down a few of these beast
Old March 31, 2009, 07:08 AM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Pig bomb true info? Yeah, like the part of the show that said the pigs have the potential to grow to be 1500 lbs and run 70 mph. Sure there were some parts that were true, but some were awfully sensationalized.

They kept showing brief images of hogzilla to support the notion that these animals can get huge. The only problem there is that hogzilla wasn't a feral hog and didn't actually run very quickly.

It might have been on the Discover channel but is wasn't very scientific. It was more like a little bit of science and a whole lot of National Enquirer.
Old March 31, 2009, 07:43 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

On the jon, They are getting a foot hold in Ohio and Misery, so it won't be much longer and you may get your wish!

The hogzilla shot by the man (not the kid with wheel gun in .500) was indeed a feral hog. Complete with the tusks that a farm pig doesn't have as the farmer keeps them cut back for safety. A hog that large does need a bunch of food and a hunting lease with year around corn and surrounded by crop lands is ideal for this...
And a feral hog no matter their size is ever a lumbering sloth... If they are able to survive they are healthy enuff to run and fight.

I will re-watch the clips to find the citing of 70 mph as I heard 35 quoted. I don't know their actual speed capability but it is faster than most any dog around. The dogs must stay quiet to surprise the hogs or they will never bay one up.
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 09:17 AM   #8
SilentSoul

We had bay dogs that kept up with a truck doing about 40mph down a dirt road, don't know if that was all they had or not, and i saw some of those same dogs outrun by a hog easily, in a relatively short sprint anyway

That info is odd, i had no idea the numbers were increasing like that, things havent seemed to of changed around here, always been a lot of hogs in places, but no bombs have went off thus far

"If you want to save your eyes close them. If you want to save your life keep them open."-Unknown?
Old March 31, 2009, 01:20 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The hogzilla shot by the man (not the kid with wheel gun in .500) was indeed a feral hog. Complete with the tusks that a farm pig doesn't have as the farmer keeps them cut back for safety. A hog that large does need a bunch of food and a hunting lease with year around corn and surrounded by crop lands is ideal for this...
And a feral hog no matter their size is ever a lumbering sloth... If they are able to survive they are healthy enuff to run and fight.
A domestic hog that escapes will grow big tusks. Big deal. Even so, was hogzilla clocked? I don't think so.
Old March 31, 2009, 01:29 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

DNS, I watched all the snippets I posted and found only 30mph mentioned. Hogzilla size hogs are either released recently barnyard swine or a feral hog with plenty of feed. I have seen very feral 350+ pounders hanging on bottomed out 350 pound scales so a 500 as mentioned in the episode is plausible.
I also found nothing in the episode that is far from accurate. If you have some info to share that dismisses the show as National Enquirer fallacy, please do post links. I have only been regularly chasing hogs for 5 1/2 years so I have a lot to learn...
As for the aggression it is also true that the feral hogs are getting tuffer. They were rarely mixed with russian blood 30-40 years ago and that was in very small areas surrounding "game preserves". Many "sport" hog doggers have released many hogs after capture and they frown on being caught again by dogs.
A bay dog we recently traded off to a fella "got the horn" with a 200+ boar hog. She went in to assist the bulldog, as they normally do, and as soon as she had an ear the hog tossed her up and off and bounced her 3 times in the front of the chest with a tusk and she expired in less than 40 seconds. My father used to help hog doggers in the 60's as they protected the west central florida orange, tomato and strawberry farms. He said "We never needed none of that "cut gear" (cut collars and cut vests) or first aid back then... He seen a few cuts on dogs but not the routine dog wrecking slobs we see today.
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 01:33 PM   #11
publius

you don't want hogs in your area. Hope that they won't come soon. They will come, it's just a matter of time. They rapidly reproduce and are destructive in most every imaginable way. they tear up crop fields, (I mean it looks like someone pulled a disc through the area. something many people don't know is they are also predatory, they will eat a newborn fawn, turkey eggs.. etc. I'm covered with the damn things here in Texas and they are almost to my place in Mississippi. I hope they don't get there soon but they're within 1 mile so I expect them this year. there's nothing you can do about it, you can shoot them, trap them whatever, but they reproduce so fast that you can't get rid of them.
Old March 31, 2009, 01:35 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
A domestic hog that escapes will grow big tusks.
And that is a "feral hog"... It doesn't matter one day first generation or 50 generations deep... feral is feral... No one said that the hogzilla size hog could run super fast. A hog that large has no natural predators and can easily kill a man with a head butt... no tusks needed. It takes a year or more for the tusks to regrow to the point where the wetters and tuskers will meet to sharpen them so feral for better than a year is what he was... To survive wild like that he was athletic enuff to travel... I got a nice shiny 1977 Marlin .30-30 I will give you if you can outrun a mad, scared 200 pound boar hog! No tree climbing allowed!
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 01:37 PM   #13
Double Naught Spy

Okay, so you watched the snippets. Great. I watched the show. I wasn't the only one who noticed the 70 mph statement either.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...21#post2631821

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=438839

As far as outrunning a 200 lb boar and the offer of the new rifle, thanks. I take it that you meant that I had to outrun it on foot, right? Given that humans are slower than so many animals due to bipedalism, it really is a fool's offer. Hell, I watched a 3 legged German shepherd run down a kid on a 10 speed bike back in junior high. Even non-feral adult pigs can run down humans.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; March 31, 2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old March 31, 2009, 01:54 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

DNS, you are cordially invited to join us on a hunt and even if we don't get a hog I will get you to a pen to see one with your own eyes and we can rope one out for you to handle just to see what these buggers are made of. I am not trying to argue just enlighten... And trust me when I promise that you will leave knowing these ain't grampa's farm pig even if they are genetically similar.
I noticed on the michigan link a referral to a Monster Quest episode... Different show. I seen both. I also noted one guy pointed out possibly 70Kph and that is likely what was said but someone thought they heard MPH is likely what occurred... I doubt even the dumbest of person would suggest on world wide TV that the cheetah had swine for challenger as worlds fastest land animal.
I also noticed someone from Michigan (not the feral hog capital of the USA) say maybe for 100 yards...
Sorry but when my dogs end up tracked 5-7 miles down track and whooped tired and no hog.... These hogs can run at speed for a long ways and rest for 30 or so seconds and repeat. They also get through the thick cover far better than any dog... Body design is superior to dogs for this. remember these hogs have very little fat on them.
These are the most densely muscled animals I have ever handled and this includes cougars and tigers in captivity that play with a bowling ball daily.
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 01:56 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have a buddy who has a bay dog that lost a front leg/shoulder to a hog and he still gets after it... The guy said when the dog decides he is handicapped he will retire him from the rotation but until then the dog can go as long as he wants to get in the dog box...
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 02:34 PM   #16
kwells6

this is true stuff... here in arkansas, we've been having issues with these for years. Even Fort Chaffee has invited hunters to kill as many as they can find.
Old March 31, 2009, 02:35 PM   #17
madmo44mag

Been a long time since I hunted hog.
Lots of fun with plenty of excitement once the hunt begins.
Never hunted one with a rifle always large bore magnum pistols.
Old March 31, 2009, 06:32 PM   #18
Double Naught Spy

hogdogs, while we may disagree, I do wholly appreciate the invitation. The problem is I have my own hog problem to deal with and I can't quite justify helping you with your hog problem when I haven't handled my own.
Old March 31, 2009, 06:48 PM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My offer to you and the open invitation I have had for years is not for need of "help" as I do not even expect the visitor to assist us. It really is an offer of a different experience. You have a hog problem yet you disagree with the facts of their biology and ability? Are you trapping, shooting or having hog dogs doing this? What state is this problem in? I am willing to share any and all I have learned about trapping and doggin' them. I only trapped them for a year or so for a total of 150-200 trapped...
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 07:02 PM   #20
freakintoguns

that show made getting a .50 Beowulf AR more inticing. its only a matter of time before we're doing some serious hog huntin here in NM.

hogs, if i ever get a chance to go to FL for a car show i might just have to look ya up man id love to go ona hog hunt with ya!
Old March 31, 2009, 07:07 PM   #21
sniperinky

That makes me sick! Youtube should yank those, and I complained to their management. If you are in those videos Hotdogs, you should really think about you're legacy.
Old March 31, 2009, 07:20 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Nope those are discovery Channel submissions! And the show managed to be considered documentary... Did you notice the state biologist that spoke several times? By the way I am a state fish and game listed nuisance wildlife removal service as are many MANY MANY other southern hog doggers and trappers. Have a great day!

Junior and I are also solely responsible for saving farmers and landowners many hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages and have never charged a penny... It is called "providing a service"....
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 09:47 PM   #23
Shorthair

There is an open shoot to kill option for anyone encountering a wild hog here in Michigan, at any time of the year. I would gladly provide such a service to my state.
Old March 31, 2009, 10:00 PM   #24
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Shorthair, what regions of the big mitten are getting populations? I involved in a small feeder pig operation in the late 70's early 80's in the thumb. Pig prices were hurting and in the mid to late 80's I remember $.08 per pound. A farmer cannot keep feed or fences up at that price so alot of hogs were released to starve in the wild or survive and others just escaped as the farmers did their best to keep them contained. This was also the same time the pork/hog industry in the south east went to crap as developers offered more for land than farmers could earn working the farms...
This is my theory to why the "Pig Bomb" exploded in the late 90's... 3 litters every 14 months equates to 8-10 LARGE generational expansions ...
But what do I know I am but a dumb redneck...
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 10:50 PM   #25
Shorthair

They are finding them all over the state, there is a map that shows just about all counties have had sightings. Here: http://www.michigan.gov/images/emerg...p_207952_7.jpg
Open hunting in these counties:
http://www.michigan.gov/images/emerg...7_205747_7.jpg
More info:
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...5439--,00.html
We have a huge sugar beet industry here, as well as a lot of corn, and they will tear up a field...
No doubt a lot of pigs escaped that were going to be eaten, but there are a lot of them that got out from game preserves, Russian boars. I really detest canned big game "hunting", this is only one of the crappy side effects.