The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 22, 2009, 10:25 AM   #1
katana8869

Taurus.... It happened again! M850 SS range report

I bought my first Taurus a few years ago. It was a PT145 that I put over 1500 rounds through with no trouble before I traded it off on something else that caught my eye. The second was a 627 Tracker in .357 which currently has about 2000 rounds of .38 and .357 through it. I was very pleased with it which led me to a hammerless 85UL. This gun has been a great little shooter as well and it has had about 700 rounds through it, again with no trouble.

My 85UL is currently on loan to a friend who is saving up to buy his first CCW gun. Although I usually carry a S&W 642, I started missing the little Taurus and so, with that in mind I bought my 4th one, a stainless steel model 850 CIA, this weekend and I decided to post my first impressions of the new gun here.

At about 23oz. this little gun has a very solid heft to it, however it carries very well. In an IWB holster it is very comfortable and carried in a pocket it sits down solidly and is just heavy enough to let you know it is there.

Over the last few days, I have spent alot of time with it and I have fired 300 rounds of my 158gr reloads and 20 135gr Speer Gold Dot +P's through it. Long story short this little gun shoots excellent for a J-frame sized revolver. 7 yard accuracy is very good and the 5-5-5 drill (5 shot's, 5 yards, into a 5" circle in 5 seconds) was easy for me to do. I am used to doing the drill with an S&W Airweight, so again the extra weight of the SS 850 came into play and it noticably helped to dampen the recoil and decrease the recovery time between shots.

The guns brushed stainless finish is very nice. I doesn't have any noticable tool marks and it locks up like a bank vault door. In my area, all guns are jumping up in price, but the 850 was priced at $381 which really isn't too bad IMO. I will say though that the gun was filthy. Taurus guns are known for shipping dirty and this one was full of grease and crap. Even the front and the back of the cylinders were coated with the stuff.

I didn't say anything about it as I am familiar with this routine, but the shop keeper saw it and appologized, saying that they try to do a better job of cleaning their guns up before putting them on the shelf. Even with me telling her that it was not neccesary and that I always clean new guns before taking them to the range anyway, she knocked $17.00 from the price so I ended up paying $364 for the gun.

So am I happy with the 850? Very. Was it a good deal? I think so. Would I use it as a CCW gun? You bet. Would I recommend it? Absolutely.

Old April 22, 2009, 11:10 AM   #2
whippoorwill

Nice report. Thanks!
Old April 22, 2009, 11:16 AM   #3
rauke

I'm glad you're happy with your Taurus!

Considering the amount of controversy that Taurus guns seem to be generating right now in this very forum, I am relieved to read that some one is happy with his Taurus purchase.

Good reporting! And may the gun gods continue to smile upon you!

Cheers!
Old April 22, 2009, 12:19 PM   #4
erikrichard

I didn't think much of Taurus until I actually bought one, a Pt99 with a Ciener .22 conversion kit. Just goes to show you shouldn't take others' opinions too seriously, this gun is outstanding in every way. I'd buy another Taurus in a second.
Old April 22, 2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Russ5924

I have two the 905 9MM I like and sometimes carry. But then I have a 941 .22 mag that I just don't care for at all. It's not buying the Taurus that bothers me it's there Customer Sevice that scares me
Old April 22, 2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Laker

Nice report, I have a Taurus 605 that I carry every day. I have a lot of rounds through it with no problems.
Old April 22, 2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Shadi Khalil

The CIA was the only Taurus revolver I've owned that didn't give me any real problems. It was one of my favorites. Oh and the grips were just great.