The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 26, 2009, 11:41 PM   #1
ramp_tech

Gun safe in the bed room

Well, like the topic said, I am looking for a "compact" safe with enough space for at least one full size and one compact handguns. The safe is going to my bed room which I will use it for HD handguns, leaving the gun unsecured on my wife's dresser just ain't an ideal option. And the gun cabinet I have is too far away from the bed room.

So the safe has to be small but has enough spaces for two guns plus some ammo, and it should provide quick access for me or the wife.

I am open for suggestions.

(I can't build one into the wall right now, I don't own the house.)
Old April 27, 2009, 12:04 AM   #2
EricReynolds

I had this exact need a short time ago. I was using my sock drawer, but my kids are getting big enough that a safe was a neccesity. I was thinking of a biometric safe, but I saw a simple pistol lock box on sale at Gander Mountain for $20. It was just the right size for a full size .40 and a .380 subcompact with a little spare room for ammo. It has a floor and shelf. The safe is approximately 8" by 12" and 6" tall. It fits nicely on my entertainment center. It's not the best safe in the world, but it's the best for the money. I don't recall the brand name, but if you are near a Gander Mountain, they'll know what you're talking about.
Old April 27, 2009, 07:01 AM   #3
vito

Just google GunVault. The one I have is for a single handgun, but a larger version could easily hold two guns. It has a easy to use keypad that you can enter your self-selected combination even in the dark, and when entered the front of the safe springs open. I have one bolted (there are pre-drilled holes in several areas so that you can secure it easily in almost any position) inside my armoire so that the safe is relatively unmovable. I have young grandchildren often visiting my home, as well as a 15 year old at home, so having a secure gun that is reasonably accessible was crucial for me. I believe I paid about $100 for this item on the internet a few years ago. It is very well built and while not a true "safe" it does what I need it to do.
Old April 27, 2009, 07:24 AM   #4
kayakersteve

Here's what I use:

Will only fit one gun, but maybe you could have one on your side and your wife could have one on her side??

Old April 27, 2009, 07:35 AM   #5
Doyle

I use a StackOn drawer box. It has a pushbutton lock that you can open in the dark (with key override). It opens vertically so that you can use it in a drawer.
Old April 27, 2009, 08:32 AM   #6
bababooey32

We have a 3 year old and a 5 year old running around, and I keep a loaded XDm 9mm in a Winchester EV600 Personal Electronic Safe (http://www.gunsafes.com/EV600-Person...stol-Safe.html). The safe is mounted vertically to the back of my nightstand. This way the safe is out of plain view (from kids, or anyone else), but is easily accessible to me without having to look at the keypad, and with the firearm presented vertically (as if from a holster) for rapid deployment.

The safe is easy enough to manipulate for me while nearly impossible for a child to successfully open. The safe automatically locks down after three unsuccesful attempts to open, and sounds an audible alarm. The location (kids cannot see the keypad) combined with the safety features makes us comfortable with the gun being stored there.
Old April 27, 2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Flumph

Seems like a document safe with an internal rack of some sort would work fine.

Then again i'm no expert on the subject.
Old April 27, 2009, 09:48 PM   #8
CortJestir

I like the GunVault, too. If you do careful research on it though, you'll likely find complaints of the backup cylinder lock it uses to be relatively easy to pick. I don't mind it as it's fine for my purposes, which is to keep curious guests/kids away from the gun. Other than that, the Deluxe model offers all the features you are looking for: quick access with enough storage for two guns and a little ammo.
Old April 27, 2009, 10:22 PM   #9
Kyo

I have a gun vault mini. Holds my full size 45, 2 boxes of 50 round ammo, and miscellaneous stuff as well. Yes, it all fits =)
I just keep mine hidden. Can't pick what you don't know is there.
Old April 28, 2009, 10:45 PM   #10
Capt_Vin

We have an 8 gun storage safe in our bedroom. In it, we keep our home defense weapons and because it is fire-rated not to mention, a safe, our valuable papers and such. It fits quite nicely in a corner and hell, the top makes a great place to keep the TV.
Old April 29, 2009, 07:20 AM   #11
dcobler

I use this one that I bought at Wal-mart. Mine does not have the cable and cost about $30. Easy to use, and quick to access. I have mine under my bed. I have put my G21 and my Tanfoglio 380 both in there with a flashlight and spare room. With something like this, there are multiple mounting options. You could buy the version with the cable, or simply mount it to your bed frame. As mine is soley used to keep youthful hands off, and not as a theft deterent, it is not currently mounted. Later, when I have my own house, or possibly if we rearange where mounting to the frame would be practicle, maybe. Just a thought.
Old April 29, 2009, 07:53 AM   #12
Enoy21

I would like to get this :

ADG Sports Secure Vault To put into my Nightstand drawer...

I too like you need to keep them out of the reach of little fingers , and currently top of the Closet , with a lock on the case is not very convenient for HD.

SCRATCH that , just saw some poor reviews on this safe that I did not see a year ago when looking at them.
Old May 17, 2009, 01:01 PM   #13
zonamo

Don't waste your time

I thought Gun Vault and V-Line security boxes would at least slow down a smash and grab.

Found out Thursday that the only thing they are good for is keeping kids away from your guns.

They pried open the Gun Vault in 30 seconds. They couldn't get the V-Line open so they just ripped it off the bolts and took it with them.

Don't expect guns in these things to be any safer than if they were just left in the open.
Old May 17, 2009, 01:25 PM   #14
IZZY

this is a difficult one.

literally "out of reach" = high up , yet accesable to an adult.

somewhat hidden from thieves is best. ( see Zonamo's post)

Never leave the kids unsupervised in any event. A gun with a heavy DA trigger pull is a plus here.
Old May 17, 2009, 01:25 PM   #15
Enoy21

Wow , I'm glad they are good for what I am hoping for , yet..... I'm concerned that you have the personal experience of their extent.

Mind sharing your story here ?
Old May 17, 2009, 01:27 PM   #16
isanchez2008

We have a GunVault Biometric. These safes are just meant to keep curious kids out. If I were worried about loosing a pistol to theft then I would put it in my 1200lb safe. Works well. The biometrics are great since there is no combination to hope to remember at what would probably be the most stressfull andrenaline pumped situation. You can store multiple finger scans so the wife can use it as well.