The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 4, 2009, 01:19 PM   #1
ramp_tech

States with restriction on JHP ammo?

Looking for info regarding states with restriction on carrying JHP (HP) Ammo?

What are those states? Do post a web link if you found the regulation on the state's website!
Old May 4, 2009, 01:25 PM   #2
ar15chase

http://volokh.com/posts/1177026951.shtml

I read a little of this, looks like NJ doesnt allow people to carry it for protection.
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Old May 4, 2009, 01:55 PM   #3
kyle1974

Personally, I'm glad there are regulations that don't allow hollowpoints. I think people should only be killed with FMJ... killing them with hollowpoints is just rude
Old May 4, 2009, 03:00 PM   #4
#18indycolts

Quote:
I think people should only be killed with FMJ... killing them with hollowpoints is just rude
ok.
Old May 4, 2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Suicide*Ride

Yeah... , that's why I have 2 clips for my gun. 1 has hollow points & the other has full metal jackets. If I shoot someone, I just switch the clips after the shooting so when the cops show up I won't get busted for using hollow points for self defense.

signed: gecko45
Old May 4, 2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Doodlebugger45

Do they have laws against carving the little X on the tip of a FMJ bullet the way the badass dudes on TV do?
Old May 4, 2009, 06:43 PM   #7
Hellbilly5000

does that actually do anything (the carving an x on a fmj?)
Old May 4, 2009, 07:36 PM   #8
cornbush

Ya, it turns them into explosive bullets, you know the ones the that will take your head off with one shot
Old May 4, 2009, 08:05 PM   #9
czfonz

Quote:
Ya, it turns them into explosive bullets, you know the ones the that will take your head off with one shot
Yea I've seen it happen...its amazing what a carved X will do on a fmj
Old May 4, 2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Bigjim3

Im going to carry the best I can put my hands on. We will figure out the rest in court...
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old May 4, 2009, 08:22 PM   #11
bbqbob51

FMJ are cool because they pass right through the bad guy and hurt and kill innocent bystanders. The real fun comes when you get to shoot him again when he charges you because you missed a vital organ.
Old May 7, 2009, 11:23 PM   #12
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. If you mark an 'x' On the tip of a FMJ using a Xylene free felt tip permanent marker, it will fragment better then one that has been cut. It has something to do with a chemical reaction on the gilding metal used for jacketed projectiles. The good thing about this method is that the forensic lab cannot detect the customised modification. You just tell them the 'x' is so you can identify your bullets from other peoples.
Old May 8, 2009, 08:31 AM   #13
johnwilliamson062

I can't even tell if SkullXbones is serious or not.
Old May 8, 2009, 09:02 AM   #14
grymster2007

Does it have to be an "X" Skulls? I was hoping to use a "G".
Old May 8, 2009, 09:13 AM   #15
M1911

Quote:
Looking for info regarding states with restriction on carrying JHP (HP) Ammo?
NJ is the only one that I'm aware of.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:24 AM   #16
hardluk1

NJ law will help sell that newer hornady personal defence ammo, the one with the rubber plug that makes it think its a fmj in a semi-auto and the powerball from cor-bon.
Old May 8, 2009, 07:59 PM   #17
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grymster2007
Does it have to be an "X" Skulls? I was hoping to use a "G".

You need to use a fine tip, as to much of the marking media will cause the projectile to fly apart in flight.
If you put a ring around the projectile just above the brass, the projectile will separate at that point as it tumbles through the body. The 2 pieces then cause a wider wound cavity then a conventional FMJ with the advantage of deeper penetration then a fragmenting projectile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062
I can't even tell if SkullXbones is serious or not.

You could always try it out for yourself. After all, what do you have to loose? It will give you another reason to go shooting. You must remember to study the affects of each type of projectile. You probably need to fire at least a dozen shots of each type of bullet into a couple of different types of target compounds.

Let us know what your results are so that it is not just my word on the subject.
Old May 8, 2009, 08:32 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While I haven't gotten to try this, I have heard of this. Heard of it back in the 90's and thought everyone had heard of it.... I never tried it cuz I didn't know what marker to buy.
Brent
Old May 8, 2009, 09:53 PM   #19
Jim March

OK, here's how you make your own hyper-deadly ammo.

First thing is, get set up handloading.

Second: take a 32acp case. Put a piece of masking tape across the bottom, with no primer, put a few drabs of fast-burning powder in the primer pocket under the masking tape - the PAPER kind (it's important).

Fill the 32acp case to the brim with a slow-burn powder like H110.

Stuff an 85gr Hornady XTP hollowpoint into it, putting a bit of crazy glue onto the rim of the case first. Give it a good crimp.

Take the resulting projectile (yeah, that's the WHOLE projectile and put it into a 357Magnum case, normally primed, using a powder charge appropriate for a 110gr 357Mag JHP projectile.

On firing, the powder in the 32acp primer pocket will light off when the "superbullet" is halfway down the barrel - starting the "rocket motor" effect with the the primer pocket acting like the nozzle. The burn will continue for about 20 feet, giving you another 1,000fps+ worth of boost. Energy should exceed anything an AK-47 normally spits out.

As a bonus, the coroner will get a serious case of "what the hell!?" when he finds a WHOLE round in a goblin...

Only problem is, I haven't been crazy enough to try it .
Old May 8, 2009, 10:04 PM   #20
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Fill the 32acp case to the brim with a slow-burn powder like H110. Stuff an 85gr Hornady XTP hollowpoint into it, putting a bit of crazy glue onto the rim of the case first. Give it a good crimp.
This was where I started to worry for you.

Quote:
On firing, the powder in the 32acp primer pocket will light off when the "superbullet" is halfway down the barrel - starting the "rocket motor" effect with the the primer pocket acting like the nozzle. The burn will continue for about 20 feet, giving you another 1,000fps+ worth of boost. Energy should exceed anything an AK-47 normally spits out.
And this was where, for the briefest of moments, I thought, "hey, that could be..."

Then I started to worry for me
Old May 9, 2009, 04:07 AM   #21
Dingoboyx

+1 Skull

I have a few mates who professionally kill roo's around Cooma, who use and swear by this, it is quite true. The pens they use are available here called Artline, and like you said, you have to use the fine tip type. The broad tip pens 'overdo' it & the projectile tends to split in flight after leaving the muzzle.

The thing is the lines must be very fine, dead straight & evenly spaced for maximum effect. I have been told the blue pen is the best colour to use (something in the pigment, I guess) red doesn't seem to work as well, black would be second choice.

BTW, also works on .22 solids as well, makes them really deadly when they split on impact

I am suprised you knew about this, the roo cullers usually keep this secret to themselves? Oh well, if it's out, it's out I guess.....

Definately works, try it for yourselves, doubters
Old May 14, 2009, 08:34 AM   #22
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. One thing that I forgot to mention about this method of modifying the projectiles is that you need to "mark" the FMJ at least six weeks before you intend to use them. That will give the chemical reaction time to take effect. 10 weeks is the ideal preparation period for them.
Old May 14, 2009, 06:27 PM   #23
czfonz

Quote:
G'day. One thing that I forgot to mention about this method of modifying the projectiles is that you need to "mark" the FMJ at least six weeks before you intend to use them. That will give the chemical reaction time to take effect. 10 weeks is the ideal preparation period for them.
Sounds like bs to me...lol
Old May 14, 2009, 06:41 PM   #24
Chipperman

Quote:
I have been told the blue pen is the best colour to use (something in the pigment, I guess) red doesn't seem to work as well, black would be second choice.
Silly Ozzies. Blue only works in the Southern Hemisphere. In the Northern Hemisphere you need to use Green color pens.