The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 5, 2009, 12:57 AM   #1
mellow_c

4" barrel vs 5" barrel in .44 mag (velocity?)

Thanx to everyone on the forum, I've decided I'd like a Classic Smith & Wesson 629. I'm undecided about what length of barrel I want, a 4" or 5"

I'm taking velocity into consideration, (among other things)

I asked this question bellow to Jeff Quinn, our buddy at Gunblast.com and you can see his reply as well bellow... What do you all think?

""""Hi Jeff.

I have a question for you. Can you tell me how much velocity I would loose in .44 magnum going from a 5" to a 4" barrel? I'm starting to get serious about buying one, and I cant make up my mind. This might help :-)

Thanx!"""""

*Practically none. In fact, depending upon the size of the barrel/cylinder gap, the 4 inch could be faster.

Jeff*
Old May 5, 2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Jim Downey

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html

Jim D.
http://www.communionofdreams.com/ Communion of Dreams - my current novel.
Old May 5, 2009, 08:42 AM   #3
CraigC

Jeff is right on, as usual. Every sixgun is a law unto itself and because there are so many variables, it's impossible for a blanket rule to apply to every gun. Due to variations among individual sixguns, it is entirely possible for a shorter sixgun to shoot faster than a longer one. In short, one inch of barrel could never make enough difference in velocity to warrant spending one minute worrying about it. Choose the length that suits you best.
Old May 5, 2009, 08:46 AM   #4
TinyDee

Elmer Keith, an old, old friend used a 4 inch barrel in his 44...
Old May 5, 2009, 09:36 AM   #5
batmann

As mentioned, a lot of factors go into velocity, bbl length, gap etc. If you are going for a Classic 629, I don't believe they come in 4" only 5" and longer. The regular 629's come in 4" and longer.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:50 AM   #6
carguychris

I've read that newer S&W .44Mag revolvers chronograph faster than older models with 1"-2" longer barrels! The tester attributed this effect to tighter B/C gaps and more precise shaping of the forcing cone with the new CNC machinery. I'll try and figure out the source and get back to you.

OTOH since the difference is only in the neighborhood of 50 fps or so, I would base the decision on which gun feels and carries better for you. I prefer longer barrels because IMHO they're easier to shoot accurately and look better, but YMMV.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Dingoboyx

Well then, according to the chart

Jeff was pretty well spot on

So now the decision is based on if you want to conceal, or if you want to shoot paper at the range? IMO, at 25 yards, the 5" might be a little more accurate (longer sight radius) and a little less felt recoil (a little extra gun weight)

The choice is yours.... I think for non concealing, I would go 5" (or one of each)
Old May 5, 2009, 02:29 PM   #8
GeauxTide

Unless you're unconscience to recoil, a 4" Smith will talk to you. For me, the torque of a 4" versus a 6" was very noticeable.
Old May 7, 2009, 01:17 AM   #9
mellow_c

Please

If you guys are still reading this post. can you tell me the difference between a "Classic 629" and a "regular 629" besides barrel length, if there is any?
Old May 7, 2009, 01:24 AM   #10
mellow_c

I might just have to hold one of each before I can really decide. and thats a bummer, since the chances of me holding one of either at any gun store around here is pretty slim.

Man. Good thing this gun will cost me around $800 ... that gives me some time to figure out which one I want.

I like the look, heaft, and sight radius of the 5",
but I like the look, pointability, and concealiability of the 4" Plus a 4" just seams more practical, and I'll be shooting mostly specials if I can find them anyway.
, any more you guys have to say is greatly appreciated!
Old May 7, 2009, 07:05 AM   #11
lmccrock

I have an older 4" 629 (-1), and ammo which is claimed to be 1200 fps from an 8" gun is 1000 fps from mine. Its a handful, even with those 240gr bullets going at "only" 1000 fps. It was easier to handle after I changed the grips, because the ones on it did not fit the gun very well (I bought the gun used so no telling what the factory configuration was).

If you want to carry, knowing what holster will determine whether you want 4" or 5".

Lee
Old May 7, 2009, 08:39 AM   #12
carguychris

Quote:
If you guys are still reading this post. can you tell me the difference between a "Classic 629" and a "regular 629" besides barrel length, if there is any?
The 629 Classic (aka Classic DX if it's an older model) has:

1) A full barrel underlug to absorb recoil. If you look at the technical specs on S&Ws website, the 5" 629 Classic outweighs the regular 6" 629 "non-Classic" by half an ounce.

2) An interchangeable front sight. The regular 629 uses a pinned front sight, which requires considerable mechanical skill and special tools to swap out. The Classic's sight is dovetailed and much more easily removable.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:05 AM   #13
CraigC

Quote:
The Classic has a full lug barrel, the standard 629 has the old standby bull barrel with shrouded ejector. The Classic DX was built to higher standards with an accuracy guarantee.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:16 AM   #14
mellow_c

lol,.
I thought once I decided on an S&W, I would be all set. But now you guys are telling me there are 3 different models to chose from?

what is a "full barrel underlug" ? or full lug barrel. On the 5" classic????

How is this different from the "old standby bull barrel with shrouded ejector" on the standard 4" 629????

Also is the "classic DX" still in production?

I'm starting to lean towards the 4" 629, But if the 5" classic has enough extra "quality" I would consider it. I'll have alot of research to do on my own after all this, but once again... any information you guys can give me is a HUGE help. I have little experience when it comes to knowing what makes a good revolver, let alone a .44 mag!

Thanx!
Old May 8, 2009, 06:56 AM   #15
carguychris

Full underlug means that the ejector rod housing extends all the way to the muzzle rather than ending where the rod ends. It adds weight at the forward end of the barrel and makes the gun more muzzle-heavy. This reduces muzzle flip and makes for easier follow-up shots, but at the cost of higher overall weight. The difference is clear if you look closely at the pictures of the 2 models in the S&W catalog.

The Classic DX was an upgraded model of the Classic available from 91-02. There's no difference in the gun itself other that the letters "DX" etched on the barrel; the difference is that the DX was shipped with several additional front sights, wood finger-groove combat stocks in addition to the rubber grip, and (for the longer barrels) a test target certifying that the gun is good for a 1-1/2" group at 50yds. The DX was dropped in 2002.
Old May 8, 2009, 05:05 PM   #16
Stainz

The nearest I can come is my 4" vs 6" 629, both current production (IL-equipped) -6's with similar.005-.006" b/c gaps:

All loads are in .44 Magnum cases with Fed LP primers - and are wimpy Magnums - with SD when 5 or more were shot.

240gr Berry's FP 'Opies load' - unknown - 4"/6" - 1013 +-8/1077 +-11 fps

240gr LSWC .429" 5.3 gr Titegroup - 4"/6" - 747 +-10/769 +-19 fps

300gr LSWC .429" 5.3 gr Titegroup - 4"/6" - 770 +-11/790 +-4 fps

To be blunt, the difference in a 4" & 6" is not significant with my milder loads. I doubt one could tell the difference between a 4" & 5", if they weighed the same. They don't - and the 4" is a half lug, while the 5" Classic has a full-lug. I would expect a tad less bounce in the 5" - and less muzzle rise, too. I prefer the traditional look - and pointability - of the 4". For 'real' Magnums, I use the .460/.500 Magnum Hogue/S&W monogrip, too.

Here are my 4" (SKU #163603) and 6" (SKU #163606) 629s, gripped for my usual fare - .44 Russians, Specials, and Wimpy-Magnums:

Stainz
Old May 13, 2009, 07:57 AM   #17
WESHOOT2

hot air (exiting bores)

Test or guess; only choices.

Speer #13 pgs 443/444 offers a fun read about barrel length vs velocity.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:07 PM   #18
Doodlebugger45

I like the longer barrels in 44 Mag, but it's not for velocity reasons. Mainly it's the sight radius. The 629 is fully capable of making 100 yard shots if you have a good rest. But the longer the barrel, the more precisely you can aim it at a small target a long ways away. My 629 with 8 3/8" barrel can make some great shots way out there. However, the 8" barrel is definitely cumbersome and bulky. The 5" or maybe a 6" barrrel would be a good compromise.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:37 PM   #19
madmo44mag

I love the 44mag and still own two.
Not a fan of the S&W do to blowing the top strap off one.(Old model 29) - (Same ammo I shoot today but in a Ruger)
Don't get me wrong S&W are fine guns, just not MY preference in the 44mag.

IMO the longer the barrel the better sight radius and the more weight to help control recoil.
Full bore 44mag loads in a 4-5 inch barrel will take some fun out of shooting after 50 or so rounds.
A good set of oversize Pachmayr helps a lot too.
Old June 22, 2009, 11:29 PM   #20
mellow_c

Hey guys... This thread has been sneaking along, and I've finally decided to post one last thing.

I've got it all figured out! My grandpa has very generous and gave me his old Virginian Dragoon, 7 1/2 inch single action .44 mag!

I love it, have yet to shoot it. Now of course I need a .44 mag to shoot instead of Grandpas which will spend most of its days in the safe, only coming out on special family outings.

So I've finally decided on a Smith and Wesson 629 Classic 4 inch. I like it the best, I held a Smith Mountain guns, which has a lighter barrel and is still 4" but a little better for carry. But the Classic already came with a red front sight, instead of a black front sight, also, the little extra weight of the Classic will ultimately be appreciated by me, despite the easier carry of the mountain gun (the classic balances perfectly, even though I feel the same about the mountain) and the Classic is atleast $75-100 less than the mountain gun if I remember.

SO I'm done... Thanx so much to EVERYONE for your input, I've made up my mind. Now I'll get around to saving for it eventually, after a few other priorities.

(p.s) I'm not a hunter yet. (I'm 25, please someone take me hunting!) But by some crazy chance I end up wanting to hunt with a .44 mag. Grandpas Dragoon will work great, it even has scope mounts if I really cared to go that far.
Old June 22, 2009, 11:55 PM   #21
Doodlebugger45

Hey mellow. Sounds like a plan! So what do you want to hunt?
Old June 26, 2009, 12:49 AM   #22
mellow_c

Probably nothing with the hand gun honestly. But soon I'd like to hunt rabbits, and eventually white tales.

.22lr for the bunnys.

and grandpas old .45/70 for the deer.