The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 12, 2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Ruger4570

Remington G3

For once I am really stumped. My Nephew got a Remington G3 as a wedding present. He wants a short slug barrel for it and told me his instructions say NOT to use 1100 or 11-87 barrels. I haven't seen this and he could have read it wrong. From what I know and can find out the G3 is basically nothing more than an 1100 with some fancy finishes, lockable case and slightly different stock and markings.
Question I have is: does anyone actually have some factual knowledge as to how he can get a slug barrel? I can't find anything on Remingtons site that helps. Without knowing any better, I am thinking he could fall back to an 1100 barrel which...I think... should work..
I appreciate any good answers.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:44 PM   #2
zippy13

Unlike other 2 3/4" 1100s, the G3 has a three-inch shell capacity. That's why it's called a G3 (but it may be for Third Generation). For now, it's a 26 or 28-in barrel.

Last edited by zippy13; May 13, 2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:51 AM   #3
SumToy Custom Barrel

The G3 we have not had a part. I have did a choke are two for them. They got the new Pro Bore barrel on them. Now the new 1100 Competition has the pro bore barrel with 2 3/4 chamber. We keep two of them in the shop working with them. We have put a old 1100 barrel on them. We Had them figured out so they shot them and we tested the new pro bore. Now That was with everyday day small shot. One more thing you have to keep your eye on is the OD of the barrels. You can bust the forearm.

Last edited by SumToy Custom Barrel; May 13, 2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:17 AM   #4
zippy13

As SumToy mentioned, the G3 has is a ProBore (overbored to .735" dia). While this may work well with shot, it's not best suited for slugs. With the G3's relatively high MSRP, perhaps you nephew would be happier if he swapped for a 11-87 with an extra barrel. Of course, being a wedding present a swap may be taboo.

It should be noted, the G3 was introduced in 2006 but is not available in 2009. It's not known if this is a pause in production or the end. With this in mind, extra 3" 1100 barrels may never be made available by Remington (there are none shown at their web site). If the G3s are a limited run, then they may be of great interest to Remington collectors. Your nephew is between a rock and a hard spot. Perhaps his G3 is best left NIB.
Old May 13, 2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Revicm

Interesting...I bought a G3 in 20 gauge last summer...maybe I should stop using it...not!
Old May 13, 2009, 07:55 PM   #6
SmokeyVol

I bought a 1100 G3 last fall and a matching 870 Wingmaster with the same Realwood stock & hard case. I am very interested in why the G3 is not in the Remington catalog anymore.
Old May 13, 2009, 08:47 PM   #7
Ruger4570

Zippy. I wondered about the G3 status myself. Short run or just a slow down in production. I haven't really seen any refference to the G3 on Remington web sites either. Leaves ya wondering.
I think you are right, the G3 was a wedding gift from his NOW wife. I think he will need to take this one to his grave.
I just wondered if a 1100 or 11-87 slug barrel would fit and of course, safely work.
This young man has been a wonderful nephew, he comes over every Tuesday night to spend time with my Mom and Dad (his grandparents)
I have a brand new unfired Ithaca Deerslayer ll that I thought I had sold for $600 but the guy backed out of the deal. I, right now, cannot think of a more deserving young man to get it as a birthday present from his Uncle.
I also want to thank all the other posters for the information you shared with me.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:11 PM   #8
SumToy Custom Barrel

I don't know about the G3 but we can get the new competition barrel from Remington. The old school guns that Remington had is a better gun from our test work. They make it in the sporting guns. They are not as much and the chokes that you have for your other Remington's will work with them. I know I have saw a lot of the Pro Bore stuff up for sale. I think it is because of the chokes. Guys/Gals dont want to have to buy all new chokes and do all the set up work to get then to work. Remington has talked with us about the test work we have did. They was going to come to the shop and test some of them. From what they say not to many folks are working with them. It is not a big sale item from what we see. Looks good but the old 727 to 729 bore will out shoot them. Now I have a STS Competition O/U with the Pro Bore and it will out shoot the 1100 but the G3 will give the STS a run for its money.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:20 PM   #9
zippy13

The G3 is in the Remington on-line catalog http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_1100_g3.asp
But there's a heading: This Product is Not Available for 2009.