The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 28, 2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Adirondack

Sturdy Gun Safes

I just bought a gun safe from these guys and it is really a great safe. Anyone else buy a safe from these guys? I have to admit I never heard of them before but I was doing a google search and ended up reading threads here and found out about them.

To be honest, I was going to buy a safe at Gander Mountain but as I started reading the comments on the different forums, I found that every safe I looked at people were complaining about. And I was surprised that many of the high end gun safes only had 12 ga steel on their bodies which is basically the thinkness of a school locker.

So I found Sturdy Safe thanks to the good comments on this site. I bought a 27"D,36"W,60"H with a 8ga body and not fire lined. 7ga wasn't much more and I thought the fire lining would have taken up too much room and added to much weight to the safe; well now I regret not getting either one added, they really are a great deal I just didn't know at the time. I've priced the ceramic wool and other materials that go into the fire lining and I can't do it myself cheaper. I will enclose it with fire rated drywall and it was the owner of the company who gave me that advice which is great credit upon him since he could have just said it was my problem now.

Things I like about their safes: a simple robust design, heavy gauge steel, reinforced door, a very sharp owner Terry who clearly knows his steel fabrication, made in the USA of US steel, a commercial grade combo box which is also made in the US and all of this for a good price ($2010 with custom shelving added, pistol racks and heater), and obviously great people who love what they do running the business.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:31 PM   #2
armsmaster270

I got a pentagon Safe with 1" door !/4" sides and ceramic lined plos the fireproofing and Paulseal gasket.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:38 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Wasn't Pentagon Safe formerly Sportsmen Steel in Southern California? They had a really bad reputation and the locals wouldn't buy from them.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:28 AM   #4
a1abdj

Quote:
I got a pentagon Safe with 1" door !/4" sides
How tipsy is that safe?

Usually with a 1" door, you would want a 1/2" body to give the safe enough weight to keep it from tipping. With a 1/4" body, I would imagine you'd need to keep it bolted to keep it from lifting when you swing the door.
Old May 29, 2009, 05:52 PM   #5
armsmaster270

No problems with tipping yet and I have had no problems at all. Besides the 1/4" plate it also has ceramic and fireproofing to add weight.. Yes they are in SO.Cal. I went to their Shop and saw how they made my safe. also CA DOJ , FBI, Homeland Security Secret Serviceand ATF uses them. Pentagon Merged with Sportsman Safes
2 HOUR FIRE RATING AVAILABLE
2300 DEGREE FIRE-RESISTANT!
AMERICAN MADE GUN SAFES!!!
NO DOORS BROKEN INTO IN 30 YEARS!
GUN SAFE SURVEY - RATED #1
"Gun Test Magazine - '91, '92"
Old May 29, 2009, 10:00 PM   #6
a1abdj

Quote:
NO DOORS BROKEN INTO IN 30 YEARS!
Any safe company that says one of their safes has never been "broken into" is usually full of crap.

That would mean that they not only have ever had one of their products burglarized, or they've never had a malfunction that's required a locksmith to open the safe.

If you make more than a few safes a year, the odds are against you.
Old May 29, 2009, 10:11 PM   #7
safe cracker

does it have a push button key pad, or a dial,....if it has a push button key pad you will be calling 1 of us soon.../
Old May 30, 2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Adirondack

I did look at Pentagon/Sportsman safes and even had a long discussion with one of their key designers. If it weren't for all of the complaints about them that I read and some seemingly strange design characteristics, I probably would have bought one.

For me the Sturdy Safe was the right choice. The safe is very intelligently designed, and I know would be a pain to try to break into. In fact, I'd be surprised if there is a more secure safe per weight than the safes they make are but maybe one of these safe experts knows for sure ... Safe Cracker?

If anyone is thinking about buying a safe, definitely check their website out. There is a lot of good info and I honestly think the owner Terry is making the best safe he knows how to make. I can see myself buying another safe from them once I build a home in a few years but the next one won't be as big and it will definitely be fire lined.
Old June 2, 2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Skans

I've owned a Sportsman Steel safe now for about 15 years. Its one of their lower end safes, but it does the trick. Would I rather have a safe with 1" door and 1/4 inch steel shell? Sure. I'd probably buy it from Sportsman Steel too.

I don't know what kind of problems people have had with Sportsman Steel - you get what you pay for. If you buy a lower end model like mine, don't expect it to hold up to some semi-pros with the right equipment. But, your ordinary thief won't be able to open it or move it quick enough for them to get my guns.
Old June 2, 2009, 09:13 AM   #10
tmd11111

Quote:
I just bought a gun safe from these guys and it is really a great safe. Anyone else buy a safe from these guys? I have to admit I never heard of them before but I was doing a google search and ended up reading threads here and found out about them.

To be honest, I was going to buy a safe at Gander Mountain but as I started reading the comments on the different forums, I found that every safe I looked at people were complaining about. And I was surprised that many of the high end gun safes only had 12 ga steel on their bodies which is basically the thinkness of a school locker.

So I found Sturdy Safe thanks to the good comments on this site. I bought a 27"D,36"W,60"H with a 8ga body and not fire lined. 7ga wasn't much more and I thought the fire lining would have taken up too much room and added to much weight to the safe; well now I regret not getting either one added, they really are a great deal I just didn't know at the time. I've priced the ceramic wool and other materials that go into the fire lining and I can't do it myself cheaper. I will enclose it with fire rated drywall and it was the owner of the company who gave me that advice which is great credit upon him since he could have just said it was my problem now.

Things I like about their safes: a simple robust design, heavy gauge steel, reinforced door, a very sharp owner Terry who clearly knows his steel fabrication, made in the USA of US steel, a commercial grade combo box which is also made in the US and all of this for a good price ($2010 with custom shelving added, pistol racks and heater), and obviously great people who love what they do running the business.
Gee, only two post by this guy and both are very similar. This is nothing but someone from this company drumming up business with false testomany.

Don't drink the coolaid
Old June 4, 2009, 01:20 PM   #11
Adirondack

Quote:
Gee, only two post by this guy and both are very similar. This is nothing but someone from this company drumming up business with false testomany.
Okay I'll admit it looks suspicious but I'm not actually new here I had another user name but it's been so long since I posted I can't remember it.

I'm pretty happy with my gun safe is the reason for the multiple posts on the subject. I had never heard of Sturdy Safe and wouldn't have heard of them if it weren't for this forum, I'm just posting that I'm a happy customer and returning the favor for someone else who is the market.

The safe is exactly what I had been looking for: not a lot of fluff just heavy steel, a very good combo lock, solid construction that was within my budget ~2K. Although it's against my better judgement to post pictures of my safe and guns, I think I have enough safeguards in place now from a security standpoint to keep some dumbass out there from attempting to breakin.
Old June 4, 2009, 01:45 PM   #12
Adirondack

Okay here are a few pictures:

I got the custom shelves added. From their specs they said the shelves could hold about 150Lbs each. I gave it a test with my weight and it easily held me at 210Lbs so the top shelf and the one second up from the bottom are pretty much solid shells; probably about 120Lbs each.

I also took a picture from next to my garage of a 60+ foot Maple trees in the background. I don't know if Fresno California has 60 foot Maple trees in backyards of homes or if their grass is as green this time of the year. edit: Oops, i only could upload three. Well if anyone wants to see a picture of a 60+ foot Maple tree I can post that too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0219.JPG (118.7 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0220.JPG (108.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0221.JPG (102.6 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by Adirondack; June 4, 2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Couldn't upload them all