The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 12, 2009, 04:39 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

COP derringer

Saw one of these at an auction today. Looked like a nice little gun. I actually went to the auction to check out the "357 derringer" they had listed. I assumed it was a normal two shot. Had I know what it was I would have done some homework on it. Ended up selling for $375 I think. I started concentrating on a Winchester model 11 shotgun when it passed $200 since I did not know anything about it.
http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms...ls/COP_357.htm

Anyone own one? Shot one? Heard about it? likes or dislikes?
Quote:
Two frequent complaints about the COP 357 are that it is too heavy to be used as a backup gun, and that the trigger pull is too heavy for rapid fire—even heavier than most modern revolvers.
-Wikimedia
Can you work on the triggers a bit or is it pretty much stuck with a heavy pull b/c of the rotating striker?
Old July 12, 2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Microgunner

They weigh a ton. No wonder, 4 barrels. A S&W J framed .357 or equivalent would be far superior. When built, they were one of the smallest .357's on the market. Not any longer. But as a curiosity piece, why not.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:09 PM   #3
fastbolt

I owned and carried one for a bit as a young cop.

Heavy.

Grip ergonomics are lacking, not to mention the grip being somewhat smallish and oddly shaped, when trying to control full power Magnum loads.

Point-of-aim & point-of-impact sort of overlapped at very close range.

Trigger stroke was long, spongy, stacking and not predictable for break.

Ever have one of those dreams where a trigger stroke seems to last forever, becomes increasingly harder and you aren't sure the gun is going to fire? You were dreaming about the COP Derringer.

Naturally, it developed a problem firing on one barrel. The company tried to fix it at least once, as I recall.

I traded it off.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:12 PM   #4
RJay

the way they were designed they kicked like a mule. Very uncomfortable, I believe one of the most unpleasant I'ver shot. One reason they didn't sell along with the trigger pull. And on the Model 11, you did well to pass on it.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:21 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

I own one. Recoil is unpleasant. Trigger pull is about 63,000 lbs +/- 1 ton. I have trouble making the gun group with 4 shots. I am not even sure I can pattern with it beyond 5 yards.
$375 was a good price for one, however, even if in just fair condition.
Old July 12, 2009, 08:06 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

The rebels on Battlestar Galactica used them when they attacked the Colonial government. Useless fact.
Old July 12, 2009, 08:54 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

It was with the box in like new condition and the box was just lightly worn on the edges. Paperwork included
Old July 13, 2009, 11:52 PM   #8
ramp_tech

Quote:
The rebels on Battlestar Galactica used them when they attacked the Colonial government. Useless fact.
johnwilliamson062, are you just going to let the him take a dump on your thread like that? lol
I wouldn't buy any derringer myself-- even if the model has 8 barrels.
Old July 13, 2009, 11:57 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

More useless entertainment facts...
Films
Monica Bellucci as Persephone in The Matrix Reloaded
Tchéky Karyo as Fouchet in Bad Boys
Brion James as Leon Kowalski in Blade Runner
Devon Aoki as Kira in War
The Blue Iguana
Steve James as Logan Blade in Street Hunter
It was also shown in the TV movie The Return of The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Fifteen Years Later Affair
Also seen being wielded by female drug lab operator and pointed at Benjamin Bratt in movie "Bound By Honor; Blood In, Blood Out"
[edit]
Television
James Remar as Meier and Grace Park as Sharon in Battlestar Galactica
A security guard in Stargate SG-1
Used by Detective Nicholas O'Malley (Michael Landes) and Detective Kate Benson (Alexondra Lee) against hostage takers at a party in Special Unit 2 - Season 2, Episode 5 "The Eve"
Old July 14, 2009, 07:14 AM   #10
Skans

A new in box COP with paperwork will go for upwards of $700-$800, maybe even more because you rarely find them in box with paperwork and unused.

A good condition COP without paperwork and box will sell for between $400 - $600, just depending on how much someone wants one.

I have one - never fired it. Like others have said, the trigger pull is heavy, but really not that much heavier than an older 357 double action revolver.

The gun is a solid chunk of stainless steel - well constructed. Internally, it uses a striker and a ratcheting mechanism that rotates a disk which is configured so that when it is struck it only connects with one of the 4 floating firing pins at a time. Very interesting internal mechanism! That's why I bought the gun. I was lucky enough to find a complete set of spare parts cheap which I intend to keep with the pistol, hoping that it would enhance it's resale value some day. I'd love to find a box for it. Last one I saw at auction sold for over $100 - too rich for me.
Old July 16, 2009, 10:27 AM   #11
Indy_Guy_77

I'd rather shoot 110gr .357 loads out of a COP than +p .38Spec. loads out of my S&W 642.

I'd like to have one for the "neat" factor; but there are way better alternatives if one were thinking of this as a carry weapon.

-J-
Old July 16, 2009, 02:21 PM   #12
Sulaco2

Had one for a while, sold it when others that had one said the gun (not mine) started to fire more than one barrel at a time?
Old July 16, 2009, 03:14 PM   #13
Skans

Quote:
Had one for a while, sold it when others that had one said the gun (not mine) started to fire more than one barrel at a time?
I really don't see how that's possible. You'd have to make some serious changes to the ratcheting striker (part actually called "ratchet") for that to happen. It simply can't hit more than one firing pin at a time. I believe someone had made one that will fire 2 chambers at a time for the movie Blade Runner.

Here's a blow up of the COP 357 Internals: http://props.steinschneider.com/cop_357/cop_357.htm

Last edited by Skans; July 16, 2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old July 16, 2009, 03:30 PM   #14
hardluk1

American derringer makes a DA two shot that can be bought in 9mm,40s&w and several other calibers, but there prices have got'n so high its hard to think about them at 600+.
Old July 16, 2009, 03:49 PM   #15
.351winchester

Quote:
I started concentrating on a Winchester model 11 shotgun when it passed $200 since I did not know anything about it.
The typical AD with this baby has decapitated many owners. Barrel cock with barrel downrange ONLY

Quote:
Steve James as Logan Blade in Street Hunter
LOL I got this on VHS. He also packs a Calico machine pistol and a doberman on a chain for a leash. Busts John Leguizamo's nose and goes "Now you can't put any more nose candy up it" LOL

You should of of went for this COP. Cult classic pocket powerhouse. Before the Glock 26, there was this or the 'manual automatic' .45 Semmerling. It will do the business but has that funky 70's/80's grit, like a High Standard 10B shotgun. A wild idea brought to life in steel.
Nowdays you can get a 5 shot snub at 1/2 the weight in .357 but it doesn't have the same flair as a collectible or show off peice.

Quote:
American derringer makes a DA two shot that can be bought in 9mm,40s&w and several other calibers
Check this one out in "Roadhouse", after Ben Gazzarra gets beat down by Pat Swayze, then pulls this out and goes "I thought it would be fun to fight you, Dalton" LOL again

I'll never buy an AD. I ordered an (overpriced) hollowed out stash book off their site and recieved nothing or recieved one reply to repeated emails.

Last edited by .351winchester; July 16, 2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old July 17, 2009, 09:54 AM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

Didn't American Derringer buy the rights to the gun but I don't think they produced it. There was a nonactive link to a four barreled derringer on their site for years.

However, I don't know if they are active as a company. I read they were put out of business by a lawsuit and then saw some responses that they were still in business but I never see new guns from them and the site is from 2000.

We did have this thread:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/....php?p=2978596

but the site still hasn't changed.
Old July 17, 2009, 10:45 AM   #17
hardluk1

Glenn they only build now when they have a order for one and takes about 6 weeks . But after hear'n the price i don't need one. The DA derringers do wieght about the same as most ultralites out now at 14.something oz but theyare smaller. O well. If 400 they would sell but 600. I talked to some gal there.
Old July 17, 2009, 03:21 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

I sent them an e-mail at the address listed in that old thread and received a reply. Just e-mail what you want and they will ship it to your FFL of choice.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; July 17, 2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old July 19, 2009, 10:38 AM   #19
Jbar4Ranch

I came across this one at a local gun show in August of '06 for $350.

It is unfired, but came without the box & owner's manual. Karma immediately intervened and whilst sitting at a Burger King three months later in Lynden, Washington perusing the Web on my laptop, I came across the box on eBay for $25. It's the only box I've ever seen come up for sale by itself.

SASS 47015
Old July 21, 2009, 10:38 AM   #20
johnwilliamson062

Just received a catalog from AD. Looking at one of their 8 inchers as a hunting gun...

Sent me a price list, I will see if I can get it scanned ad uploaded.

They offer a 45-70 single shot. $705
7.5 oz M7 available in a range of calibers including 44 spl. $810

Seems they distribute directly which is why no one sees their wares on shelves.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; July 21, 2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old July 21, 2009, 12:56 PM   #21
Housezealot

mt grandpa used to carry one of these, neat pistol but probably not the most practical to carry, like others said loooong trigger pull and it kicks like a mule.
my grandpa doesn't carry any more after a N/D and doesn't seem to have the mental wherewithal to handle firearms safely any more, my dad now keeps the key to his gunsafe I have wanted to offer to buy the COP and a few other guns from him, but I know he would probably just give them to me so it doesn't feel right making him an offer on them, I don't want him to think I am fishing for a gift.
Old July 21, 2009, 01:03 PM   #22
johnwilliamson062

I goto a lot of estate auctions and i have seen a large number of once very nice gun collections that have rusted away in safes.
Old July 21, 2009, 08:33 PM   #23
shurshot

I remember seeing one at a gunshop in Eastern Maine in 92 0r 93, in the box, mint, for $150.00!!!! "Would have, could have....should have"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 27, 2010, 07:42 AM   #24
JC7071

I love mine

Yeah, it's a BEAR to shoot, at least full-bore .357 rounds. But it shoots .38's pretty well. I bought mine, used, for the "neatness" factor. The first time I saw one was in a movie with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, I forgot the name of it, but anyway, the bad guy had it. The 4 barrels blew me away. I think it shoots ok, and as for the trigger pull, that's because it has no safety. I have a small belt slide holster that fits it perfectly. I know it's not a really great quality gun, but again, it does have that neat factor.
Old November 27, 2010, 09:57 AM   #25
GeorgeF

The tv show 'psych' also had the bad guy (woman actually) wield one of these in an episode a few weeks ago. Just an FYI.