The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 19, 2009, 09:50 PM   #1
sig_shooter

CCW Not so carefully done

I happened to be in the local supermarket tonight and witnessed the reason for uninformed people being scared of guns as well as anti-carry laws.

I was walking threw the dairy section of the store when a guy carrying a S&W M&P compact in a thumb strap Galco holster. He did not display a badge or any ID as a LEO. Here in WA State we have total concealment requirement. If you print or show your gun in any way stupid people freak. As was the case tonight.

The holster and the gun looked new. The reason I say this is because there were no scratches on the holster from use and the strap was still more round over the back of the gun not like a holster that has been used and the strap conforms. The pistol looked bright and shiny on the slide. Not like the one I carry. It got dull in about a week of carry, So I have to guess he was either he is new to concealed carry or just an idiot.

I want to keep the right to carry my gun but this fellow is the type of person to get my
rights taken away.

Now the question. What would you do?
Old July 19, 2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Anticonn

I would politely and discretely inform him that his weapon is visible, and that your state has absurd laws regarding that so he'd be well-advised to cover up.

That or call him an idiot on the internet.
Old July 19, 2009, 10:54 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

Maybe you should write you reps and ask for the right to open carry?
I am pretty sure that fellow is not the one getting your rights taken away. Think about it.
Old July 19, 2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Brad Cowin

Get with the program, bud. WA is an open carry state. Thumbs up for that guy, and thumbs down for you.
Old July 19, 2009, 11:35 PM   #5
Brad Cowin

Oh, and "what would I do"?

I would walk up to him, my self open carrying, and chat with him. Hopefully others would see two law abiding gun owners peaceably going about their business and lose some of their irrational fear of firearms.
Old July 20, 2009, 12:17 AM   #6
troy_mclure

only in Seattle, and Spokane city limits is open cary forbidden in WA.

you should really know your ccw laws before you try to bash somebody.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old July 20, 2009, 08:45 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I want to keep the right to carry my gun but this fellow is the type of person to get my rights taken away.
It's not about you. If he is breaking the law, then he is the type of person to get his own rights taken away, not yours.

Quote:
Now the question. What would you do?
Better question, what did YOU do?
Old July 20, 2009, 08:48 AM   #8
johnwilliamson062

he was probably from outside the cty and did not realize the rules.
Could he have been an off duty officer or retired? In Ohio they do not have to have their badge shown to carry, but of course anyone can open carry in Ohio.
Old July 20, 2009, 09:39 AM   #9
Brad Cowin

What a terrible thread... Washington is an open carry state. No laws were being broke. You can OC without a CPL. You can OC if you're just visiting. Washington has state has complete firearm preemption. It is legal to OC in any county, city, town, municipal, etc.
Old July 20, 2009, 10:10 AM   #10
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig_shooter
Here in WA State we have total concealment requirement.
You are WRONG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_mclure
only in Seattle, and Spokane city limits is open cary forbidden in WA.
You are WRONG.

Where did you guys get your information from?

Quote:
happened to be in the local supermarket tonight and witnessed the reason for uninformed people being scared of guns as well as anti-carry laws.
You did not witness ANY reason at all for unimformed people to be scared of guns. What you witnessed was a LAW ABIDING citizen who chose to have the means available to protect themselves in accordance with rights guaranteed to them by the Constitution of the United States, the constitution of the State of Washington, and by a carry method that is not prohibited by state law and that CANNOT be prohibited by any other lower government in Washington state because of Washington's excellent preemption law.

If you two are going to carry guns, I would respectfully suggest that you become a lot more knowledgeable regarding Washington's firearms laws than you have demonstrated here.

BTW, if that guy you saw carrying a gun that way would have been a guy carrying a Taurus PT-45 in a Bianchi Accumold holster, that would have been me.

Quote:
So I have to guess he was either he is new to concealed carry or just an idiot.
Since when do we call LAW ABIDING citizens idiots just because they have the fortitude to show the public what being an American is all about. I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States; carrying my firearm openly and proudly is one small way that I can fulfill that oath on a daily basis.

Quote:
If you print or show your gun in any way stupid people freak.
Seems to me like the only person "freaking" was you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062
Could he have been an off duty officer or retired? In Ohio they do not have to have their badge shown to carry, but of course anyone can open carry in Ohio.
Anyone can open carry in Washington as well, including Seattle and Spokane.

Citations to references:
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?act...downfile;id=14

or read the actual statutes here:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41

The Gun Rights Pamphlet linked above does contain one error:
It is NOT required for a person without a CPL to keep an unloaded firearm cased and concealed in a vehicle. It is only required for a person without a CPL in a vehicle to NOT conceal the firearm ON THEIR PERSON, and for the gun to be unloaded.

Last edited by NavyLT; July 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old July 20, 2009, 10:26 AM   #11
CraigC

"If" I saw someone carrying concealed that printed or exposed his carry piece in a state that does not allow open-carry, I would quietly and politely let him know. That was the case in FL but not here in TN. I would certainly not make any assumptions about his character just because the pistol or holster were new. I've been shooting all my life but I buy new holsters and guns all the time. So just because my holster and pistol may appear new does not indicate that he just fell off the turnip truck. Besides, we were all new to this at one time.

That said, it doesn't sound like the guy did anything wrong, that you are misinformed and made some incorrect assumptions.
Old July 20, 2009, 10:31 AM   #12
Wildalaska

I would have screamed "Hes got a gun, hes got a gun" then dive over the top of the watermelon display, scattering watermelon everywhere, whilst screaming TANGO TANGO TANGO.

At that point you could get your 300 Winny H&R single shot out of your threat plate reenforced briefcase.

WildthatoughttocalmthesituationAlaska TM
Old July 20, 2009, 10:44 AM   #13
Fremmer

LOL @ Wild, I would have started screaming when Wild started screaming, the effect is a lot better when there are at least two people screaming.

I would leave him alone and mind my own business, which ought to happen a lot more in the United States. JMHO.

Last edited by Fremmer; July 20, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old July 20, 2009, 10:51 AM   #14
chris in va

Ouch, thoroughly debunked.

Sorry couldn't resist. Hopefully the OP will be educated now and maybe open carry themselves.

Quote:
If you print or show your gun in any way stupid people freak. As was the case tonight.
Just curious, were you the only one to freak?
Old July 20, 2009, 11:27 AM   #15
lockedcj7

I was a young manager in a retail store and observed a customer shopping with his family. He was wearing a sweatshirt and the barrel and bottom part the holster for his CCW was sticking out. I discreetly informed our security guard (who was an off-duty officer) and he went to check the guy out. He recognized the guy as a LEO and that was the end of it.

MYOB unless it's your job and then don't make a mountain out of a mole-hill.
Old July 20, 2009, 11:40 AM   #16
sig_shooter

Thanks for the information and the beat down

Is the crow akin to the foot in mouth?
I have never read the laws regarding OC in WA. Just the CC was what I was concirned with. I spoke with a Sheriff and a state patrol officer as well as a local cop about how to carry. they all said CC is not open carry. I know most cops don't know all the detalis of laws pertaining to CC but the advice I got was keep it covered.
I now am quite a bit more informed. thanks for the info.
What I did do is nothing but talk to my wife about it while shopping and on the way home.
I was in Marysville and I know it was a Galco Fletch holster and a S&W M&P. I know that bc I carry the same gun in the same rig on the same side of my body.
My wife was the first to see it because she heard the person next to her talking on the phone about it to some one out side the store. that got my attention.
Old July 20, 2009, 11:56 AM   #17
NavyLT

sig_shooter,

But, open carriers are still idiots?
Old July 20, 2009, 12:00 PM   #18
kwiebe

Quote:
I spoke with a Sheriff and a state patrol officer as well as a local cop about how to carry.
This pretty much explains it.
Old July 20, 2009, 12:02 PM   #19
Doc Intrepid

As crow is eaten and a chorus of "mea culpa's" rises, it remains a valid point that if you are going to carry concealed, then it is the responsibility of the carrier to ensure the firearm is truly concealed.

Because people CAN get real edgy these days.

It's also helpful to remember that not every civilian shares the same "perspective".

I was in line at a fast food restaurant once (not armed) when a high little child's voice piped up "Mommy, that man has a gun". A gentleman in a sportcoat and tie was standing in line. The little person in question was perhaps under 2' tall, perhaps 2 or 3 years old, and standing next to the man. Apparently the little person could see up beneath the sportcoat, from his unique perspective, and spotted the gun on the belt. As kids do, he kept repeating his assertion over and over, much to the embarrassment of the CCW holder and the child's mother. It didn't cause much consternation among the other adults, but under different circumstances it might have.

I've remembered that episode, and its one reason why I carry using an IWB holster rather than an outside-the-waistband option.

(Not that I spend that much time standing in line next to little people,... )

But IF its a concealed carry state, one of the main CCW responsibilities is to ensure your piece is truly concealed.....

Old July 20, 2009, 12:25 PM   #20
m1gunr

Man do some of you guys need to come over to the OpenCarry website and get informed.

Washington OpenCarry Forum: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/

Main Website: www.Opencarry.org
Old July 20, 2009, 12:38 PM   #21
divemedic

IF OC is legal, who cares if people get edgy or upset? That is their problem, not mine.
Old July 20, 2009, 12:41 PM   #22
m.p.driver

I would have bludgened him with a rump roast and then started shrieking like a ten year old girl (tango down,tango down)My goal the next time in Arizona is walking down the middle of Tombstone,high noon with a .45 on my hip.Then sticking it in my car and going to the Crystal Palace for a beer.
Old July 20, 2009, 02:28 PM   #23
Double Naught Spy

Chris, what are you suggesting by serving grackle with a side of greens?
Old July 20, 2009, 02:34 PM   #24
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If OC was legal here in FLA I would have to get me a wide belt with integral holster and shell loops for an 8 inch SA wheel gun hung low with rawhide tie down to keep it in place when I draw...
Brent
Old July 20, 2009, 03:11 PM   #25
Right Wing Wacko

Quote:
My goal the next time in Arizona is walking down the middle of Tombstone,high noon with a .45 on my hip.Then sticking it in my car and going to the Crystal Palace for a beer.
If you want it to be authentic, you better carry a .38. I don't think Wyatt Erp or Ike Clanton carried 1911's
Closed Thread