The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 26, 2009, 12:08 AM   #1
MAX100

Hi-Point 995TS with Co-Witness RD Sight & OC Tact Sling Pics

The new High Point 995TS (Tactical Stock) carbine is a much nicer looking rifle than the standard 995. This new stock is well made, durable, solid and looks nice for a $250 rifle. The hard plastic recoil pad is mounted on three recoil springs that are hidden in the stock to dampen recoil. Not really needed for a 9mm but it works well and is a nice feature and excellent idea. For me the stock drop isn't quite enough. I find myself pushing my cheek into the stock looking through the sights. The rails are fiberglass but pretty durable for mounting a lightweight optic. Aluminum would be better but you have to consider what the rifle cost and Hi Points Excellent lifetime Warranty. The forend is made of hard thick polymer, it's very durable nice looking design and it gives the rifle a very robust feel. There is also a sturdy fiberglass rail under the forend and the barrel for mounting accessories. It's an accurate fun rifle to shoot and it would make an excellent starter tactical rifle or a kids first rifle; one that they would always remember. It's accurate enough to use as a varmint rifle out to 100 yards. It's compact size, reputation for being reliable and the 9mm caliber makes it a good choice for home defense as well.

Manufacturer: Hii-Point Firearms
Model: 995TS Carbine
Action: Semi-automatic
Caliber: 9MM
Barrel Length: 16.5"
Finish/Color: Black Matte
Stock: New Style Tactical Stock
Capacity: 10rd single stack - Aftermarket single stack 15rd Hi-Cap mags available from ProMag but most need a little tweaking to be reliable. What do you expect they are made by ProMag.
*Red Dot and tact sling in the pictures not included with rifle.

Co-Witness Red Dot sight for the New 995TS

New out by Konus - Pro Atomic Red Dot Aimpoint T-1 style sight. I pick one up a few months ago to try out on an AK and found it makes an excellent co-witness RD sight for the New Hi Point 995TS carbine. It will also co witness on other firearms as well because it mounts lower than most RD sights.

*Model# 7245
*1X25mm outer tube - 20mm inner
*Battery - 3V CR2032
*4moa dot @ 100
*1/2" click @ 100 - 1/4" @ 50 yards
*11 brightness settings
*Weight - 3.8 oz
*Heavy duty aluminum base mount with hardened steel 1/2" hex nut
*Made in China
*Konus USA has excellent no questions ask lifetime replacement warranty.
*Retail - $99 Bucks

The Konus will Co Witness very well on the HP 995TS and the RD sits on the tip of the front sight. It's simple to sight in, just sight the irons in then adjust the RD so it is sitting on the tip of the front sight you are done. The hole in the aperture sight was a little too small for my liking so I used a 5/64" drill bit to opened it up a little and this greatly improved it. Anyone that wants to open theirs up go slow and easy at low speed because it's made of plastic. The inside of the aperture is a shinny plastic so dulled it up with some very fine sand paper wrapped around a drill bit with some hanging over the end and chucked it in a drill. This will stop any light reflection and help with the sight picture in bright light.

The rail on the 995TS is made of fiberglass so you need to be careful not to over tighten the 1/2" nut on the Konus mount. Those with a torque wrench I tighten mine to 30 in/lbs and I believe that is just right. In bright sunlight the dot needs to be set on highest setting 10 or 11 to see it well. I have tested the the Konus out on an AK and it has done very well so it should have problem on the 995TS. This RD sight has a lifetime replacement Warranty and Konus USA has excellent customer service if you need it.

The picture shows the durable mount on the Konus PA T-1 sight with 1/2" hex nut

Close up look through the factory rear aperture sight & the Konus showing the Co-Witness with the front sight. The glass of the Konus has the blue tint that enables you to see the red dot better in bright light but it's darker in low light

If anyone is interested in a good lower cost sling The Outdoor Connection has a New 2 point tactical sling out called the Edge. It's a very nice lower cost sling that works very well on the 995TS, Retail - $13. It has a 2" wide elastic strap that is very comfortable, it's very well made and doesn't have a cheap feel or look to it like most lower cost slings. It also can be used as a one point sling. The metal buckles that comes with the HP carbine sling will also fit the OC Tact sling.

OC Tact sling @ MidwayUSA, Link:
http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#out..._1-2-4_8-16-32

I think Hi Point has a winner with the new 995TS. It is a definite improvement over the older stock design. It's a fun rifle to shoot and would be a good first starter rifle. It's accurate enough to use as a varmint rifle out to 100 yards and it's a good choice for home defense.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; July 26, 2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old July 26, 2009, 01:47 AM   #2
Andhar

Very nice, I have a ATI'd 995. I am kinda wondering how it feels compared to the ATI & where did you find that little sight? How does the red dot hold up to recoil?

Sorry lots of questions.
Old July 26, 2009, 02:04 AM   #3
MAX100

Quote:
Very nice, I have a ATI'd 995. I am kinda wondering how it feels compared to the ATI & where did you find that little sight? How does the red dot hold up to recoil?

Sorry lots of questions.
I have never tried the ATI stock. Like I said in the writeup I have a Konus T-1 sight on my AK and it has help up well and I now own two of them. Konus USA has very good customer service and Lifetime replacement warranty.

Midway USA sales the Konus T-1 sight and I carry them also.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; July 26, 2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old July 26, 2009, 02:05 AM   #4
predator86

now if that doesnt sound like a blatant advertisement i dont know what does
Old July 26, 2009, 02:20 AM   #5
MAX100

Quote:
now if that doesn't sound like a blatant advertisement i dont know what does
I was asked, Thank You! Please stick to the Topic!

Midway will appreciate all of the business I am sending their way.

GC
Old July 26, 2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Te Anau

Good job Hi-Point!