The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 16, 2009, 03:08 PM   #1
Hunley

Why GA's firing ranges are disappearing...

I'm copying this from another forum I'm a member of. I was not the original poster, but I felt that this needed to be shared. The video link below is to a YouTube video of a few idiots demolishing the wooden target posts made by volunteers at a WMA range in northern GA. Please watch the whole thing.

If you see something like this... please stop it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZdK6Yqlqxw
Old August 16, 2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Dr. Strangelove

That is exactly why most of the WMA ranges closed. Once almost every WMA had a range, now only a select few that are managed. If you are talking about the GON, I'm under the same name there and posted something about public ranges about a year ago.

It's a shame, but leave anything open to the public, and the idiots will soon ruin it for the rest of us.
Old August 16, 2009, 03:29 PM   #3
salukigraves85

I wish more ranges who do not have staff on duty would mount up some camera's. That way if idiots are dumb enough to do this stuff they will be caught.
Old August 16, 2009, 03:31 PM   #4
P5 Guy

Stop Them?

How? Their total disregard leads me to think I'd end up in the berm. Even politely asking them to stop would most likely not end well.
Old August 16, 2009, 03:33 PM   #5
MLeake

These are probably the same people...

... who smash their empty longnecks in kids' playgrounds.

Never did understand those people. They're like alien life forms.
Old August 16, 2009, 03:48 PM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
These are probably the same people...
... who smash their empty longnecks in kids' playgrounds.

Never did understand those people. They're like alien life forms
And these are the same yahoos that the antis use to portray gun owners as, and most of us do nothing.
Old August 16, 2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Hog Hunter

I live around the Valdosta are in Ga. and there is a few shooting ranges in the area . I myself have never been to one because i have the luxary of stepping out my back door and there is a berm. But i know what you are talking about with the "idiots" giving ethical hunters and gun owners a bad name.
Old August 16, 2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Hunley

Quote:
And these are the same yahoos that the antis use to portray gun owners as, and most of us do nothing.
That's my biggest concern. Crap like this hurts us all.

And yes Dr. Strangelove, it is GON. I use the same name there as well.
Old August 16, 2009, 06:11 PM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

The range is John's Mountain in Resaca. It's a good range.

Stuff like that is not only appallingly unsafe, it's the reason we have so few DNR ranges in Georgia. There used to be a great one in Jasper that closed down for exactly this sort of thing. I sometimes witnessed similar behavior there.

This is also why many municipalities are opposed to allowing zoning for outdoor ranges.

Quote:
I wish more ranges who do not have staff on duty would mount up some camera's.
Trust me, cameras would be the first thing to be shot.

Last edited by Tom Servo; August 16, 2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old August 16, 2009, 06:15 PM   #10
MLeake

I really need to set up that berm on our place...

Although part of me worries it will attract yahoo trespassers, who will shoot high and pose a threat to our horses.

I think the odds of that are fairly low, though. And frankly, when hunting season hits the WMA adjacent to the property, stupid hunters will be a potential threat, berm or no.
Old August 16, 2009, 07:33 PM   #11
RaisedByWolves

Heres more brilliance from them.

Draining gasoline into a street sewer.

Check at the 1min mark.

Old August 16, 2009, 08:42 PM   #12
snipecatcher

I flagged it. Perhaps Youtube will take it down.
Old August 16, 2009, 08:51 PM   #13
Kyo

i just go to bullseye and american classic marksman. idk where else to go? Conyers is a private place and they have no new members, and idk how I feel about mandatory meetings and such. Kinda far from me. I wish I could experience an outdoor range in GA. Would love it! Very unrealistic though, unless someone a bunch of us can finance one...
Old August 16, 2009, 09:26 PM   #14
Farmland

He isn't the brightest light bulb in the world. In any event I'm pretty sure I found him. So if you want to report him this may help. There is a photo of him at the same range plus another one pointing a gun to his head.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...=615865&page=2
Old August 16, 2009, 09:45 PM   #15
Kyo

im ashamed to say thats a P345 he's pointing at his stupid self. numnuts
Old August 16, 2009, 10:21 PM   #16
jmr40

I thought that looked like Johns Mt. WMA. I used to shoot there, but ran into a few idoits, nothing that bad. I know a few Game Wardens and I will make sure see the video. They caught some punks shooting waterfowl from a video they posted recently in Canada. Looks like some good video that should make it easy to catch someone.
Old August 17, 2009, 12:58 AM   #17
Tom Servo
Staff

I can positively identify the one with the goatee who fires at the camera during the climax. I plan on contacting all ranges within the area, and an associate who works in his industry will be in contact with his employers.

A message has been sent to the DNR.

I would like to make one salient point, though:

This is the worst I've seen, but it didn't happen in a vacuum. I've noticed a shockingly cavalier attitude about safety among new shooters over the last three years or so.

We can blame their parents, we can blame John Woo movies, we can blame video games or fatty foods. The cause is irrelevant. It falls to us to break the cycle. There is no excuse for any sort of safety violation, no matter how minor.

It's our responsibility to correct this behaviour.
Old August 17, 2009, 08:38 AM   #18
oneounceload

Quote:
This is the worst I've seen, but it didn't happen in a vacuum. I've noticed a shockingly cavalier attitude about safety among new shooters over the last three years or so.

We can blame their parents, we can blame John Woo movies, we can blame video games or fatty foods. The cause is irrelevant. It falls to us to break the cycle. There is no excuse for any sort of safety violation, no matter how minor.

It's our responsibility to correct this behaviour.
Very true - I would imagine in this day and age of instant resets of video games, maybe they think they'll get a do-over.......it's not just guns - texting and driving etc., all show a blatant disregard for not only their own safety, but that of others around them.....
Old August 17, 2009, 01:04 PM   #19
Tru Trak

I expected to see a bunch of young punks in this video, but they are not young and should definitly have been taught better. Here in Daytona a group of 5 punks showed up with an AR 15 and a few hand guns. They were rowdy and I thought very unfamiliar with the guns and I moved away. The Range Master kept going down range during the cease fires and I didn't know why. When the guys left I walked over and asked him and he was really ******. He said he was sure they were doing something wrong but couldn't tell from his vantage point. Come to find out, they were firing at the newly replaced 6x6 posts holdig up the baffles with the 223 rounds. They are no longer allowed at the range. It really irritates me to see bad behavior and no disipline in people today but it really scares me when weapons are involved. I agree we need to correct this ourselves one person at a time if possible.
Old August 17, 2009, 01:17 PM   #20
ZeSpectre

Gaaaaa!
And I JUST posted this rant on vandalism.
Now I have to go find something to bring my blood pressure back down
Old August 17, 2009, 02:29 PM   #21
Farmland

I'm lucky and seldom have to go to a public type of range. The benefits of having your own range. It isn't hard to find the guy who posted the video, all the contact info can be found on his my space page. I will leave that up to the Georgia people to do what they want to do.

But that brings me to a question. Would you really of wanted to try and stop these guys in person? They have no regard for laws. Heck they thought it was fun to put a hole is a gas tank and dry around a what looked like an industrial park to empty the tank so they could junk the car.

With the amount of ammunition and the way they were acting I'm not sure you would of walked out of that range. I certainly don't think I would have made an attempt, however I would of got the plate off of his red SUV and turned it in.

While a good stiff fine would be punishment I doubt it will change their behavior. I'm not sure if any laws were broken that would take away their firearms. Though if the police collected them for a few months it might make what they did settle in a little faster.

I never like going to a public range by myself. When I do if a crowd like this came I would exit pretty fast. However I have seen some good club type ranges shot all the heck too. I know the state ranges in my state prohibited auto rifles and limit all hand guns to 6 shells only in the magazine.

In a way it would be nice to see this one make the local TV news in Georgia. They would find them all that way.
Old August 17, 2009, 02:54 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I just got the Gordon County detectives on the trail and they may need our help...

Their IT guy may not be able to capture this. If I can get a copy from someone here, I will pass it on.

Here is the link to them if anyone here knows the names of any, feel free to call detective Barnett [sp]
http://www.gordoncounty.org/Departme...epartment.aspx
Brent
Old August 17, 2009, 02:59 PM   #23
Farmland

Here is a good place to start, a lot of info on this page that could be good, note his SUV is on the page.

http://www.myspace.com/smokeys_automotive_help
Old August 17, 2009, 03:08 PM   #24
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

YEP! I just sent Det. Burnett the link as I had just searched it up on google! These goons ain't so bright!
If any of you wish... Det. Burnette's Direct email if you can send him a "ripped" version of the youtube vid.
[email protected]
Tell him Brent C. sent ya. And I also got him aware of us at TFL.
Brent
Old August 17, 2009, 03:15 PM   #25
IamHenryBowman

So much blatant disregard for safety. Stupid.