The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 26, 2009, 11:45 AM   #1
bow shot

Jetgo for bore cleaning

Anyone had experience using Jetgo to clean their rifle bore? Its a liquid wrench/pb-blaster/kroil type chemical. the local shooting supply place is selling it. Just curious.
Old August 30, 2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Tom2

What is their justification as selling it for that purpose, if it is not specifically made for that use? I would talk to the dealer and ask them for some more info on why they are selling it and who uses, what kind of results they claim for it etc. If they cannot give you a good answer, they might as well be selling Mazola oil for bore cleaning if they cannot explain the positive attributes.
Old August 31, 2009, 09:03 AM   #3
bow shot

right

they keep irregular hours, so I'm searching for advanced intelligence here until I can actually speak to someone there...
Old August 31, 2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Tom2

Are you sure you are not shopping for guns in Autozone? I just looked at the Penray website and I cannot imagine any of that stuff being gun products, unless you use the Jetgo Concentrated Motor Flush to get the old oil out of your pistols.
Old August 31, 2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

While you "can" use these types of products as a bore cleaner, be aware that most of them have no effect on copper fouling.

When you want to clean a gun bore, why not just use a bore solvent specifically designed to do the job?
Old September 1, 2009, 02:49 PM   #6
bow shot

cuz:

I've read on "which solvents are good" on this forum till my eyes bleed, and it seem that what is (are) magic for one user is cursed by another. So it catches my attention that here is this (very good) shop that has a very good reputation, and they sell this Jetgo stuff... and I've never heard of it in all my born days, never seen it in a shooters forum, anywhere period.

I'll stick with my Hoppes benchrest for now.

I'll call 'em again and see if any one picks up. I'll let you know.
Old September 1, 2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

No matter what you use, people will claim its no good, that their favorite is "better".

Its really hard to do better than Hoppe's for general bore cleaning. Its been around since 1903, and any problems have been fixed long ago.
It does just what it says it does and does it without any harm to the gun.
Not everything is better just because its newer.

And again, unless its been specifically formulated to remove copper fouling, it usually won't, which Kroil and other similar products don't do.
They do have their place but make sure its doing what you need.
If you want to clean moly or lead they are good, given time enough to work.
If you want to clean copper fouling, better use a copper cleaner like Hoppe's, which also does lead and carbon fouling.
Old September 2, 2009, 07:33 AM   #8
bow shot

Amen!
Old September 2, 2009, 09:56 AM   #9
bow shot

reply from the shop:

Owner says its similar to the other rust busters (liquid wrech, pb blaster, etc). No outrageous claims, or to be considered "the best", "amazing" or unique in any other manner. Just good stuff for its intended application.

This is why I love dealing with this fellow. Just the facts ma'am. Rare these days.