The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: How to refinish this 870??
Spray on DIY "duracoat" 3 20.00%
Send to gunsmith for real duracoat/rebluing/ceramakote, etc... 6 40.00%
Cold Blue DIY 0 0%
Leave that old soldier alone....... 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 5, 2009, 11:14 PM   #1
rantingredneck

What to do with the finish on my police trade in 870??

I got this KY State Police trade in 870 from Budsgunshop.com recently. It's about what I expected it would be, worn on the outside, pristine on the inside. The action bars show very little bluing wear, telling me this gun was carried a lot in the cruiser and fired very little. Will need to add some wear marks of my own there....

But the finish has "character". Check out the pics below......

This seems to be some sort of baked on finish like Duracoat or similar. Not sure if the PD did that from the get go, or whether they refinished this gun somewhere in it's history with them. Either way it's chipping and flaking in several areas, leaving unprotected metal beneath. I'm leaning toward stripping the reciever and barrel down and doing a DIY spray on finish from Brownell's or the like. Would like some opinions here.

In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter much as this gun will be a truck gun and the finish will just get worn again. I guess more than anything I want to refinish it just because I'm a tinkerer at heart. This would be the first DIY spray finish job I've ever done though......thoughts??

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old September 5, 2009, 11:21 PM   #2
hoytinak

I helped my father refinish his Parnder using Brownells Gun-Kote. It wasn't too hard, just make sure you do some good prep work. We only did it a couple months ago but it seems to be holding up pretty good. Plus you know you want a DIY job anyways.
Old September 5, 2009, 11:26 PM   #3
rantingredneck

A buddy of mine has done a couple of his 1911's with Gunkote. They seem to have held up. I may recruit his assistance here as he's had experience.

Old September 6, 2009, 12:09 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I seen no flaws in those pics... Look fine to me
Brent
Old September 6, 2009, 08:26 AM   #5
CGSteve8718

I like the experienced looking ones myself.

1) leave it as is
2) paint or moly or duracoat or whatever it's called over park
Old September 6, 2009, 08:56 AM   #6
dalecooper51

I would just leave it alone and use it as is. If I were to do something with it then I would get it parkerized and find a used set of police walnut and call it a day.
Old September 6, 2009, 08:57 AM   #7
Lee Lapin

If you're going to use it as a truck gun, a DIY refinish would be the best approach IMO. It needs to be protected, and there's no need to spend a ton'o'money on a working gun as far as I can see. If you DIY, you can re-do as needed over time.

Congrats on getting a good solid gun at a good price- now try to wear it out! 8^)

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 6, 2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Edward429451

Oh my God, look at that horrible horrible shotgun. It looks as if it may blow up with a real shell in it. You better let me take it off your hands for you for safety and preservation of your pride...

I'll even pay the shipping.

You could refinish it...but then you'd have to fawn over it with worry that you didn't scratch it. Or you could just call it a working gun and leave it alone, wherein you would not have to worry about it at all. Sometimes the best solution is the easiest one.
Old September 6, 2009, 11:54 AM   #9
rantingredneck

Lee, I've tried and failed repeatedly to wear out the several 870's that have come into my care.....

I'm leaning heavily toward the Gonkote DIY stuff from Brownell's.

Let me throw a wrinkle in here....

I've got an extra +2 Remington extension in the Bin O' 870 parts in my shop I'll probably top this off with. It's OD green from the factory. Should I do the barrel and reciever in OD to match the extension or do it all, extension included, in flat black.

Old September 6, 2009, 05:02 PM   #10
Lee Lapin

Whatever color or combination of colors you like would work fine. I'm not terribly excited about green shotguns, but it doesn't much matter, really. I'd leave the magazine tube where the forearm slides 'as is' though, were I you.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 6, 2009, 05:07 PM   #11
rantingredneck

Yeah, I don't want to add any extra finish thickness there and it would only get worn off anyway. I'm likely gonna do the flat black as I'm not too terribly big on green guns either. I just picked up this OD extension on one of the forums sometime back. Used it on one of my express guns for awhile, but it's been sitting in the parts bin for a bit. I put it on earlier today so my gun is currently two-toned .