The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 15, 2000, 07:34 AM   #1
Arrell

Anyone who has been following my Texas threads is aware of my upcoming move to the Lone Star State. Well, I'm leaving Monday morning, July 17th. Pray for my safety while making the drive as I will be pulling a 29ft travel trailer full of packed boxes. I figure it to be a three day jaunt, with about ten hours of driving a day. I may push it a little more to get down there faster. My wife already has the realtors scrambling. It's probably going to be the Woodlands for us. I can't believe the kind of value you can get on houses. It's unbelievable. Not what I'm used to on the East Coast. I'm turning around after a couple of days and driving back to MD and getting my family and the rest of my stuff.
Arrell
Old July 15, 2000, 07:54 AM   #2
CANIS

Best of luck to you! I'm a transplanted north easterner and have found this to be a great state to live in. Any state that is setting records for sending BG's of for their dirt nap has got to be a great place to live!
AND YOU CAN EASILY GET YOUR CCW

Chris
Old July 15, 2000, 11:22 AM   #3
SA Scott

Arrell:

Let me be the first to say:

HOWDY, Y'ALL!

SA Scott
Old July 15, 2000, 11:50 AM   #4
kjm

WTT (Y)

Welcome to TEXAS (y'all)
Old July 15, 2000, 01:39 PM   #5
Jeff OTMG

1. Welcome to Texas!!!
2. Don't mess with Texas (an anti-litter campaign)
3. Get a bumper sticker on your vehicle that says, 'I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could.'
4. Get your license plates changed, then you can get rid of the bumper sticker.
5. Read the 'hints' thread for people moving to Texas.
6. God bless Texas.
Old July 15, 2000, 03:32 PM   #6
Gopher

Welcome! Just remember you have to live here six months before you can get your CCW. Grab a Shiner and some BBQ and enjoy yourself.
Old July 15, 2000, 03:33 PM   #7
chadintex

Welcome to Texas and good luck to you.

------------------
Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans. Robert E. Lee

Beware the three D's: The dumb, drunk, and deranged.

[email protected]
Old July 15, 2000, 04:45 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ah, yes. Two things really scare Texans: A Catholic with a football, and a Yankee with a U-Haul.

:, Art

Welcome, anyway!
Old July 15, 2000, 06:54 PM   #9
Bulldog

Come on down! (if you must )

Let me be the first to offer you a

Hey Art: You're in Terlingua, aren't you? When's the next Chili Cookoff? We oughta set up a git-together down there. I'm sure there'll be plenty of chili and Shiner to go around for everyone...

------------------
¡Viva la RKBA!
Bulldawg: NRA, GOA, TSRA, Shiner Bock Connoisseur.
Bulldawg's Firearms Page
Old July 15, 2000, 08:37 PM   #10
Arrell

Hey Art, technicly Maryland is not a Northern (Yankee) state. It is below the Mason Dixon line, you know. I was born in the Old Dominion (Virginia), and I was named after Robert E. Lee (R. L., Arrell), careful who you call a Yankee, suh.

You Texans are really a friendly sort, can't wait to get down there, thanks for the encouragement. Arrell
Old July 15, 2000, 09:46 PM   #11
Texaken

Ya'll come on down Arrell, we got room.
Old July 15, 2000, 11:03 PM   #12
Jedi Oomodo

Wilkommen, Arrell!

Pay attention to what JeffOTMG said, and another bit of friendly advice- if one of us natives offers you food and says "It ain't hot", rest assured it will be like a nuclear explosion to your untrained palate!

As already mentioned, you must be here 6 mos before you can get your CHL, but once you meet that requirement, it's a breeze. Also, be aware that you will be required to surrender your MD driver's license to the DPS and get a TX license after 6 mos. Here, you cannot possess more than one valid DL.

Whereabouts are you lookin' to put down roots?

------------------
Pray as though it's all up to God, act as though it's all up to you.

If it isna Scottish, it's CRAP! RKBA!
Old July 15, 2000, 11:35 PM   #13
westex

Arrell
Don't forget to to get your passport stamped and visit the Alamo at least 3 times during the first year to stay current until your probation period is over.

Welcom ya'll.

RKBA!
Old July 16, 2000, 01:01 AM   #14
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Arrell & Jedi,

Re Texas Transportation Code 521.029
(bold for stress by Dennis)

(a) A person who enters this state as a new resident may operate a motor vehicle in this state for no more than 30 days after the date on which the person enters this state if the person:
(1) is 16 years of age or older; and
(2) has in the person's possession a driver's license issued to the person by the person's state or country of previous residence.
Old July 16, 2000, 01:53 AM   #15
mnealtx

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jedi Oomodo:

if one of us natives offers you food and says "It ain't hot", rest assured it will be like a nuclear explosion to your untrained palate!
[/quote]

Awww, c'mon Jedi...our food aint THAT hot...besides, by the time he's able to get his CCL he'll be acclimated to it...

------------------
Mike
[email protected]
Old July 16, 2000, 07:34 AM   #16
maxinquaye

He he I'll be joining you all about this time next year....hopefully Kali will slide off the continent as I cross the state line...

------------------
"Freedom is that instant between when someone tells you to do something and when you decide how to respond."
-Dr. Jeffrey Borenstein

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
-Martin Luther King Jr.
Old July 16, 2000, 01:19 PM   #17
Jeff OTMG

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arrell:
Hey Art, technicly Maryland is not a Northern (Yankee) state. It is below the Mason Dixon line, you know. I was born in the Old Dominion (Virginia), and I was named after Robert E. Lee (R. L., Arrell), careful who you call a Yankee, suh.
[/quote]

I hate to tell you this Arrell, but anything north of the the border across the top of Oklahoma (if you extend it coast to coast), or is west of Yuma, is considered a Yankee in Texas (some say north of the Red River but that would exclude our own panhandle).
Old July 16, 2000, 01:38 PM   #18
JHS

Arrell, when you get that need for very good food, very fine rodeo,great hunting and fishing,come to Oklahoma.

Ya'll in Baja Oklahoma have a nice day.
Old July 16, 2000, 04:54 PM   #19
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

(with a suprerior air of cowboy snobbery)

Now you see why we chopped off and gave away the bad parts.

(Lessee, Nomex undies, socks,.....)
Old July 16, 2000, 08:30 PM   #20
Keiller TN

Arrell, I wish you well on your trip. I hope you don't mind the heat. Texas is too hot for me, but I like the people. My wife was born in Waco. Her folks live in Marble Falls and my mom lives in Denton.
Old July 16, 2000, 08:46 PM   #21
Munro Williams

I think you're doing the right thing, Arrell, I'll probably be joining you in a couple of years.
Old July 16, 2000, 08:58 PM   #22
Zensho

Me too, if things keep going the way they are in CA. Best wishes on the move and keep us posted on how it goes.
Old July 16, 2000, 08:59 PM   #23
westex

Keillor TN
What heat? Hasn't been over 106 here all week. Highly recommend poly gripes on any thing carried next to your skin but other than that no problemos.

If God had intended people to live in Houston he would have air conditioned it and surrounded it with snow capped peaks. Or at least put the Shiner brewery there.

RKBA!
Old July 17, 2000, 12:25 AM   #24
Kevinw

Texas? Isn't that the really hot state with all the rednecks.. Who would want to live there. I would much rather live in California. Sandy beaches, beauti.... Uhh guys come on put down the weapons. I was kidding.. Guys... uuuuhh Guys.... Please don't hurt me..
help.......

(Disclaimer: this is a joke.. I love Texas. Would not mind living there but it is a bit hot for me.. I will more likely go to vermont.*grin* )
Old July 17, 2000, 01:18 AM   #25
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Interesting.

When the temp is officially 102 degrees in San Antonio, you can bet it's at least that!

We live 'bout 30 miles north of town and we haven't hit 100 yet. (not that I mind...)

The mornings are quite nice. My wife and daughter go hiking while I babysit my granddaughter.

By 10AM, it's getting too warm to be outside unless you're getting paid for it - or going shooting!