The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 5, 2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Servo77

Burris fullfield II vs Nikon buckmasters vs Bushnell 3200...

Which of the 3 lines would you choose and why? Seems like (from what I have read) that the burris is more rugged, but the nikon may have better glass. The bushnell is pretty well regarded too. All are roughly the same price.

What say you?
Old October 5, 2009, 09:58 AM   #2
sholling

Of those three I'd go with the 3200. The glass is at least as good as the other two plus it has Rainguard.

Did you have a power range in mind and price in mind? If It's 3-9x or 2.5-10x40 I'd shop sales online for a Bushnell Elite 4200. I've seen some in the $299-330 range lately. Check Natchez and SWFA.

Last edited by sholling; October 5, 2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old October 5, 2009, 10:30 AM   #3
ZeroJunk

I have had all three of them and I like the Burris better. But, there is very little difference between them and I'm not even sure why I like the Burris better.
Old October 5, 2009, 10:30 AM   #4
Water-Man

The Burris! I've had all three.
Old October 5, 2009, 12:20 PM   #5
mikejonestkd

I prefer the 3200 bushnell, mostly because I have several and have never had any probelms with them. Clear, bright, rugged, and hold their zero well. Rainguard helps too!!
Old October 5, 2009, 12:42 PM   #6
thinkingman

I have 2 Burris FFII's and they're very good, easy pick over Leupold VX-I.
I wouldn't buy another because the entire eyepiece turns when you adjust the power ring....
Only a problem if you use Butler Creek flip up caps in the woods.
I would shop for a 4200 or Nikon Team Primos for a few more shekels.
Old October 5, 2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Inspector3711

I ahve both the Bushnell 3200 and the Burris FFII. I prefer the Burris.
Old October 5, 2009, 05:41 PM   #8
LateNightFlight

I have both a Nikon Buckmaster and a Burris Fullfield II; I like them both and could go either way. I don't have any experience with the Bushnell 3200. Just to throw you a curve, (), 3 of the last 4 scopes I've bought have all come from this Natchezss Weaver page - if you thought you might like something decent for the money with a side focus and lighted reticle (in the 2.5-10X range.) : http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?brand=WE

It looks like most of those are currently out of stock, but they were out of stock when I first started looking and they do get them in. (Note: I wouldn't choose their German #4 reticle to shoot targets as their x-hairs are too heavy. But they're quick pointing and a good fit for a variety of hunting situations. And in the worst light you can turn on the lighted reticle.)

None of these are VX3s, Black Diamonds or some flavor of Nightforce, but they’re good, serviceable scopes that don’t come in a blister pack from isle 79. I think you’ll be happy with any of these choices.
Old October 6, 2009, 07:28 PM   #9
penceman

I'd spend $30 more and buy a Nikon Team Primos. I just put one on my Model 70 and the clarity is better than my Leupold VXII. From what I've heard the Team Primos is the exact same thing as the Nikon Monarch. When Nikon stopped making the Monarch in 3-9x40 they came out with the Team Primos line to continue it. Excellent scope for the money.
Old October 6, 2009, 07:54 PM   #10
sholling

+1 the Team Primos for $220.
Old October 6, 2009, 08:57 PM   #11
whiplash

I have the 3200 on my Barrett M99 50BMG (it came with it, so I didnt choose it), and it seems to be holding up so far. Its the fixed 10x mil dot. All the reticle adjustments have been accurate and reliable...
Old October 7, 2009, 03:19 AM   #12
aushunter

wow, bushnell 3200 on a 50 cal bmg!!

I would'nt think the bushnell scope would hold up to the recoil of the .50 cal!!
I have just bought my first bushnell 7-21x40ao for my CZ .17hmr..
Still yet to try it but I have 2 Leopolds(both VXII's) & found there light retention awesome so it will be a test for the bushnell.
Old October 7, 2009, 05:10 AM   #13
LanceOregon

You could get a really nice Nikon Monarch instead of any of these for just a little bit more money. The extra dollars would be more than well spent, as you would be moving into a whole new higher grade category of scope.

Bud's Gun Shop.com easily has the best prices anywhere on the Nikon Monarch scopes. Just go and compare some of these other scopes there.

Here are some comparisons for you from the Budsgunshop.com website:

Bushnell Elite 3200 Rifle Scope 4-12x40mm AO Matte: $262.00

Burris FullField II 3.5-10x50mm Riflescope w/Ballistic Plex Reticle: $358.00

NIKON MONARCH 2-10X42mm Nikoplex Matte: $332.00

The Nikon Monarch is well worth paying the small amount of extra money for. You would regret not getting it in the long run.

--
Old October 7, 2009, 07:32 PM   #14
cimarronvalley

Scope

Burris FFII or Pentax Pioneer both 4.5x14x42 (Pentax Pioneer glass is made by Burris but is $30-$50 less). American glass and assymbled in the Philippines.
Although I do love the side focus on the Buckmastser 4.5x14x40.

After years of experimenting with various scopes, these are 3 high quality scopes for the dollar. They maintain point of impact through the power ranges. I know all gun people hate them, but the best place to buy scopes is from Ebay.
Old October 7, 2009, 07:43 PM   #15
bamafan4life

there all about the same but id go with burris because of the forever warranty. and that b-plex reticle is pretty cool
Old October 7, 2009, 09:09 PM   #16
cimarronvalley

Scope

Burris FFII or Pentax Pioneer both 4.5x14x42 (Pentax Pioneer glass is made by Burris but is $30-$50 less). American glass and assymbled in the Philippines.
Although I do love the side focus on the Buckmastser 4.5x14x40.

After years of experimenting with various scopes, these are 3 high quality scopes for the dollar. They maintain point of impact through the power ranges. I know all gun people hate them, but the best place to buy scopes is from Ebay.