The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 23, 2009, 02:05 PM   #1
awpk03s

New Pistol: MetroArms (Firestorm) 1911

Recently I have been enjoying the heck out of my primary 1911 (Springfield Champion LW Operator), and I could not resist the pull to have another one. I have read very good things about the MetroArms models (includes Firestorm and American Classic) as well as Rock Island - and have also watched the prices steadily increase on them as well. So, I figured the time was ripe to act and buy one. I was torn between this gun and a RIA Tactical. The Firestorm was $50 cheaper, and has a nicer deeper blue finish on it (in my opinion) and the stock sights had dots on it, so I bought it. I added Trijicon NS to it, because, well - all my other pistols have them. Here are some pictures from the initial disassembly. One appears to have some gunk in the slide - it's just oil. I noticed it after the picture and was too lazy to take another picture after cleaning it out. It is not as tight as my Springer, but it does appear to be very well made and put together. I plan to add some grips from Sarge (www.thefinergrain.com) soon to complete the look. Very much looking forward to shooting and breaking it in so I can comment again with a range report on accuracy, function, reliability.

Old October 23, 2009, 02:06 PM   #2
awpk03s

Old October 23, 2009, 02:44 PM   #3
QBall45

Which Trijicon's did ya use? The Novak ones? I'd heard rumor that there may be an issue with the dovetails in the slide may or may not ne exact Novak specs. What can you tell me about this?

I've been busy stashing cash for one of these guns. I would like you, want to swap the sights for trijicons.
Old October 23, 2009, 02:53 PM   #4
doc540

good guns for the money

Old October 23, 2009, 04:38 PM   #5
awpk03s

The fitment of the Trijicon Novaks leaves a little bit to be desired. They are in there. And they're good and tight. But it's not like it was "meant to be". If I get negative results after shooting it I'll put the factory 3 dots back in it I guess.
Old October 23, 2009, 06:07 PM   #6
jon_in_wv

I handled one in the gun shop one day and honestly I was impressed with it. 1911s and I don't get along so its not for me but it looked like a winner to me.
Old October 23, 2009, 07:49 PM   #7
comn-cents

awpk03s very nice congrats, looking forward to your range report.
Old October 23, 2009, 07:53 PM   #8
David the Gnome

I think the major plus with those is that they are actually blued instead of parkarized like the RIA's are. The only thing I don't like about my RIA 1911's is the parkarized finish.
Old October 23, 2009, 08:34 PM   #9
hickorynut690

Just picked one up today. It's been raining to hard to get out and shoot it yet, hopefuly before the weekend is over.
Old October 23, 2009, 08:38 PM   #10
awpk03s

David- that's actually one of the real deciding factors for me with this one. The RIA had an ambi safety, and a beveled mag well, both of which I would have wanted, but I couldn't get past the parkerized finish...
Old October 23, 2009, 08:38 PM   #11
jon_in_wv

The one I handled has beautiful bluing. I'm a sucker for real polished bluing.
Old October 23, 2009, 11:23 PM   #12
michael t

I enjoy my American classic Has been reliable right from box Never missed a beat For the money they can't be beat.
Many of us at Bersatalk have them and all agree best bang for the buck
Old October 24, 2009, 01:51 AM   #13
bdb benzino

I have one, and can not say enough how good these 1911's are for the money!! Mine has been flawless for over 600 rounds and the slide feels like it's on ball berrings. I have an older Springfeild loaded 5'' 1911 that rocks but the Metro is as tight and seems to be as good finished. Now I know there was a thousand or two through my Springer before I got her but dang, for $450 the Metro is really outstaning. Its funny Cause I find myself babying a sub $500 pistol because of the beautiful blueing.
I was also considering getting a second Metro for making a project pistol, I believe it would be kinda worth it because the slide is rumored to be forged and would seem to be a decent base.
I have heard the reason for the outstanding quality of Metro Arms pistols can be attributed in part to a big wig from STI coming over to Metro and calling some shots. It would seem to make sense between the cheaper cost to manufacture goods in the PI and having a reputable smith or QC guy come from a nationaly respected company would do the trick to make a great product cheap.
Old October 31, 2009, 10:52 AM   #14
QBall45

I looked at a ria tactical last night. He wants $469.99. Looks good, may end up buying it. My only concern is the all black sights. My Champion has Trijicons & I think I'd want to change em out.