The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 12, 2010, 01:08 PM   #26
jimbob86

Silly Me..... thinking I'll never have a use for an accurate semi-auto carbine that eats the most common cartridge in North America....... that is used in 3-Gun and military rifle matches all over the place.

A .50 DE? Not so much. Ammo made of 50% Hypetanium and 50% Unobtainium....... that is used in...... well........... trying to impress your friends with the size of your......... what, exactly?
Old January 12, 2010, 01:12 PM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Silly Me..... thinking I'll never have a use for an accurate semi-auto carbine that eats the most common cartridge in North America....... that is used in 3-Gun and military rifle matches all over the place.
None of which matters one lick to me.

See what I mean? Your positive opinion matters not. The AR has no use for me, certainly no use that I can not fill with something a lot less ugly.

Quote:
A .50 DE? Not so much. Ammo made of 50% Hypetanium and 50% Unobtainium....... that is used in...... well........... trying to impress your friends with the size of your......... what, exactly?
It's called a reloading press, and it converts unavailable ammo into instant availability.

The DE is an excellent hunting gun. It serves a purpose that matters to me.

I love how the detractors of anything large or powerful are always correlating the appreciation thereof with deficiencies in male appendages. Juvenile at best.
Old January 12, 2010, 03:18 PM   #28
Nydhog502

I'd much rather own my desert eagle then an AR. At least on the scale of practicality, seeing as I will never shoot in a match, I can put the Desert Eagle in my glove box. Or open carry it. If I open carried an AR people would be a little upset.
Quote:
It's called a reloading press, and it converts unavailable ammo into instant availability.

The DE is an excellent hunting gun. It serves a purpose that matters to me.

I love how the detractors of anything large or powerful are always correlating the appreciation thereof with deficiencies in male appendages. Juvenile at best.
Precisely the reason I'm going to star reloading for all my guns. I've noticed that too. Apparently the size of a gun has to do with the size of your compensation for something. If this is the case, I wonder why he needs an AR.... (I am completely kidding with that by the way)
Old January 12, 2010, 03:36 PM   #29
WoofersInc

No hate from me on the Desert Eagle. I bought one back in the 80's in 44 Mag. Sold it to purchase a motorcycle. I now have one in 50 AE. One of these days I need to get the 44 Mag barrel for it. I love having this gun. I bought it just for the fun factor. Always draws a crowd when I shoot it.
Old January 12, 2010, 03:48 PM   #30
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I just hate people calling em Deagle's-- W*T*F*? Does that go with your beagle??

Otherwise---just a lot of money to have wrapped up into something you can't carry.
-------Metallica
Old January 12, 2010, 04:15 PM   #31
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Otherwise---just a lot of money to have wrapped up into something you can't carry.
They aren't cheap, for sure.

On the other hand, how many people have $1000+ rifles with $600+ optics that gets used for a few hours a day, 2 months or less out of the year and sometimes fired at nothing except paper, and then only 10 or so times a year?

I know a lot of guys like that. A gun that's $1500 or so new and can be had for around $800 used really doesn't seem so far out of line when you look at it like that.
Old January 12, 2010, 04:17 PM   #32
Que

My .44 Magnum Mark VII makes me grin when I shoot it. That's enough for me. What anyone else thinks is their business.

BTW, for the record, I'm not a gamer although I did have an Atari back in the Seventies. Pong anyone?

Last edited by Que; January 12, 2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old January 12, 2010, 04:57 PM   #33
Drummer101

I would like to have one or shoot one but there are other choices that would come first.
Old January 12, 2010, 05:18 PM   #34
Dodge DeBoulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que
My .44 Magnum Mark VII makes me grin when I shoot it. That's enough for me. What anyone else thinks is their business.

BTW, for the record, I'm not a gamer although I did have an Atari back in the Seventies. Pong anyone?
Hey, I bet a Pong console blows up real good when hit by a .44 mag.
Old January 12, 2010, 06:17 PM   #35
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Pong anyone?
Why, certainly NOT!:barf: Mine is a Super Pong. Actually, I'm waiting to see if the Smithsonian needs it.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:09 PM   #36
Nydhog502

Atari is still a good system.... I really do wanna shoot one now.
Old January 12, 2010, 09:02 PM   #37
Expypate

I recently bought the 50AE because I wanted one since they came out. I also just got a S&W 500. I don't hunt and probably never will. I bought them because they are big and brutal to shoot. I have all the other guns I wanted and they were next on the list. It might sound like a waste to some people, but that's o.k. Spending $1000.00+ on a hunting rifle and scope is a waste to me. Just depends on what you want out or the hobby.
Old January 12, 2010, 09:25 PM   #38
P99AS9

Yes, I'm an adult and yes, I play my sons Call of Duty games but I don't see the big deal with the Desert Eagle. It makes one hell of a paperweight though. What really makes me angry is when people start calling it the "Deagle" :barf:.
Old January 12, 2010, 09:26 PM   #39
HisSoldier

First, I've noticed a lot of info about guns in a "Gun and Game" website. I guess I don't understand what kind of games are being mentioned, what's with that? What do "games" have to do with real guns? What kind of games are they?

Comparing a DE to an AR seems funny to me, lots of aluminum and plastic in the AR, the DE is all steel. I'd much rather have a Desert Eagle.

The truth is most of my guns are used for range toys, so in that arena the DE is as legitimate as my 1911's are. Once I have to hide it, or carry it very far things start to changed a bit as far as practicality goes.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old January 12, 2010, 09:56 PM   #40
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Hunter
.....Huntin? definatly would take it huntin cause i dont think ive ever herd anyone say i shot a deer/hog with a desert eagle. I like em!!
Have taken Antelope out to 200 yards, Mulies, and Whitetails. Now you can say you've heard of someone that shot something with a Desert Eagle. Concealed carry....too big for my tastes, besides I can afford other guns for that duty.

Old January 12, 2010, 10:17 PM   #41
stantonizm

I think in the game Counterstrike, the Desert Eagle was called the Deagle when you selected it from the menu. That might be where that came from. That's a pretty one Rembrandt. I could go for one like that.
Old January 12, 2010, 10:24 PM   #42
Chaz88

Looks like the long barrel and bi-pod would make it a good hunting / silhouette gun. But have to say it uglies up a pretty gun.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:31 PM   #43
jimbob86

Quote:
.....ummmm .......errrrrr........ 'cuz those .50 jacketed pistol bullets are sooooo ........ ubiquitous? Can't seem to swing a cat without knockin' a stack of 'em over......... or NOT.

I have reloaded for years, and anytime you NEED a particular component, all the local places will be out of it....... and the less common/more oddball it is, the longer it will take to get it restocked, and the higher the price will be.

Shoot what you want ...... it's your money.
Old January 13, 2010, 11:15 AM   #44
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86
I have reloaded for years, and anytime you NEED a particular component, all the local places will be out of it....... and the less common/more oddball it is, the longer it will take to get it restocked, and the higher the price will be.

I
N
T
E
R
N
E
T

Quote:
Shoot what you want ...... it's your money.
I agree, and so does the OP. Hence, the question. Why the hate?

You obviously don't have the neutral opinion that you are suddenly suggesting:

Quote:
...trying to impress your friends with the size of your......... what, exactly?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by =jimbob86
...I could sell it to one of those fanboys and finance the purchase of something useful,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by =jimbob86
...'cuz they are as practical as a football bat?...
So? Why the hate? You say that you don't hate them, and as a technical definition of the word it certainly is silly to "hate" an inanimate object. In real world terms however, you certainly have a negative opinion and have no trouble disparaging those with the audacity to find the DE useful and/or fun.

So, why?
Old January 13, 2010, 11:45 AM   #45
aarondhgraham

I don't hate it,,,

But it is a weapon that was made without a specific "need" to satisfy,,,
My friend has one and he always call it his "Insane" pistol,,,
His thinking is you have to be insane to want one.

But I do know a man who hunts pig in Northern California with one,,,
But then again I know another guy who hunts the same animals with a spear.

It's such an enormous handgun that it's practical uses (for the masses) are limited,,,
I get the same kind of comments on my S&W 629 .44 Magnum though,,,
People ask me "Why have such a huge hand cannon?",,,
I answer, "This is the U.S.A., I just wanted one".

Personally I am glad that something that big is made and sold,,,
Now not that many people keep ragging me on my 629.

No hate for the Desert Eagle,,,
Just no use for the danged thing.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 13, 2010, 12:05 PM   #46
JackL

No hate here. It even looks cool, in a bling-bling sort of way, but I can tell just by eyeballing the thing that I wouldn't be able to shoot it worth spraints. This busts it down to decorative status as far as I'm concerned.

On the other hand, if you can hit with it and it functions reliably enough for you, then more power to ya. The more Desert Eagles MRI can sell, the more money they'll have available to develop things I might find shootable.

Oh, and wasn't Deagle the guy who Gollum killed before he was even Gollum?
Old January 13, 2010, 02:29 PM   #47
Hook686

I think this is definately a personal preference object. I have large hands. I also shoot a S&W 629 Classic 6-1/2" barrel. The DE is 1-1/2 pounds heavier. The DE shoots 25 rounds in the time it takes me to shoot 12 in the S&W 629. In the outback I carry the S&W 629 in a shoulder holster, or the DE in a hip holster, or bandoleer holster.

DE, or S&W 629 ? I like them both and find each useful in its own way. However for simply funfactor, I rate the DE well above the S&W 629. I just smile when I shoot the thing.

If you don't like the DE, or don't think they are practcal, then don't buy one.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 13, 2010, 02:45 PM   #48
Skans

Quote:
The last 4 auctions on GunBroker for the Mark VII in .44 magnum went for $750-800
Ouch! I bought my XIX .44 DE new for less than $800, but that was a number of years ago.

It's a fun gun! I'd have no problem using this gun for home defense, in fact, at times I have swapped it out for my Glock 17 for home defense. Not all guns need to be made for concealed carry.

If you ever shoot bowling pins, it's really good for that too. The Desert Eagle is a well made gun - the gas operated rotating bolt is plus, not a negative as it makes for a very accurate pistol with mild recoil.

For 90% of the folks who purchase a semi-auto AR15, it is at least, if not more, impractical than a Desert Eagle. IMHO, there is a huge tactical difference between a full-auto / burst M16 and a semi-auto AR15. Unless you are shooting prarie dogs, I see no practical purpose for an AR15. At least the Desert Eagle actually can make a very good home defense weapon or even a good hunting pistol.
Old January 13, 2010, 04:14 PM   #49
Nydhog502

Quote:
Oh, and wasn't Deagle the guy who Gollum killed before he was even Gollum?
LMAO I never put two and two together but yes. Deagol was the guy Smeagol killed for the ring. Shines a new light on that term and I will laugh here on out when I hear it. Thanks lol.

@Rembrant: What type of scope is that? I'm going to be using mine for Deer hunting as well and am looking for a nice scope to use. And how much modification was required to put that bipod on?

@Peetza: I wouldn't bother man. Clearly he's anti-Desert Eagle and nothing you say is going to change his mind. I was able to find reloading supplies with a very short backorder time on Midway. Which just goes to show: Order in bulk.
Old January 13, 2010, 06:58 PM   #50
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nydhog502
....Rembrant: What type of scope is that? I'm going to be using mine for Deer hunting as well and am looking for a nice scope to use. And how much modification was required to put that bipod on?
Scope is a 4X Burris pistol scope on the factory DE mount. The bipod is attached to an custom made sling mount added to the bottom of the 14" barrel. Barrels and slide were refinished in black chrome, frame is stainless steel.