The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 14, 2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Sulaco2

New 4.6mm PDW in China?

Well size does matter. The Communist Chinese People’s Army has developed and built for general issue to the Army and most likely the “Anti Terror” domestic police (Chinese SWAT) a sub machine gun size PDW (Personal Defense Weapon) based on a 4.6x30mm round. The weapon a variant on the Type 79 PDW, caliber 7.62x25 weighing 3.6 lbs, 13.4 inches long (closed telescoping stock) and 21.2 inches with stock extended, a 30 round “dual stack” magazine and reportedly 4-600 round per minute rate of fire from a gas operated closed bolt. Picantinny rail on top for sights and glass.

Reportedly the rounds are about ½ the weight (per round) of an American 5.56mm and are most lethal at the burst rating and short range. The report I saw says the rounds are not supposed to punch through walls etc, with “less chance of unintended casualties”.
No information on what type of engineering went into the rounds themselves, i.e. hollow point or sub engineering soft point etc. I will be interested to see pictures if the ChiComs allow them out of the country.

Anybody see anything else about this?
Old January 14, 2010, 07:37 PM   #2
MTT TL

I wonder if they paid H&K for the copyrights on the 4.6mm and the MP7 or they just stole it like they steal everything else?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_MP7
Old January 15, 2010, 09:35 AM   #3
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
copyrights on the 4.6mm
Copy rights basicaly relate to a written work or piece of art.
Trademark relates to a symbol or brand.
Patent refers to an items design.
I don't know if you meant patent or trademark. I am not sure they could patent the round, and if they did they almost certainly could not patent the chambering. Maybe I am wrong.
I guess they could trademark the cartridges name, although I don't know of this being done.

I am not a lawyer and maybe all of that is wrong. Someone will correct me if so
Old January 16, 2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Falcon5NZ

Thanks to jonnyc this is under discussion on the IAA forum here
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.

Pro-1080 Poison and proud of it!!