The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 1, 2000, 06:48 PM   #1
bestdefense357

http://www.sptimes.com/News/092700/C...turns_in.shtml
Old October 1, 2000, 06:58 PM   #2
Jim V

Robert, did the sword weilder die? It is not mentioned in the news article. Perhaps the pawn shop owner should buy the .357 and sell his .25. Granted, he "won" but at what price?

------------------
"If there be treachery, let there be jihad."
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Old October 1, 2000, 07:00 PM   #3
Mike in VA

details to follow:
Gun purchase turns into a sword attack -
Police say a man went into a Crystal River pawnshop to pick up the gun he bought days before, then stabbed the owner. The owner shot his attacker, and both are hospitalized.
By BILL VARIAN

© St. Petersburg Times, published September 27, 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Times photo: Steve Hasel]
Crystal RIver police Detective Corey Sharpe holds the weapon Tuesday that police say was used by an assailant to stab Dave Phillips through the midsection in his shop, Crazy Dave's A-1 Pawn & Jewelry.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRYSTAL RIVER -- When Kevin Fitzsimmons purchased a handgun at a pawnshop here Thursday, the store owner told him he'd have to wait a state-required three days to pick it up.

Police say Fitzsimmons, 25, arrived at Crazy Dave's A-1 Pawn & Jewelry on the scheduled pickup day Tuesday with a sword and stabbed store owner Dave Phillips through the midsection. Phillips retreated to a rear room of the pawnshop where he grabbed a pistol of his own and shot Fitzsimmons at least once in the head, said Crystal River police Chief Jim Farley.

Both men were flown to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa where they were listed in critical condition Tuesday evening.

"It could be a crazy person. Could be a robbery," Farley said.

Crystal River Sgt. Mike Klyap said both men suffered serious injuries.

Much of what police know about the attack comes from Phillips, 49, of Crystal River, who was conscious and talking when investigators arrived. He reportedly called in the attack to 911 shortly before 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, applying pressure to his wounds as he waited for police to arrive.

He told detectives that Fitzsimmons had been in the store last week attempting to purchase a gun. Phillips reportedly told officers that he informed Fitzsimmons he would have to return in three working days under state law to pick up the handgun.

Investigators recovered a credit card receipt at the scene for the purchase on Thursday of a .357-Magnum handgun by Fitzsimmons.

Phillips told officers that Fitzsimmons showed up at the store at 1925 U.S. 19 Tuesday morning in a tan Chevrolet Astro van. He parked next door at Strickland Funeral Home & Crematory and reportedly waited in the vehicle.

Klyap said that Fitzsimmons walked into the store shortly after the lunch hour and confronted Phillips near the front counter holding a samurai-styled sword nearly 3 feet long.

"We believe he would have walked in with it (the sword)," Klyap said. No other swords like it were found by investigators inside the pawnshop, he said.

Phillips is thought to have retreated to a rear room at the south side of the building. There detectives found a puncture mark in a door leading to the room that they think was caused by the sword.

Farley said that Phillips located a .25-caliber handgun and fired an undetermined number of shots, striking Fitzsimmons at least once in the head. He then called 911.

The first police arriving at the scene encountered three young people at the door. Phillips came out of the store, leaving a trail of blood, and told the officers they weren't involved.

Prosecutors from the state attorney's office were summoned to consult in the investigation.

Investigators still were trying to confirm the residence of Fitzsimmons at press time Tuesday. They think he lives in Citrus County, possibly in Lecanto. He was arrested Aug. 7 for misdemeanor battery by Crystal River police, pleaded no contest and was found guilty later that month, according to Florida Department of Law Enforcement records.

Phillips is the husband of Jane Phillips, a supervisor in the Property Appraiser's Office in Crystal River.
Old October 1, 2000, 07:03 PM   #4
Oatka

Deleted - Mike in VA got it. Great minds think alike.

[This message has been edited by Oatka (edited October 01, 2000).]
Old October 1, 2000, 07:43 PM   #5
bestdefense357

Jim,

In an update the next day, the newspaper reported that the ninja-guy died and the shopowner was upgraded to fair condition. I'll try to find the article and post it.
Robert
Old October 1, 2000, 07:52 PM   #6
bestdefense357

Here's the follow-up article.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/florida/MGAN6IPOODC.html
Old October 1, 2000, 09:41 PM   #7
Eric of IN

Sep 28, 2000 - 01:07 PM

Man Shot in Sword Attack at Crystal River Pawn Dies of Wound
The Associated Press

CRYSTAL RIVER, Fla. (AP) - A man who attacked a pawn shop owner with a samurai sword during an argument died from a gunshot he received during the confrontation.
Kevin Fitzsimmons, 25, of Lecanto, died at St. Joseph's Hospital Wednesday, a day after he being shot in the head at A-1 Pawn and Jewelry.

Owner Dave Phillips, 49, of Crystal River was in fair condition Thursday at St. Joseph's Hospital with a stab wound in the chest.

According to Police Sgt. Mike Klyap, Fitzsimmons went to the store to pick up a handgun he bought last week. Phillips told police that Fitzsimmons was acting strangely and he didn't want to give him the gun, Klyap said Wednesday.

Fitzsimmons got angry, told Phillips he was a "ninja," and walked outside to his car. He returned swinging a samurai sword, Klyap said.

Fitzsimmons stabbed Phillips, who retreated to a back room and shot Fitzsimmons when he followed, Klyap said.

Police found a ninja outfit in Fitzsimmons' car.

Old October 1, 2000, 11:52 PM   #8
TexasVet

Never bring a knife (however long) to a gunfight. Dumb!

------------------
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
68-70
true story, a Union Gen. once said "Don't worry about those Rebs. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..SPLAT.
Old October 2, 2000, 02:15 AM   #9
cm

for those of you that might read news groups and read rec.guns, the pawn shop owner is a person who frequently posted by the name of filmflam on that news group.

from information from postings on the news group, fitzsimmons may have been stalking someone, and had delusions that he was a ninja. martial arts supplies and a ninja costume were found in the van.

philips apparently was suspicious of fitzsimmons actions when he entered the shop, and was reluctant to give him the .357 that he had bought. the man became angry, and obtained a samari sword and began attacking phillips. phillips was had a glock near him, but with the initial attack, he was knocked to the floor, out of reach of the glock. he began to retreat, in the process, was struck and stabbed several times. he retreated to a backroom, and picked up another firearm to defend himself, but it was unloaded. he finally remembered he was carrying a .25 cal gun in his pocket, and fired 4 shots at fitzsimmons, ending the attack.

phillips is currently (as of post from sept 28 - it looks like he may be in a room now) in the ICU unit of St. Joseph's hospital in Tampa recovering from his injuries.

the above information is a condensced summary of what has been posted in the news group about what happened. (initially there was a lot of post on why anyone would defend themselves with a .25 cal, but as it turns out, phillips didn't have anything bigger readily available).
Old October 2, 2000, 03:34 AM   #10
Jorge

I hardly think this guy qualifies as a "Ninja."
Old October 2, 2000, 04:54 AM   #11
hube1236
Registration in progress

So, did the loser actually pass the check?
Old October 2, 2000, 04:41 PM   #12
eeniii

Hube, how ya doing? (madison) Yeah, I bet he did and now the anti's will use that statistic to show the Brady isn't working and now we need to have a stricter law or ban. It is the reason for the latest assault on the Brady by anti's, which really threw me off until I got the NRA mag this week. It's funny that the law they endorsed so whole heartedly is now not the darling it was just a few months before. I could of swore that I heard Billy C say that the Brady was soo effective a few months ago. Now it isn't. Hmmmm what to believe.
Old October 2, 2000, 07:22 PM   #13
Willy

But I thought that a .25 wouldn't hurt anyone?

Any gun is better than no gun.
Old October 2, 2000, 07:32 PM   #14
Dr_Johnson

Here is a post with Flim Flam's
perspective. That was posted on
rec.gun.

http://x57.deja.com/threadmsg_ct.xp?AN=676114541.1&mhitnum=65&CONTEXT=970533306.1016 856595

Subject: Re: Owner attacked (Very important)please read
Date: 10/01/2000
Author: R.M.R. <[email protected]>

<< previous in thread · next in thread >>

Just got off the phone with FlimFlam.(813-870-4000 room 511)Talked with him for about a half hour and he sounded very good.He told me the story and the details of it I'll leave up to him but the reason for the 25 was as this guy came in and stabbed him he was sitting down,His Glock next to him on the desk,his chair had wheels and as he pushed back,he pushed so hard he fell out of the chair and couldn't get to his Glock because he was on the floor.The guy didn't only stab him he but beat him with the butt of the sword.Dave wanted space between the two and went to his back room as the fight went on and grabbed a peace but it wasn't loaded.At this time it was pretty hand to sword combat and the guy was down and come up and stuck him again,in the lower stomach out his buttocks cutting his colin,A
through
and through.Dave pulled the sword out of himself.At that time he realized he had his Beretta 25 in his pocket (ball ammo) and fired 4 shots in his head.He went down and yes died.This was very emotional for me and I think I need a beer now but Dave sounded good and when I told him of the concern in the group he just said WHY.He's a pretty humble person when you get to talk to him one on one.He was very appreciated of the concern on this NG and said thank you all very much.This nutcase has been under investigation for 2 months because he had this thing for a local weather tv channel lady.His van was loaded with .357 ammo and ninja clothes and swords.The police assume Dave was his jumping off point for something bigger.At FlimFlams expense he did a public service and took him out.Got to get that beer now.Thanks for listening.PS he said the nurses are real pretty and treat him real good and should be leaving there the middle of next week if everything checks out good but he's going to be laid up for a long time....Thanks again
Ray,
(SI vis pacem,
para bellum)

[This message has been edited by Dr_Johnson (edited October 02, 2000).]
Old October 2, 2000, 11:30 PM   #15
PreserveFreedom

If this guy went berzerk with a sword, I would hate to see him with a gun.

Old October 4, 2000, 12:10 AM   #16
Mort

"Knife vs. gun" jibes aside, this dude is really lucky that the other guy didn't know how to use his sword. You can thrust with that kind of sword, sure, but that's not really what it's for. It's a slashing weapon--the most efficient and deadly ever made. If the guy had come in slashing rather than stabbing, the pawnshop owner would probably be missing some critical bodily items.
Old October 4, 2000, 10:16 PM   #17
fubsy

fyi,

I talked to Dave this evening and he is going home tomorrow.....He is somewhat surprised at the attention this incident has had on the web.
Dave asked me to relay that he will in a few days post something about it. So far what I have read is essentially accurate about the events that occured in his shop.
....fubsy......