The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 1, 2010, 06:36 AM   #1
Fearless222

Taurus Mod 66 (4 inch) Vs Taurus 608 (4 inch)

Hi, this is my first post so please bear with me. I'm looking to buy either the Taurus Mod 66 (4 inch) or the Taurus 608 (4 inch). I've used the forum search function and come up with 2 threads on similar comparisons but they don't answer my following queries:

1. How do both pistols group at 15-25 yards?

2. Can anyone refer me to some chronograph data regarding how much velocity I would lose going with the ported 608 (4 inches) as compared with the unported Mod 66 (4 inches)?

3. Any input would be welcome from users with trigger time on both pistols, but in case you own either one of them you are more than welcome to post your personal experiece with it.

I plan to use the pistol for mainly Range use, maybe a bit of hunting (hogs) or carry it once in a blue moon (I mostly carry a Glock 26 or Glock 19 for CCW, and am quite pleased with this setup).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Fearless222; June 1, 2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old June 1, 2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Qwiks draw

Welcome to the forum.

I do have one recommendation.

Go to www.taurusarmed.net and ask them that question over there.

Use it as a resource.

There are a lot of 608 and 66 owners over there and a larger concentration of them than over here.

There are some 608 or 66 owners here, but not that many that have both here.

I own 2 model 66s. One 20+years old and the other is just a few years old. I do not hunt hogs, but from the cosensus from the archvies from" over there", the 608 or Taurus 627 would be more appropriate for normal handgun hunting though plenty of people use their 66 for hunting.

There are a lot of pig hunters over there that could be of help.

I do not hunt pigs or large game with a revolver.

All I can tell you is that my 4 inch 66s both are giving sterling service. Lockup is tight on both, no end play, and cylinder alignment is excellent.

The 66 has shown itself to be very accurate out to 50 yards with many of the owners.
Old June 1, 2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Fearless222

Qwiks draw Thanks for the suggestion, I'll follow your advice and give taurusarmed.net a shot
Old June 3, 2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Qwiks draw

Your welcome. It's either that or I inundate you with dozens of links referring to each model. From here and there.
Old June 4, 2010, 01:24 AM   #5
Elvishead

I can only speak for the 608 4" as I owned one before selling it to my brother.

It had a pretty nice trigger, I bought a lighter hammer spring for a lighter trigger pull but, it really didn't need it. Very accurite.

TBS, I think the barrel is more like 4.5" with the porting, but I could be wrong.

Overall seem like a nice gun, but I updated to a S&W when I had more money.
Old June 4, 2010, 10:49 AM   #6
bikerbill

Might also do a search here for Taurus revolvers; there are tons of issues with QC at Taurus ... I have owned an 85 for about 15 years with no problems whatsoever; had to spend $85 with a 'smith to get my 617 running ... you might be lucky, or you might want to hold off and save the extra dough for a Smith or Ruger ...
Old June 4, 2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Doodlebugger45

One of my best shooting buddies bought a model 66 a couple years ago. He has the 6" barrel and has put a few thousand rounds through it. I've shot it several times and I'm impressed with the accuracy. I'm not familiar with the 608. For hunting purposes I would hate to be shooting a ported gun though. Just too loud because you don't typically wear hearing protection while hunting hogs.

A lot of folks talk about Taurus QC problems. While that is true, it seems more prevalent on certain models. I notice that the model 66 doesn't seem to be in that category.
Old June 5, 2010, 02:44 AM   #8
Elvishead

One other note, I put 3000 trouble free rounds through it (608), most factory .357S