The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 24, 2001, 11:21 PM   #1
Lightsped

Anyone have any idea if hollow point rounds are legal in the State of Georgia? What makes a round legal or illegal?

Thanks
Old March 24, 2001, 11:32 PM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Hollowpoint bullets are very much legal in the state of Georgia.
Old March 24, 2001, 11:51 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Tied in with the gobbledegook and nonsense about "Cop Killer" bullets, the feds banned steel-cored pistol bullets. Since this is federal law and applies nationwide, any bullet or cartridge which is sold through normal channels is "by definition" legal.

Hope this helps,

Art
Old March 25, 2001, 10:56 PM   #4
papercut

Yes

I carry a full load of them and occasionally a spare mag as well. Every gun store in Georgia that I've been to sells them; if they were illegal, the stores wouldn't sell them for long!
Old March 25, 2001, 11:03 PM   #5
WalterGAII

Jestly you sure!
Old March 26, 2001, 03:26 PM   #6
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

The only state I know of that bans hollow points is New Jersey.

Any commie states?
Old March 26, 2001, 03:51 PM   #7
Gravity

Oh, I'm sure here in NY they're looking into it at some point.
Old March 26, 2001, 06:56 PM   #8
RH

Note to all:

Never assume that:

- a state law cannot supercede a federal law
- if they sell it stores, it must be legal

To whit:

Regardless of what federal law says, and the fact that every gunstore (where you can find one, but that's another story) sells them, hollowpoints have some mythical supernatural danger associated with them in NJ such that they are more controlled than illicit drugs.

-You can buy them, you can range shoot them, you can posess them in your home, and you can carry them from the store to your home or the range.

-You CANNOT, carry them on your person (nor can you get a CCW, again, another story)
- you CANNOT shoot someone with them, even if that person breaks down your door in the middle of the night.

So, to the question "is a hollow point legal in NJ ?", the answer would be "It depends on what the meaning of "is" is."
Old March 26, 2001, 09:43 PM   #9
geegee

ArmySon :"The only state that bans them is New Jersey".

Thanks for reminding me of a program I was watching the other night. I believe it was on The Learning Channel (TLC), and the show followed a group of LEO's around one evening, well, sorta like "COPS". At one point, the lead cop being filmed pulls over a car of suspects. The driver had a pistol hidden between his legs. After the conclusion of the arrest (where the cop is talking to the camera), he shows a handful of bullets to the camera and says "Look at these...hollowpoints...COP KILLER BULLETS-they'll penetrate a bullet-proof vest."

I thought man, where is this guy coming from? But come to think of it, the show was being filmed in Newark, NJ. Now it's beginning to make sense. Regards, geegee.
Old March 26, 2001, 11:42 PM   #10
bastiat

Being neither a ballistics expert or mall ninja, I don't know everything I need to know about hollow points.

Regarding the post about the NJ LEO stating that hollow points would penetrate body armor, wouldn't they do just the opposite, ie, get less penetration because they fan out quickly as they move through layers of kevlar? So a hollow point VS Kevlar could pontentially be less deadly than a FMJ projectile that isn't designed to produce the expansion of HP's?

And another small question: Do the hollow noses create a less aerodynamic bullet, meaning a reduction in FPS?
Old March 26, 2001, 11:49 PM   #11
Coronach

A question I can answer!

No.

Flight time for pistol rounds is so short that aerodynamic effects are very small. Not completely irrelevent, but very small. Its kinda like being hit by a train doing 90 mph vs. one doing 89 mph- in the final analysis, you still got hit by a train.

Mike

PS Ballistics experts, correct at will!

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein