The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 9, 2000, 02:44 PM   #1
cplane

I have been reading a lot of bad reports on the P111, but I wound up with one (they were out of the kel-tec) and it seems (so far) to be a fine little carry piece. Granted the trigger is rough, and it ain't my beretta 92 for accuracy. It carrys good and so far , it hasn't jammed or misfired. I also like the second strike capabilities which is something a lot of autos don't have. I know I am opening myself up to some Taurus bashing here, but I thought ya'll might need to know they made at least one that shoots -well - How does O.K. sound! Have a Day-C.L.

[This message has been edited by cplane (edited July 09, 2000).]
Old July 9, 2000, 05:33 PM   #2
Claemore70

I liked mine except for the damn thing broke on me. Watch out for the disassembly latch, that's what broke on me. Then it took me a few months to get one back from Taurus.

------------------
"Vote with a Bullet."
Old July 10, 2000, 10:14 AM   #3
ScottS

Went shooting this weekend, and a buddy brought his PT-111. Neat little gun size-wise, but I was ASTOUNDED with how rough and heavy the trigger pull was. I GUESS this is acceptable in a close-range carry pistol, but I sure wouldn't want to shoot it very often--like often enough to be good with it or ensure it was 100% reliable. Just wasn't fun. I thought maybe Wolff might make a replacement spring to help out, but no such luck. Very surprised, and not in the good way.

Scott
Old July 10, 2000, 01:36 PM   #4
Richard

The trick with the PT111 is to use both index fingers when pulling the trigger during a long range session. Yes, there is plenty of room to do this. You use your trigger finger to pull the trigger and your off hand index finger to help it. My PT111 has never bobbled. Regards, Richard.
Old July 10, 2000, 02:12 PM   #5
Doug S

The PT 111 is a nice little pistol. I've put well over 500 rounds through mine and its been totally reliable. The trigger does leave something to be desired, but the more you shoot this gun the less you'll notice the trigger pull (I notice it mostly after I've been shooting another gun and then switch to the PT-111). Overall I consider my SS PT-111 a very nice pistol for $299 NIB. Also I've heard a lot of complaints about field stripping this gun. Just make sure that you keep the barrel pressed down as you put the slide back on the gun and you'll not have any problems.
Old July 10, 2000, 06:36 PM   #6
Claemore70

Now see, on my PT111, the trigger wasn't that bad. Thought it was better than a Kel-Tec by a long shot.

------------------
"Vote with a Bullet."
Old July 10, 2000, 07:32 PM   #7
glockorama

I had one for about a month once. WORST trigger I have ever seen. If you like it, great, go for it. But any gun you need TWO fingers to shoot, I'll pass.
Old July 10, 2000, 08:45 PM   #8
ScottS

I'm a pretty flexible guy, but put me on the "not if it takes two fingers" list, too.

With the right trigger, tho, it could be a nice weapon.

Scott
Old July 10, 2000, 11:09 PM   #9
Banzai

UUUmmm, it's a defensive pistol, people, not an Olympic target pistol. It's intended role is contact to 7 yards, which it fills nicely.

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!
Wake up and realize that you have the moral imperative of action..!!!
Old July 10, 2000, 11:14 PM   #10
jetrecbn1

I can shoot the Sigma pistols and their triggers were the hardest I felt. Can't you take a couple links out of some spring to lighten the pull? Polish here and there maybe? All I know is that pistols that are "pocket" guns SHOULD have somewhat of a heavy trigger. I'll take a little heavy 8-10lbs if the triger is smooth.
Old July 11, 2000, 09:10 AM   #11
fun gun guy

I have had a PT-111 for about a month now with no problems, and I really like the little guy (very light and concealable). It has been 100% reliable, and IMO the trigger is not as bad as the Kel-Tec's trigger. I previously owned a Kel-Tec P40 and the trigger was longer and not as smooth (not that the Taurus trigger is smooth by any stretch of the imagination). My P40 did NOT have the trigger shoe installed, which I understand helps some.
Old July 11, 2000, 10:00 AM   #12
ScottS

I'd take 8-10 lbs, too, and I'm also in favor of a "deliberate" trigger pull in a defensive pistol also, but this trigger pull was EASILY in excess of 20 lbs (20 times and my finger was done), with lots of grit and creep at the end of the stroke. Not saying this is true for all PT111's, but they sure do have that rep.

As far as "contact to 7 yards" goes, at 2 Gunsite courses I saw lots of people completely miss the target at THREE YARDS because they honked a DA trigger too hard. Trigger pull is still an important part of the equation.

Scott

[This message has been edited by ScottS (edited July 11, 2000).]
Old July 11, 2000, 07:50 PM   #13
aerod1

Before I bought a P-111, I rented one and also a Kel-Tec P-11. Of these two guns the Taurus had the best trigger, by far. It has about 600 rounds through it and have had no problems. It shoots reloads, factory, ball or hollowpoints. It is a belly gun and operates well when used as intended. I have never had to use two hands to pull the trigger on either the Taurus or the Kel-Tec.
Jim Hall
Old December 13, 2008, 04:17 PM   #14
SDAteacher

Taurus PT-111

I dont know when you guys bought your PTs, BUT Ijust bought mine last month, and the trigger is one of the LIGHTEST DAO/striker types i have ever used. ( even lighter than my GLOCKS ( 6) althought longer) yes it's a long pull but thats what you get on this type of a handgun. It is MUCH lighter and faster than the keltec of which i own both the 9mm and the .40 which are very heavy and hard for anyone with weaker gripping/ finger strength. My 72 year old mother and father couldnt begin to pull on the keltec's but had absolutly no probs with the taurus. ( arthritus included )

FYI Taurus has one of the best warrenty/service policies in the gun industry if you have a problem with its pull or any other issue call or email them I'm pretty sure they would fix/improve it at NO CHARGE they are real good that way.

just my two cents
Old December 13, 2008, 04:20 PM   #15
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
I dont know when you guys bought your PTs ...
Well, we know it was over 8 years ago!
Old December 13, 2008, 08:08 PM   #16
B.N.Real

SDATeacher was kicking the dust off the books in the library for real there.

Old December 13, 2008, 09:38 PM   #17
slugbug

paper targets dont shoot back. If you NEED to use this weapon w/ the stronger trigger it wont even cross you mind. The only thing your going to be thinking about is your shot placement and not getting shot!
Old December 14, 2008, 04:07 PM   #18
Ricklin

???????

SDATeacher

Why in the world did you dredge up an 8 year old thread?

And with your very first post to boot............
Old December 14, 2008, 06:22 PM   #19
PhoenixConflagration

I have the PT-111 pro. DA/SA. No trigger problems here. Great little carry gun.
Old December 14, 2008, 07:49 PM   #20
Doug S

Yes, it has been quite a while, and I hear that Taurus has improved the trigger on these. My PT 111 has long since been replaced by a pair of G26'.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle