The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 5, 2001, 03:12 PM   #1
KnoxVol

Where can I get training to fire with my BHP 1 foot aloft, "ejector up", 90% downward point, with limp wristed hold? I so admire that style of shooting and was curious if anyone can point to where I might learn it?

Old June 5, 2001, 03:33 PM   #2
glockjeeper

Da Hood!
Old June 5, 2001, 03:36 PM   #3
MatthewM

It's about being cool, not smart. It's about dressing to fit in, not to look your best. It's about displaying attitude, not behaving with dignity. It's about making noise & displaying your machismo, not about hitting what you aim at.

You've got to start with the basics. Shoplift the clothes, learn the lyrics and blindly idolize the moronic rappers. Drop out of school, learn some bball handling. Mind you that is ball handling, no need to make any shots. Now for the shooting, it's about striking the pose, no need to actually hit anything. You can save a lot of money by just practicing without ammo. Best place is in your bedroom in front of the mirror...
Old June 5, 2001, 03:36 PM   #4
Ewok_Guy

Yo! G-Dawg!
Old June 5, 2001, 03:39 PM   #5
NINE

Start smoking crack, and it will all come naturally! lol
Old June 5, 2001, 03:45 PM   #6
PreserveFreedom

You need new sights.

Old June 5, 2001, 03:55 PM   #7
KnoxVol

bwahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Preserve Freedom! I think I just wet myself!!!!!!!

Old June 5, 2001, 04:03 PM   #8
Pampers

Encourage It!

I'd like to take every opportunity to encourage the homies to use this method. It gives me a better chance when I use Col. Cooper's methods.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old June 5, 2001, 05:45 PM   #9
Navy joe

Pampers, On a rare serious note in this thread, I have an opposing view. I talked to a rangemaster at my local range who had taken the time to train a couple of guys who were shooting "flounder" and still not on paper at 10 yds. He got them shooting tight groups COM utilizing a conventional grip and stance. I asked him why bother with such scum. He said that he was happy to train them to hit the target rather than kill some little girl 4 blocks away in a drug deal gone bad. Makes sense to me. Anyway, If one tried something with me he would be a chalk outline before the gun cleared those damn baggy pants. What do you buy, an IWB/SOBK (Small of Back of Kneecap) holster?
Old June 5, 2001, 08:47 PM   #10
abrahamsmith

actually...

Actually, one day at the range a couple of guys and I got a little bored with the "clang clang clang" of the metal disk, so we tried shooting horizontally.

There were no sights, of course, so it was hard to figure out hwere to "aim" at the 25 yard target... HOWEVER, it did seem easier to control the recoil this way, probably since the muscles of the arm seemed more naturally positioned.

After a little practice, one of the guys could hit the plate (12" across) every time quite easily.

I don't, however, expect it to be picked up by IPSC any time soon
Old June 5, 2001, 09:56 PM   #11
ronin308

Step 1- Drink a 40 oz.
Step 2- Smoke some Panama Red
Step 3- Shoot your 'gat!

Dan
Old June 5, 2001, 11:39 PM   #12
DAKODAKID

1. buy pants 6x's too big and wear them very low
2. wear your boxers up past your bellybutton
3. trade a nice yellow rock for a Glock in 9mm
4. hold the pistol sideways
5. make sure to jerk the trigger
6. don't look at your sights (only punks use sights)
7. always "flick" your wrist while shooting (helps the
bullets come out faster).
8. put your index finger into the trigger guard up past
the 2nd knuckle
9. always be full of liquid courage(see the 40oz post
above)
10. Never and I mean never(this is the most important)hit
what you are shooting at.

It also helps to have an IQ below that of room temp..
Old June 6, 2001, 12:21 AM   #13
Good Guy

Homeboy Night sights

That's hilarious PF!

I guess it takes the same mentality to take a torch to the suspension springs of a perfectly good car to lower it as it does to shoot a handgun "gangsta" style. A lobotomy might get you in the proper frame of mind.
Old June 6, 2001, 12:29 AM   #14
Bob Locke

Oddly enough, I was having a discussion on this very topic with a female coworker this afternoon. I had seen the Homeboy Nightsights before, and told her about them. She laughed her butt off, just like I (and all of you) have also done.

I've never tried shooting like that, but I believe it could be done (and done well) with some practice. The only real change I see would be placing the front sight to the right of the target (or to the left if you happen to be left-handed) in your sight picture.
Old June 6, 2001, 01:16 AM   #15
quantico

I actually practice shooting with the gun in many positions. I shoot it upside down and with either hand. I want to be able to handle the gun in any way I need to. I do not shoot sideways -because I don't want to look like some doufus.
Old June 6, 2001, 04:24 AM   #16
TABING

Location: White Mountains, AZ & Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
The origin of this style of shooting is Israeli intelligence Mossad. In the mid 1970s they sent an assassination squad to Europe to avenge the murders of their Olympic wrestling team, They were armed with mdl 70 Berretta 22lr pistols with special low powered ammo, just enough to RELIABLY cycle.. They shot from point blank range, carried the pistols with an empty chamber and at the last second, pulled back the slide to chamber a round. this is more easily done with the pistol held horizontally (try it). since no aiming was required, they simply shot from this position. They never failed to kill, (although they did get a wrong guy in Norway once).

[Edited by TABING on 06-06-2001 at 06:36 PM]
Old June 6, 2001, 05:58 AM   #17
Tom B

Simple...Join a gang!
Old June 6, 2001, 07:21 AM   #18
Double Naught Spy

While I don't know where you can get lessons for this, I think I can shed light on why it is done. MatthewM had it right, for the most part. This type of behavior goes on in nature all the time.

Many animals, including humans, assess their opponents based on size and displays of power. Some animals will try to stand taller to appear bigger, present their broad side, bare their teeth, beat their chest, puff up, stamp the ground, growl, grunt, etc. These are all types of displays that are intended to show their opponents just how tuff they are, whether it is to protect themselves from a predator or when fighting over who gets mating rights to a female.

The homeboy style of shooting serves this purpose very well. The raising of the gun serves to make the person holding the gun appear taller. It also serves to display the gun. A taller person is a 'bigger' person, hence must be more powerful. The display of the gun is like baring teeth. The whole package says, "I'm big, powerful, and have the tools to hurt you."

As noted above, this is not the most accurate form to use for shooting. Many display behaviors are not terribly practical either from tactical perspectives, but they serve the purpose of creating an illusion of more power.

Why is the gun held flounder style? That is a product of biomechanics. With the gun held in the air, it would be difficult to hold the gun up and still point is down towards the intended recipient.
Old June 6, 2001, 07:26 AM   #19
scoops

whats to learn.just do what you see them doing>thats why they can unload a full mag and miss.
Old June 6, 2001, 09:00 AM   #20
HowardK

I wouldn't get too cocky....the gb's don't always miss. At VERY close range, even holding the gun sideways will get a COM hit. The difference is that most of us will think once, maybe twice, before we draw or shoot. They will shoot without thinking. That gives them the edge, no matter how they hold the gun. If gb's always miss then why do more cops get killed than perps?
Old June 6, 2001, 09:31 AM   #21
Walt2

gangsta style

After 50+ years of using handguns, to me this is just another stupid way of showing off and is a great risk to anyone within the projectile capability of the caliber.
Old June 6, 2001, 09:33 AM   #22
Kharn

Its not for style or any of that stuff, its so they can shoot over the register and still hit the 7-11 clerk! Havent you guys ever paid attention? With those low-hanging cigarette shelves above the register, a conventional hold would cause a jam when the slide hit the shelf and mess up the nickle finish on their Jennings.

Kharn
Old June 6, 2001, 10:03 AM   #23
Mntneer357

Don't get me started.......

Ladies and Gents:

Talk about the very epitome of "spray and pray shooting"! Most of these gangbanger-types are uneducated, overly aggressive, and probably don't know what the sights on a handgun are for. The main advantage they have is the very fact that they carry something on the order of 500 rounds of ammo to "bust a cap" in their adversary. Eventually the law of averages catches up with these guys and they score a hit. This is the literal definition of spray and pray. Hence why it takes an entire car-load of these wastes of human tissue to accomplish a drive by. Morons. Every time I see your typical "colors wearin', 40oz drinking, full-of-attitude, the-world-owes-me-a-living, low rider driving, rap music booming" guys it just makes me sad.

Yes, this thread has hit a nerve with me! (Can you tell?) Our elected representatives have decided that it is not good for the general citizenry to have firearms that hold too many rounds. Do you think this is gonna prevent gang-bangers from getting their "gats 'dat pack 80 rounds?" *NO!Heck, there are even some elected officials who think that honest, law abiding citizens should not have guns! Do you think for one nano-second that the "gang-bangers" are going to be affected whatsoever at all by this? *NO!*

For these very reasons, I carry and train hard with the most accurate, most powerful weapons I can handle. (eg. .357 Magnum, 45 ACP, 12 gauge) Find cover, return fire, and shoot straight. Double Naught Spy had it correct. These predators usually attack those who seem weaker, smaller, and less aggressive. Pray to God we never have to find out, BUT I bet when you return fire and drop that first one the others will leave the area in a BIG hurry.

Kindest Regards,
Mntneer357
Old June 6, 2001, 05:29 PM   #24
Dead

From what I remember this started with Chinese warlords, way way back when they used the Full Auto BroomHandle pistols. They would hold it sideways and "cut" a lane of fire instead of going vertical.
Old June 7, 2001, 12:04 AM   #25
Glock_Racer

Well, since you brought it up...