The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 7, 2001, 01:40 PM   #1
longeyes

What really is the difference between these two (.30-30, lever-action) models? I realize the 30AW is cheaper but are there are any substantive differences in terms of operation and/or quality? I'm looking for a basic, decent-quality .30-30 but don't want to overspend. This would be my first rifle.
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson
Old June 7, 2001, 02:53 PM   #2
Guyon

Well, Marlin makes an entire line of 336 rifles--the 336 Cowboy, 336SS, 336C, 336CC, 336W, 336A. The two rifles you're probably referring to are the 336C and the 336A (formerly identified as the 30 series). These are the two versions one would most commonly find in a sporting goods store or discount store.

The 336C offers a walnut stock and a different barrel band. The 336A is the economy version with a hardwood stock. Both are excellent rifles. I have the 336A version, and it is an excellent rifle. Well-made and accurate out of the box.

You can check out the various 336 rifles at: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...fire/index.htm
Old June 7, 2001, 02:54 PM   #3
treeprof

336 = walnut wood; 336A and 336W = walnut finish on generic hardwood. That's about it. Everything else is pretty much the same.
Old June 7, 2001, 04:22 PM   #4
Robert the41MagFan

The 336C has American black walnut stock, rubber butt pad, semi buckhorn folding rear sight and Wide scan front hood. The 30AW has blued steel fore-end cap, rather than the cowboy style forearm of the 336C. The 336SS is the same a 336C, but in stainless steel and the Cowbow is blued 24" tapered octagon barrel with deep-cut Ballard rifling in 1:12 twist.

Robert
Old June 8, 2001, 07:08 PM   #5
Guyon

Hey longeyes,

Most of us addressed the differences but not your more important question.

The 30AW (336A--same thing) is a fine rifle at a good price. The bluing is deep and dark. Fit and finish are top notch, and the rifle operates nicely out of the box. My first group after zeroing was under 3/4" at 100 yards. You can pick up a good used 30AW at a show for a good price. New 336A's can be had for around $250 or even less if you keep your eyes open. Great rifle, great price. If you don't want to overspend, the lower end rifle is a smart choice. It's a lot of rifle for the money and one you'll be proud you bought.

Marlin customer service is great as well. My rifle lacked the attachable thumb stud for the hammer. Marlin had a new one at my door within a few days.
Old June 8, 2001, 07:30 PM   #6
longeyes

I bought one (base price: $259). On the box it's marked "30AW / 336W," so presumably the two models are identical. I figured this one made sense as a first rifle for both cost and versatility, and I know Marlin has a very good reputation for quality and service.

Thanks for the helpful posts, everyone.
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson