The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 7, 2001, 05:18 PM   #1
Jhp147

Has anyone here had experience with by owning or carrying THREE different brands of Kydex holster, preferably of similar styles, etc? There seems to be many out there now, and most folks really like the ONE brand they have. I've been wondering if they have been around enough to allow a real person, not a writer, to compare them to each other in a meaningful comparison. Thanks for any time and info.
Old June 7, 2001, 06:55 PM   #2
SAWBONES

I've owned and used Kydex holsters by Blade-Tech, Comp-Tac, Mad Dog (Gun Glove), Ky-Tac and several lesser-known brands.
Everyone has their own opinions about these brands. Here's mine, from experience with use on the range, in training classes, and daily CCW.
By far, the Ky-Tac Braveheart and the Comp-Tac Gurkha are my favorites. Both are well made, sturdy, quick, accessible and comfortable IWB holsters. Both are rock-solid, being attached to the belt fore and aft of the actual holster. Their quality is equivalent, though the designs differ slightly.
Conp-Tac's holsters are less expensive (as though ANY Kydex holster was epensive!) than Ky-Tac's, but what REALLY makes me choose Comp-Tac's (Gregg Garrett's) work over Ky-Tac's (David Elderton) is Gregg's reliability and quickness in filling orders. I've waited two, seven and seven DAYS, respectively, from day of ordering, to receive a Gurkha for the Glock 30, a Shirt Tucker for the Glock 30, and a Gurkha for the H&K P7M8 (and all left-handed, to boot). I waited several months to get a Braveheart for the Glock 30 from Dave Elderton, and am STILL waiting for another Braveheart, for the H&K P7M8 this time, now 5 months after pre-paying for the durn thing. Dave Elderton of Ky-Tac (http://members.aol.com/KYTAC/index.html) is a nice enough guy, and his work is excellent, but he's frankly unreliable, doesn't answer emails, and makes promises he doesn't keep. (BTW, some Ky-Tac holsters may be available from distributors, especially right-handed models, without having to go through Dave Elderton. http://www.skdtac.com is one such distributor.) Gregg Garrett of Comp-Tac (http://www.comp-tac.com), on the other hand, makes Kydex holsters of a quality equivalent to Ky-Tac's, but is fast, courteous, and reliable.
I recommend him and his work with enthusiasm. Best.