The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2001, 11:53 AM   #1
Markk9

How do you keep records?

How do you all keep your reloading records? I have an Excel spreadsheet that I keep all my info in.

Mark

Last edited by Markk9; June 22, 2001 at 12:16 PM.
Old June 22, 2001, 12:08 PM   #2
CITADELGRAD87

New to Loading but old fashioned

I just bought a very small spiral notebook at the drugstore.

While I just started loading, the first page contains load data: case mfr, # times loaded, bullet type, weight, powder type and amount, and...

the actual group I fired, cut out into a 1.5" square, annotated with distance and date.

Subsequent loads will each get their own page.

If I am missing any data, please feel free to let me know.
Old June 22, 2001, 12:20 PM   #3
Markk9

My headers are: Date Loaded, Lot Number, Caliber, Number in Lot, Bullet (Wgt, MFG, type), Powder (Mfg, Type, Wgt, and Lot number), Primer (Mfg, Type, and Lot number), Case (Mfg, Times Fired, Loaded, and Trimmed), Case lenght, OAL, Velocity (High, Low, SD) and Notes.
Old June 22, 2001, 12:45 PM   #4
Bob C

I have been using an APPROACH database for two months, and am beginning to like it. It took a while ( 4 or 5 hours) to set it up. After twenty years, the spiral notebook thing wasn't working very well. For a supplement, I also keep selected representative targets for guns I still own.
Old June 23, 2001, 09:43 PM   #5
Michael Priddy

records

I use the spiral notebook of index cards. I have one for each rifle. Using the gum lables from Midway, I record the load data and the OAL of that particular bullet. I stick the lable on the left side of the card. If the load is especially accurat, I cut the group out of the target and using a glue stick, past it beside the gum lable. If it was not a good load, I make a note on the card so that I want try that load again. I like this method because I can carry the note book with me to the range and make any remarks about weather/temp/ wind and velocity on the card Michael
Old June 24, 2001, 09:55 AM   #6
MIKE14

I've only kept a log on my M1A and all the loads that go through it. I keep a clipboard with a leagal pad on it. I note time of day, weather conditions and anything else that might be helpful.I fill out the info on all my targets, I note what string,how many shots in that string, velocity on each shot, Average velocity, extreme spread, A.D. and S.D. and any remarks regarding that string. When I get home I put this info into Microsoft word and print out the days results then put the pages into a three ring binder. This works well for me.
Old June 24, 2001, 08:41 PM   #7
JohnK

I used to keep them all in a notebook, now I keep them in a database that's accessed through a program or web interface.

http://www.handloads.com
Molan Labe!
Old June 25, 2001, 05:30 PM   #8
Monkeyleg

I write the load data on slips of paper that invariably get lost, and then I try like crazy to remember the load.
Old June 27, 2001, 07:01 AM   #9
ZeusOne

It appears that Monkeyleg is the only honest one among us!

I maintain a multi-sheet/linked monster of a spreadsheet that allows me to record my component purchases, load data, shooting results, notes, etc. I've got a real good idea of my actual expenses, cost per round, breakeven points, individual historical load performance and overall reloading/development history. The data is precise enough so that I can determine which loads and components provide the best mix of cost and performance.

The spreadsheet above suits me because I'm constantly tailoring it to my requirements, and I really like to track my costs. However, there are times when a quick look would be better served by an index file or spiral notebook, as opposed to waiting for the PC to boot up. Some day, I'll transition the sheet to a database app with a more flexible report format for inclusion in a spiral binder.
Old June 28, 2001, 05:09 PM   #10
Gewehr98

I have a Microsoft Access template/database, which was designed expressly for handload recordkeeping. I forgot who I got it from, but if interested, email me and I'd be more than happy to send it to whoever wants it for their own record-keeping purposes.

Neural Misfires
Old June 30, 2001, 01:44 AM   #11
blades67

I use a loose leaf 3-ring binder.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old July 1, 2001, 08:29 AM   #12
k in AR

I use a 3 ring binder when working loads up.

Once I have the accuracy & results I want, I transfer the data to my PointBlank software. I also print a hardcopy so I'll have it even if the computer dies. That goes in the file cabinet.

BTW: The PointBlank software is free & is a very well made Ballistics & data base software. I got it from WWW.Huntingnut.com