The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 5, 2001, 02:18 PM   #1
RH Factor

CZ75 conversion kits to .22lr

Does anyone know if the conversion kits to .22lr fit the CZ75 compact or only the full size ones. Also does anyone have first hand experience with a CZ and a .22lr conversion kit. Thanks
Old July 5, 2001, 03:07 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

The guys on the CZ Forum say the Kadet kit works on the PCR and Compacts too. I have one for my CZ-85 Combat. Very, very accurate. (Just about as accurate as my Ruger Slabside, which I sold after I realized the Kadet's accuracy.)

I'd call the CZ customer service number or talk to the gunsmith in the service department if I wanted to be sure. I'm pretty sure it works, though.

You may have problems getting it to work right at first; they often need a little gunsmith "fitting."

Here's a URL for two of the cz forums:

http://www.unitedforums.com/cgi-bin/...i?action=intro

htt://www.czforum.com
Old July 5, 2001, 04:07 PM   #3
slickpuppy

Try calling Mike at CZ-USA. The number is 800-955-4486. He is their resident gun guru. I asked him the same basic question and he said the conversion kit works on all CZ75s and 85s.

I test fired mine this morning and was impressed. With Eley Tenex it shot nice tight groups. Will try some cheaper fodder this weekend.

Required no fitting on my 75 at all.
Old July 5, 2001, 05:48 PM   #4
shiroikuma

I've got a kadet kit and use it with both a fill size and a PCR (compact with alloy frame). It works fine in both with no fitting required. In fact I suspect that fitting is a rare thing. If you have to do it it's also very easy.

buy one!

shiro
Old July 5, 2001, 07:10 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

It requires fitting,

but it's minimal.

I have one for my CZ-75 and it works great. Accurate and wonderful for training the challenged shooter. Once they're comfortable and have mastered the sights and trigger, I convert it to a 9mm for them.
Old July 5, 2001, 10:11 PM   #6
Hal

Best $210.00 I ever spent, bout sums it up.
Fitting the Kadet to my CZ75b required a small bit of filing on the unit itself, not on the 75b frame. I really took my time using the file on my Leatherman, and followed up with a coarse then fine stone to smooth things out. The end result is a rock solid mount with no play in it. Think of the Kadet kit as more of an upper assembly than a .22 conversion kit. I have a Ciener 1911 conversion kit for my Kimber and there's a vast difference between the two. The only two dowsides:
1.) The magazine is kind of hard to load a full 10 rounds into. rounds 8,9 and 10 can get painful because of the stiff spring. After a few hundred rounds, the top of the magazine starts to cut into your finger.
2.) Using a .22 seems to magnify the shortcomings of the 75b trigger. Because the Kadet kit is so accurate, it makes any creep or drift in the trigger stand out a lot more than using the 9mm version. While my own 75 has what I would call an exceptional trigger for basicly a military firearm, the Kadet kit is more of a precision target system, and as such the miitary trigger just doesn;t go with it. I'm really torn between keeping the trigger stock and having it worked over so that I can wring the max potential out of the Kadet version.
Old July 6, 2001, 12:39 AM   #7
slickpuppy

RAE,
You can always install the CZ75 Champion hammer, trigger, and sear in your gun. It would be a super sweet trigger.
Old July 6, 2001, 12:47 AM   #8
orlando5

hmmm.

What is the price range for the CZ 75 Kadet (not the conversion kit). Can the CZ 75 Kadet be converted to a 9mm?

I am thinking about getting the CZ 75 kadet myself.

http://www.cz-usa.com/pro/prod_a.html
Old July 6, 2001, 04:28 PM   #9
Hal

Slickpuppy,
Are the Champion parts available?
I dry fired onee of those at a dealer and was mucho impressed. With a Kadet upper and a Champion trigger, I think my CZ could give my High Standard a run for the money.
The downside is that I wouldn't really want that light a trigger on the 9mm for a HD gun.
Old July 6, 2001, 10:29 PM   #10
slickpuppy

RAE,
I spoke with Mike at CZ-USA about the Champion parts and he said they were making up around 250 more sets. They seem to be very popular.

The set is definitely for a range/target type of usage. I would not want them on a defensive handgun.

Orlando, J&G Sales in Arizona has the conversions for around $239 or so.