The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 23, 2001, 11:57 PM   #1
hoosierboy

ATTN all hoosiers CCW holders info made public!

The elkhart truth newspaper decided to pst the names of all the names of CCW holders in Indiana. My friend e-mailed this here it is and the link:

The Elkhart Truth has obtained a complete database of all the state of Indiana license to carry holders. They have published this database on their web site for all to see. This puts all of our safety in jeopardy.

This is from the Elkhart Truth Web Site

Who has a permit to carry a gun? ugo2know.com obtained the Indiana State Police database of all permit holders in the state. There are roughly 320,000 names on the list, including about 11,000 in the county. To find out who the permit holders are, follow this link:

http://www.elkharttruth.com/guns/gunsearch.html
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
--Ayn Rand, in "The Nature of Government"
http://hometown.aol.com//jsax13/web.html
Member NRA, GOA, JPFO, SAF, and CCRKBA.
Old July 24, 2001, 01:27 AM   #2
OF

Sweet jesus. Do these people have any honor at all? These are the kind of people who would turn you over the SS for a pat on the back. I am flabergasted. Scum, the whole lot of them...nothing but scum.

- Gabe
Old July 24, 2001, 06:17 AM   #3
fmjcafe

Holy [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]! I typed in a common name and got 15K hits!Unreal!I like the disclaimer about their desire to protect the privacy of permit holders by not posting their complete address.I can`t for the life of me see what they hope to accomplish by doing this.
Old July 24, 2001, 06:34 AM   #4
MIKE14

This sux bad!!!
Old July 24, 2001, 07:01 AM   #5
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Flip side: makes CCW far more socially acceptable as folks begin to realize how many friends, co-workers carry.
Old July 24, 2001, 07:10 AM   #6
Mad Man

Other people with guns

What's next -- publishing the names of every police offcer?
Old July 24, 2001, 07:30 AM   #7
Walosi

Might be the right time to present their list back to them, as 320,000 people in the state, and 11,000 in the county,who are no longer interested in subscribing to or buying advertising space in their rag. That would be a real public service, IMHO.
Old July 24, 2001, 07:35 AM   #8
Brett Bellmore

Well, if I were a pro-gun candidate for public office in that state, at least I'd know who to contact for campaign support...
Old July 24, 2001, 07:36 AM   #9
KSFreeman

CCW in Indiana??? What the heck is that critter?

I found me. Never hurts to get the name out.
Old July 24, 2001, 07:44 AM   #10
Mad Man

Past and present

A quick search by typing in the name "Smith" reveals that they are also listing expired CCW permits. Some of them expired several years ago.
Old July 24, 2001, 08:26 AM   #11
Gene Beasley

Neither senator listed. In the house:

Rep Mike Pence, 2nd district (possible match)

Rep John Hostettler, 8th district (no suprise here)

Rep Julia Carson, 10th district (sponsor of HR 515 - Child Handgun Injury Prevention Act)

I only check the ones that had pages listed in Yahoo. I didn't check the state rep/sen.
Old July 24, 2001, 08:38 AM   #12
Justin

That f***in' snaps it!
I hope these 3rd rate, Mastercard Marxist wanna-be muck-rakers
{have an enjoyable afternoon} <~Content edited for, um, civility.
Methinks it's time for an email drive.

Incidentally, if I am criminally victimized in one way or another, would it be possible to sue the Hoosier Pravda for reckless endangerment?

Last edited by Justin; July 24, 2001 at 09:26 AM.
Old July 24, 2001, 09:37 AM   #13
Justin

My letter to those involved with advertising...

Mr. Melvin-

I understand that your website has posted an online database of all concealed weapon permit holders in the state of Indiana.
I would like to thank the editorial staff for violating the privacy rights of literally thousands of individuals.
As such, I have personally contacted about a dozen other permit holders who I personally know and given them the information about the database.
News of this is also currently screaming across the internet at darn near the speed of light. And a lot of people are very, very upset with your little newspaper and website.
I just thought I'd send you a heads up to know that it probably won't be too long before people start hearing the words 'boycott' and 'canceling subscription.'
Just a heads up to let y'all know.

Regards

I figure, hit 'em where it hurts most, the wallet.

Mr. Melvin can be contacted via the web at
[email protected]

Sherri Reiner is also on the advertising staff:
[email protected]
Old July 24, 2001, 09:43 AM   #14
hoosierboy

ok here is a little update I got from one of my friends

Morning,All...When I found out that the "Truth" had done this,(haven't seen their site or a copy of the sunday paper) I immediatly called the Indiana State Police,Maj. Karen Butt,who is in charge of the Firearms section. She stated that the list of license -to-carry holders is "public property" and that under law,she had to divulge it when asked fro. She stated further that the ISP sells this info on a disk to ANYONE who wants to buy it.I spoke w/her for about 10 min. trying to impress upon her the fact that she had just opened a can of worms and that now employers,criminals, and anyone who wanted to, could now hassle those people who carry w/a license. I then called Mr. Ron(?) Wilson,manageing editor of the "Truth" and advised him that he and his staff were irresponsible in putting this info out there. About 10
min. worth.
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
Old July 24, 2001, 09:56 AM   #15
PreserveFreedom

Well mine doesn;t show up there. Seems to me that if the list was up to date, it could increase a burglar's odds of success. Just run addresses until you find a "safe" house to hit.

Old July 24, 2001, 09:58 AM   #16
logansdad

You think that's bad....

Here's a story about what the Commercial Appeal in Memphis, TN, did years ago.

Before the TN shall issue CCW law was passed, county sheriffs issued permits on a discretionary basis. At that time in Shelby County, you had to qualify with EACH gun you wanted to carry.

The Commercial Appeal got hold of the permit holder list from the SCSD. Not only did they publish our names, but the actual makes and models of the guns that we were permitted to carry! I open the paper one day, and there's the list - my name included, and the makes and models of all 4 guns that I had qualified with.

They got gobs of mail from us over this, but their only response to the uproar was "public knowledge". What a bunch of crap!

Interestingly, the paper's editor was on the list, too. Can't understand why he would want to make this info available.

Yes, it bites.
Old July 24, 2001, 10:09 AM   #17
Justin

Here's all the contact info for the employees of this particular publication. (and I use that term loosely.)

Publisher:
David Ogle (219) 296-5824
[email protected]

Editor:
Terry Greenberg (219) 296-5873
[email protected]

Advertising Director:
Gay Eby (219) 296-5825
[email protected]

Controller
Jeff Laderer (219) 296-5898
[email protected]

Circulation Director:
Jim Morris (219) 296-5909
[email protected]

Director of Operations:
Brandon Erlacher (219) 296-5845
[email protected]

Community Affairs & Public Relations Director:
Ron Schmanske (219) 296-5862
[email protected]

Advertising Sales Manager:
Mark Wolf (219) 296-5916
[email protected]

Promotions Manager:
Karey Welde (219) 296-5840
[email protected]

Mailroom Manager:
Chuck Eaton (219) 296-5953
[email protected]

Online Marketing and Sales Manager:
Sherri Reiner (219) 296-5947
[email protected]

Webmaster
Rob Przybylski (219) 296-5955
[email protected]

Go forth, call, email, be irate, but polite.
This info was taken from
http://www.elkharttruth.com/static/h...k/whoswho.html

To everyone at the Elkhart Truth!
Old July 24, 2001, 01:04 PM   #18
jimpeel

I clicked on the link and got the message "Error: template ':guns:gunsearch.html' not found"

Wassup?

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old July 24, 2001, 01:08 PM   #19
jimpeel

Letters to the editor beginning to be printed. Here's are a few from their site:

Door opened for burglaries

Quote:
Tue, Jul 24, 2001

The power of the pen is said to be mightier than the sword. In wielding their pen I believe The Truth, in publishing the list of permit holders, has opened the door for any informed burglar with an Internet connection and a phone book. How simple to get a list of people who would probably have guns in their home.

Will The Truth accept responsibility for any burglary caused by their published list? No, they will hide behind their First Amendment rights while they trample on those who would exercise their Second Amendment rights.

I am not a gun nut but just a law-abiding citizen who believes in self-protection. In signing this letter I realize the above unsavory people will have no problem finding my address. So thanks for your irresponsible pen.

JOHN SMOLINSKI

Elkhart
Quote:
License list informs criminals

Tue, Jul 24, 2001

Thanks for exposing the entire list of license-to-carry holders of our county. I used to feel that I had the upper edge on a would-be mugger or common criminal. Not any more. Thanks to you and your liberal anti-gun reporting, everyone knows I have the right and the ability to protect myself.

You say you maintain a certain amount of privacy for us. Well, all you really did was protect yourselves from certain liability from prosecution. The criminal element is smarter than you. They now just need to look up phone numbers and addresses in the phone book. Want to steal a firearm? Just keep an eye out for your next victim using your newly acquired information given to you by The Elkhart Truth.

With the new ordinance passed by our county under the spirit of protecting us from ourselves (thanks to your super efforts to fan the flame of discord and fear), we can no longer carry our legal firearm with us where it was safe from a thief. We must leave it in our vehicles to be stolen.

The First Amendment is protected and ensured by the Second Amendment. The news media seem to forget this. During the '60s and '70s when the right to report the war was being assaulted by the federal government, who came to your aid? It was the NRA and all other believers in the straight-line interpretation of the Constitution.

ROGER MIKEL

Elkhart

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

Old July 24, 2001, 01:17 PM   #20
jimpeel

Some of the articles from their rag:

http://www.elkharttruth.com/272663799570360.bsp

http://www.elkharttruth.com/272710143807343.bsp

They have apparently removed the list from their site.

Old July 24, 2001, 01:45 PM   #21
jimpeel

Is this site mirrored anywhere? It would be interesting to run the names Caliban gave to see if any of them are on the list. Politicians, too. The page is gone. They must have gotten too much flak.

Old July 24, 2001, 02:01 PM   #22
OF

Has anyone noticed how quickly we seem to be able to effect change lately? These pukes took the page down in a matter of hours! I know it's not just TFL'res, but TFL is most obviously a HUGELY important resource and venue. <Darth Vader voice = ON> Impressive...most impressive.

- Gabe
Old July 24, 2001, 03:22 PM   #23
MP Freeman

[Whiney voice]

Ahh maaaannn.... We shut the thing down before I could find my name on the list.

[/Whiney voice]

Did anybody find it just down right wonderful that Comrad Julia Carson was apparently on the list?

Regards,
MP
Old July 24, 2001, 05:06 PM   #24
KSFreeman

Little Brother, what's so surprising to see tavarish Carson with a license to carry? After all gun laws are only for us "little people." See, e.g., Di Fi, Carl Rowan, etc. et al.
Old July 24, 2001, 06:59 PM   #25
hoosierboy

They took the database off this morning. I spoke to the editor of the paper and he said since it was there to go along with a story they ran on sunday. I also put out an alert on www.freerepublic.com ans I am sure plenty of people chimed in since I just happened to display the 800# of the paper. I am glad it went down, but our local group is still considering a lawsuit for public endangerment.