The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 19, 2001, 07:57 PM   #1
S.F.S

Remington 1100 and the 1187..

Hey guys I am just curious about the difference of the two besides the 1187 being a newer model and it can shoot both 2 3/4" and 3" shells when the 1100 shoots either one or the other..
Is there any other difference?
Also is one of better quality than the other with durability, dependibility etc....

Last edited by S.F.S; August 19, 2001 at 09:00 PM.
Old August 22, 2001, 04:26 AM   #2
Guyon

Try a search on the shotgun forum using 1100 and 11-87 as your key words. You'll find quite a bit of discussion on the differences between these guns. Here are a few observations:

1100 - Best selling auto-loader and one of Remington's top ten sellers. Plenty of parts available. Price is good, especially the $328 clearance price at Wally World right now. Very reliable. Shoots light loads dependably. Limited to 2 3/4" shells on most guns. Prior to 1986, Remington did make a magnum model that will handle 3" shells. To shoot 3" shells reliably, however, your 1100 does need to have a Magnum receiver (M in the serial number I'm told). Some outfits sell 3" steel barrels for the 1100 (eg. http://www.outdoorguides.com/outdoor/barrels.htm ) I called Remington and was told that you can't shoot 3" lead in these barrels because of the greater pressures. Here's a good link on the 1100:
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3a8803f07327.htm

11-87: Remington altered the gas recoil system slightly to create a gun that could shoot 2 3/4" or 3" shells interchangeably. I have read that some 11-87s have trouble cycling some of the lighter loads. Others say their 11-87s cycle light loads just fine. It might simply be a matter of breaking in the gun before the light loads cycle dependably. Available now in a Super Mag that handles 3 1/2" shells (waste of money in my humble opinion).

Both guns offer reduced recoil because of their respective gas systems. Parts between the two are not interchangeable. Both seem to require a bit more care than a pump gun to maintain reliability. O-rings do need occasional changing. Many claim that these guns shoot better with only minimal lubrication.

Go to http://www.remington.com and take a look at both to see the various set-ups that Remington offers. Remington seems to be marketing the 1100 as mainly a clays gun and the 11-87 as a hunting gun.
Old August 22, 2001, 04:45 PM   #3
S.F.S

Guyon,
I can't seem to find a Wally-World where I live that even sells the 1100 I have been to 5 different ones already they only carry the 11-87.
Thanks for the info though.
Remington says that the 11-87 Premier Light Contour will not cycle light loads reliably. They said to look at the 1100 sporting clays model. Because the 11-87 is no longer made in the target model.
Could you comment on this at all, I have seen a friends 11-87 cycle light loads but he is the only one I know with one.
Old August 22, 2001, 09:52 PM   #4
Guyon

SFS: No first hand experience with the 11-87 and light loads. I already passed on what little I know from reading posts on this board and others. Maybe someone else here with an 11-87 could help you.

What part of the country you from? Maybe someone here knows of a Wally World close to you that still has the 1100 Synthetic. A lot of TFL'ers helped other TFL'ers locate 1100s in Dave McC's original post about the clearance prices.

Also, what do you plan to use the gun for? If you know you don't need a 3" shell (eg. if you don't duck hunt or turkey hunt), there's no point in spending the extra cash for the 11-87. The 1100 is a time-proven design that is great for clays and upland bird hunting.
Old August 23, 2001, 04:02 PM   #5
S.F.S

Guyon,
Thanks... I live in Delaware and have recently got involved in sporting clays and trap. I am currently using an 870 Express and plan on using it for the next 6 months or so to gain more knowledge of the sport. I plan on doing some dove hunting but I have the 870 for that, and also deer so, this will mainly be for clays and such (light loads mainly), I have been keeping my eyes open for a used 1100.
I am not sure what to look for on a used one though, I know to look for rust in the barrel or buldges in the barrel and just over all condition of the shotgun. But Im not sure what to look for with the action or how do I know if they are just plain worn out. I also know prior to 1986 they came with fixed tube barrels so I can't just interchange the choke tubes.