The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 5, 2002, 06:35 AM   #1
Hand_Rifle_Guy

Ever heard of Nichols scopes?

A while ago I got a Browning A-bolt SS Stalker in .270 Win.

It came with a Harris bipod and an immense variable scope made by Nichols.

Nobody seems to sell these scopes.

I can't find any literature on them.

Mine seems to work ok, but as this is one of only four scope rifles I have, my experience is rather limited.

Are these worth a damn? Pieces o' Crap? Mediocre?

About how much do they cost?

Thanks!

I'm reminded of that every time the phone rings.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G
Old January 5, 2002, 09:02 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Mr Nichols, or whatever his real name was, was an excecutive with Simmons who decided to go into business for himself. He had a line of scopes labeled for him and imported them for a while. They are very similar to Simmons in quality and price. They did not last long in competition with Simmons and other makes and I do not think they are being imported any more.
Old January 5, 2002, 12:23 PM   #3
rugerfreak

Nichols is the owner of Guns Unlimited here in Omaha----GU is the importer of SKB shotguns--and they still have quite an inventory of a bankrupt distributor that they bought out.

The Nichols scope line was brought out by him and GU-------they still have a bunch of them. They also have quite a few refurbs. Every Nichols scope that I've looked at said made in Japan---but the guys in the shop won't actually say who made them for them. They are not importing them anymore.--------------The more I think about it------seems like it was mentioned that they were made in a Nikon plant????----I think????

One of my buddies had one on a 7mm mag----he doesn't shoot very much---so I can't really give you an opinion as to long term durablity of the scopes.

Its been awhile since I've actually looked at them in the store---but as much as I can remember none of the Nichols scopes was over $199----with refurb 4 powers for like $25----something like that----most my attention for scopes is usually focused on Leupold--Burris---Zeiss---Kahles----so haven't given the Nichols scopes the once over in a long time.