The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 19, 2002, 01:59 AM   #1
johnAK

who makes silver bullet?

after seeing movie "Blade", I want to assemble silver-bullet ammo Blade was using just for fun,without powder of course,
so Who sells or makes this exotic item?

Can silver make bullet material like movie instead of lead? I think it is too soft besides cost. I don't think it will penetrate head-bone like in the movie.
Old May 19, 2002, 02:03 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Actually, silver is harder than lead. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have been suitable for use for coins and jewelry for thousands of years.

Because of its hardness (I THINK it may even be harder than copper), a bullet made out of silver would penetrate just like a solid.

That said, an all-silver bullet would be very light, and unless cast in a roundball would probably have rotten ballistic properties.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 19, 2002, 05:19 AM   #3
jjmorgan64

Mike, I 've gotta disagree with you

I was watching the lone ranger movie last night, and Tonto said silver is more accurate. To prove it, The Lone Ranger couldn't hit an 8 inch target at all with lead, and the when Tonto gave him the silve bullet he put it dead center.

That being said, yes siler would make a lousy bullet.

Oregon Trail makes bulles with traces of silver in the alloy, easier than removing it.

http://www.laser-cast.com/index.html

JM
Old May 19, 2002, 08:21 AM   #4
Doctari

silver bullets for fun not profit

Just buy some winchester silvertips. They are loaded in their defense line of ammo. Off course they aren't silver but i believe some blend of aluminum. But they look silver enough to scare any self respecting werewolf I would think:P
Old May 19, 2002, 11:54 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

If you are going to melt down Grannie,s sterling whazit to cast your own, remember that the silver bullet will cast undersize.

Should be no problem in a conversation piece but could be very important when defending against werevipers tho.

Sam
Old May 19, 2002, 02:59 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

You watch WAY too much TV, JJ.

Old May 19, 2002, 03:51 PM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Ask your local jewelry manufaturer - -

- - to cast you up some blocks or rods somewhat oversize and then any competent machinist can lathe-turn bullets for you, if all you need is a few, for novelties. This is a mite expensive.

One of my second cousins was engaged in a vampire-control project in Eastern Europe for a time, near but not IN Transylvania. She contracted with a Paris jewelry manufacturer to produce sterling silver .451" semi-wadcutters. Much more economical. Buffy said that big-bore revolvers worked best.

Best,
Johnny

Old May 19, 2002, 04:33 PM   #8
jjmorgan64

Quote:
You watch WAY too much TV, JJ.
No i just perked up when they pulled out the revolvers, it was a colt, in 44-40 by the by.

JM
Old May 19, 2002, 06:19 PM   #9
cheygriz

I know from personal experience that they work well against the Werewolf and the Chupacabra.

If Buffy uses them on vampires as well,.........Well....... that;s good enough for me!
Old May 19, 2002, 08:30 PM   #10
Steve Smith

chemo-saabe?

Or was that keemo-sabee? I think Tanto made them, didn't he?

Go see Tanto.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 19, 2002, 11:30 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

If Buffy uses silver bullets on Vampires, she's dog meat.

Silver bullets are for Werewolves, folks! (Wherewolf? THEREwolf!)

Wooden stakes are for Vampires!

Old May 20, 2002, 12:12 AM   #12
Archie

Back in the 1960s, when....

most everything was more fun, Gun World Magazine tried it. The test was conducted by the infamous Jack Lewis and I can't remember who "played" Tonto.

The results? Silver melts at a higher temperature, normal casting furnaces don't do well. As mentioned above, silver doesn't cast well. It doesn't fill out the moulds properly. They ended up finding a teacher from the local community college in the jewelry division to use a centrifuge device in order to fill out the bullets.
As for Tonto casting them over a campfire? Not likely.

Once cast, they shrink undersize no matter what. So they barely touched the rifling. Accuracy was then pretty wretched. They did cast "light". About half as heavy as lead.

On the same subject, they did a simulation on The Shadow. Found out it's really hard to load a Guvmint Model with one in each hand.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old May 20, 2002, 12:18 AM   #13
Frohickey

You could talk to a jewelry store and commission one, of course, it would cost a little bit of money.

Silver is definitely harder than lead. There are not too many metals that are softer than lead. But lead is one of the heaviest.

I think Garrett makes his bullets out of a lead-silver alloy. It makes for a hard lead bullet that is not brittle.

SigSauer, if you are listening, MAKE A DOUBLE-STACK 10mm PISTOL!
Old May 21, 2002, 02:20 PM   #14
Joe Portale

jjmorgan64,

Tonto lied. Silver is not more accurate than lead. Silver is too hard to properly fill the barrel and lock onto the rifling.

In the early years of fireamrs, there was a big ta-doo caused by the Catholic Church in Europe. They claimed that firearms were an instrument of the devil. So a bunch of priest got together and decided to see if guns were devil-spawned or not. They took silver, a metal associated with purity and therefore "godly" and had rifle balls made. The priests got a couple of marksman from the German King's army and setup a little competition. The marksmen shooting the lead balls; lead a metal associated with the earth, a base metal, therefore a metal of the devil outshot the guys using the silver balls.

The priests then reported their findings to the pope who decreaed that guns were instruments of the devil and should not be used for civilized combat and warfare. This is probably the first case of attempted gun-control in history. Good thing no one paid attention to this "test".

Modern engineers redid this experiment and got roughly the same results. But the explaination was a bit more definitive than Satan gives lead "wings to the target".

No big deal, just thought you would like to know.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old May 21, 2002, 03:51 PM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

You could probably get decent short-range accuracy with silver out of a smoothbore using a tightly patched round ball, the same as you can get decent short range accuracy with a musket if you take time to patch the ball tightly.

Old May 21, 2002, 04:50 PM   #16
C.R.Sam

I can get decent short range accuracy with a brick, patched or otherwise.

Sam
Old May 22, 2002, 12:21 AM   #17
Archie

Just struck me!

Anyone remember the two piece bullet moulds by Lyman?

One cast the bearing surface of the bullet out of a hard alloy, to prevent leading and take the rifling. One cast a main body/core out of softer alloy to expand and such. The the core was glued into the bearing surface portion.

So, find a set of them, cast the cores out of silver (it was a pretty simple shape), and glue them into the lead bearings....

Remember to get them blessed by competent authority. That's part of the magic of silver bullets on supernatural beasties.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old May 22, 2002, 09:33 AM   #18
Steve Smith

You could also start reusing .22 LR cases. Sounds like you're really into this oddball stuff, so that would be right up your alley.

You may decide to start making diamonds out of carbon as well, in your own home...you just have to squeeze real hard.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 27, 2002, 08:43 AM   #19
Hal

Actuallyyyyy,,,,

"Diamonds" can be made from Peanut Butter,,
Spent .22 casings are used as jackets,,

A Solid Ox torch can be used to melt a silver ring and the liquid poured into a brass bullet mold that was *supposed* to be ornmental mainly, but it worked kinda OK to cast a silver bullet. The sprue was one tough hombre to cut if IIRC.
Old May 27, 2002, 09:34 PM   #20
UltimaThule

I have no personal experience with werewolves, but the last time there were a problem around here, large-bore muzzleloaders were the weapon of the day. No need to carry specialized bullets at all, just make sure that the silver buttons on your waistcoat are of proper caliber - rip off a button, drop it in, point-and-squeeze. Accuracy isn't really important, nowadays you aren't allowed to shoot werewolves at long range anyway, if it is that far away you should just call the authorities. We are after all talking about an endangered species here.

If there is a chance of running into both werewolves and vampires, maybe a silver hollowpoint would do the trick. Put a drop of holy water and/or garlic juice in the nose cavity and seal it. If you have trouble finding holy water, try the home-brew variant. Put some ordinary water in a kettle and boil the he!! out of it.

BTW, has anyone ever heard of vampires in France? Garlic breath and vampires should be a bad combination (from the vampire's point of view).
Old May 28, 2002, 01:03 AM   #21
MLC

How bout replacing the original payload of your favorite gauge clear hulled shotshell with silver pellets as it is sold to jewelers for casting?
Old June 2, 2002, 07:51 AM   #22
Chief Jones

Damn----thread title made me think it was about Coors beer....
Old June 4, 2002, 12:36 PM   #23
cheygriz

Mike,

Buffy has slain more vampires than you and I put together! If she sez silver bullets work, who are we to question her? Besides what red blooded man wouldn't follow Buffy's lead?

And besides, any bullet that has over a 96 percent one shot stop rating on chupacabras will stop anything!
Old June 5, 2002, 03:13 PM   #24
renaissance7697

For HKLVR

I knew if I waded through enough bad jokes, I might eventually find a realistic, practical idea.

As one who has pondered this problem
(don't ask why)
I THANK you for your suggestion.

Just where however do you find "Clear Case" Hulls.
Not essential, but helpfull.

For those who want a "handgun" to do the job.
Get, how about a derringer in 45 LC and use .410 shotgun shells.

[email protected]
Old June 9, 2002, 12:25 AM   #25
MADISON

Who makes silver bullet?

"The Line Ranger".