The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 4, 2002, 05:52 PM   #1
IronCross

Does anyone have a laser for their P99?

Thinking about getting a laser for my P99. Any pro or cons? Does it help accuracy? Any input would be appreciated.
Old June 5, 2002, 03:39 AM   #2
Redhook

I got one of the first .40S&W P99's and then bought the Laser Devices BA-5 laser for it. I believe that they changed the designation for this unit to BA-6 now but generally it's still the same.

It's a really nice unit and Laser Devices did a good job of keeping the lines of the frame to the laser body. It's very sano and looks a lot better than some cheap pen style laser. Plus it's got the Walther logo on it.

As far a use, I find it's best for dry fire practice. If you've never used a laser before, you will be shocked at just how much you shake just holding the gun. Then try pulling the trigger. Any jerk or pull will be perfectly displayed by the dot.

If you had to shoot from the hip or point shoot, the laser comes in handy because it's a lot faster than an aimed shot. But, I hopefully will never be put in that position. Outside of that it's a nice accessory to my P99 and I view it as somewhat of a collectors item.

-Red-
Old June 5, 2002, 06:00 AM   #3
Herr Walther

Same here. It's not very practical for carrying and I'm not any kind of an "operator" so I really don't need it other than for my collection.

It is a pretty cool accesory if you're into Walthers.

I also had one of the first. I recently saw a web photo of a P99 wearing a BA-5 and it seemed that they have engraved the LDI logo onto the left side of the unit.

It is a top notch unit and it is also made for the HK USP series.

Don't waste your money on a $50 pen-style laser.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old June 5, 2002, 04:34 PM   #4
IronCross

Iam into Walthers! Was looking at the 6v unit on Earls site. You are all correct that it may not be that practical. Herr Walther, Where have you been? Missed your expertice on the Boards!
Old June 5, 2002, 07:07 PM   #5
Herr Walther

I was involved in an auto accident in December of last year that laid me up for awhile and then the computer decided to take a dump on me.

Just recently got things back to normal. I'm doing fine and walking again and the coputer is humming along nicely. (for a change)

Nice to be back.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old June 6, 2002, 05:57 PM   #6
IronCross

GLAD YOU ARE BACK AND FEEING BETTER! Time to update your great Web site!