The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 20, 2002, 02:53 PM   #1
IanS

If you could run a Pro-2nd Amend ad in a mainstream magazine....

what would it look like and what message or blurb would you put in it? I'm talking about magazines that go out into mainstream America (Time, Entertainment Weekly, Sport Illustrated, Good Housekeeping, TV Guide) and not rags that just preach to the choir. Never mind the fact they probably wouldn't run it....

Mine would be rather simple. I'd gather real people belonging to the NRA and GOA from all walks of life (police officers, teachers, firemen, store owners, lawyers, homemakers, surgeons, plumbers, military) in plain cilivian clothers with their handguns in strong side holsters. Their name, age, and occupation in small print; and a facsimile of the first 3 words of the Preamble "We the People..." behind them. They'd all be posed with their arms crossed with a resolute and determined look into the camera. And at the bottom "Join the NRA and GOA" and the phone #.

I'd love to see this kind of ad in a mainstream magazine one day or possibly as commercials on CBS, NBC, and ABC. In our cause good publicity is the only publicity we should want.

*Oleg Volk's ads are great but lets hear some ideas from the rest of us....

Last edited by IanS; July 20, 2002 at 05:21 PM.
Old July 20, 2002, 03:02 PM   #2
Beowulf_93

Heck, Oleg Volk's incredible site has tons of ready made advertising stuff. The problem is both the cash & the availibility of the ad space. All "mainstream" mags are patently anti gun ownership. Cosmo ran an article about warning signs in a boyfriend and gun ownership was one of them.
I really could not see Time, Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, Newsweek, Good Housekeeping, or Sports Illustrated running such an ad at any price. Even George Will, the resident "conservative" writer for the news mags has stated his opposition to the 2nd Amendment. It is a good idea, but I am somewhat doubtful of it seeing the light of day.
Old July 20, 2002, 03:10 PM   #3
IanS

With all due respect to Oleg and his great ads (great wallpaper!) I think they're a little too "threatening" and in your face to mainstream America. Especially to most yuppies living in big cities. I think a more subtle message is necessary to get our point across.

...And this is just fantasy. I know those magazine wouldn't run such an ad but I can hope can't I?
Old July 20, 2002, 04:36 PM   #4
Jim March

Some of Oleg's stuff is very mainstream-applicable.

If I was able to do something California-specific, I *know* what drives people wild: racism and corruption. Show 'em that's going on in gun control, and it shakes people up good.
Old July 20, 2002, 04:49 PM   #5
yankytrash

'nother vote for Oleg's stuff. Search through his posters - some are not as threatening.
Old July 20, 2002, 05:14 PM   #6
IanS

Come on folks, not all of us have the equipment, bevy of willing participants, and the hard work/energy of Oleg Volk to come up with innovative Pro-2nd Amend ads. I just wanted to know how the rest of YOU would set up an ad for a mainstream publication.
Old July 20, 2002, 05:50 PM   #7
MeekAndMild

Sports Illustrated: I think maybe I'd have a photo of some the men and women who won the Olympic shooting medals over the last few decades. Then a blurb about how we need to support the team for the next Olympics. Then something about "you too can join our team".

Playboy: Surely the Americans could come up with a Bikini Shooting Team, then a blurb about "you meet great people at the shooting range..."

Playgirl: Whoever is the male celeb of the year holding a large pistol in a strategic position. Same blurb. Avoid Leonardo Dicaprio if possible.

Home improvement mags. One page spread on how to put in a hidden gun safe between the walls. In fact free lance writers should start a campaign to introduce this topic in articles into these mags.

Women's magazines: Full page discussing water safety, bicycle safety, fire safety, poison control. Then a blurb about guns getting a bad rap and it being time to make these as safe as firearms.

National Geographic: A tribute to Audubon the bird hunter and conservationist. Something about modern hunters contribute $XXX for conservation, wildlife habitat and species preservation annually.

Rolling Stone: The sweetest and most polite ad praising great rockers who have been shooters. Then sue the living [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] out of them when they refuse to publish it.

Ebony: Ditto on Jim March's idea. Then follow through with the lawsuit when they refuse it.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old July 20, 2002, 06:30 PM   #8
NIGHTWATCH

May not be a "mainstream" magazine but its a familiar thought.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...hreadid=120218"
Old July 20, 2002, 07:21 PM   #9
lonegunman

meek and mild:

"Then sue the living [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] out of them when they refuse to publish it."

On what basis?
Old July 21, 2002, 12:16 AM   #10
MeekAndMild

Gee, I dunno! How about restraint of trade, discrimination and sexual harrassment? Get skunkabilly to run the ad and he could sue on the basis of antibanjoism.

I know a fellow who wanted to buy a house on the beach. He gave a lowball bid which was rejected then sued on basis of racial discrimination. Happens all the time.

disclaimer: No I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old July 21, 2002, 09:06 AM   #11
lonegunman

I think a publisher can choose what ads he runs with no interference from the government. It is my understanding that this choice would be protected under the first amendment.
Old July 21, 2002, 09:19 AM   #12
Tommy.Gun

If The ALF can get tv ads on CNN then why not..

Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people, the yet unlearned lesson of September 11th.
Old July 21, 2002, 09:30 PM   #13
GhostShooter

Um....

Everyone here has some good ideas but they keep saying they wouldn't publish it. Now I realize you're probably right but, has anyone ever tried?

Old July 21, 2002, 10:37 PM   #14
nsf003

Couldn't hurt to try, we might get to sue them and get some money to fuel the war for our rights. Remember...
Quote:
Wars cost money - John Travolta, SWORDFISH

nsf

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old July 21, 2002, 10:59 PM   #15
lonegunman

The NRA has tried in the past to buy prime time ads, and couldnt.
Old July 22, 2002, 12:02 AM   #16
Jim March

I've tried with my local paper (Contra Costa Times). It was "against their editorial policies" quote unquote.

Not an isolated case.
Old July 22, 2002, 08:51 AM   #17
Waitone

Big Media puts a hard clamp down on RKBA ads.

Best chance of overcoming censorship is to link RKBA to the various protected groups or people.

--Pink Pistols and NRA standing hand in hand would be really hard to turn down.
--Surviving spouses or children of 9-11 massacre asking if gun control really was a good idea.
--Survivors of a home invasion where guns were locked up or otherwise not available.

A flat out pro-RKBA message will get nowhere. The message will have to be piggybacked on some media-favored group or issue making the media outlet suspectable to charges of uncaring, bigotry, hatred, or any other media favored bilge.
Old July 22, 2002, 12:13 PM   #18
D.W. Drang

"On September 11, 2001, over 3000 people died because 8 men couldn't defend themselves."
If the per word rate is low enough, you can add "from thugs with razor blades."
http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/
Old July 22, 2002, 01:22 PM   #19
MicroBalrog

idea

Imagine a man and a woman, camouflage, AR-15s , protecting a cradle, and the inscription:
"Gun nuts protect their children. Do you?"
Old July 22, 2002, 01:56 PM   #20
WyldOne

I think Oleg's poster with the computer keyboard, asking if the First Amendment only applies to quills....you know which one I mean? Anyway, that would be really cool to run in, say, Time magazine.

Another idea is kinda along Ian11's idea: Get a lot of normal looking people, all races, women and men, wearing normal/professional attire (ie, no "wife beater" tank tops and no cammies). But my idea is to not show the guns. Is there some statistic about, for example (I'm pulling this out of thin air), "5 out of 10 people in the United States are armed". Or something? I dunno, the more I think about it, the less I like it.

To run in a "woman's magazine": Get a collage of newspaper headlines of women being attacked (there have been a lot of assaults around the Boston-ish area lately, so it's on my mind). And then, in a font that really stands out, say something like "And the police are giving out free WHISTLES".

Or, maybe get a couple newspaper headlines, and then a picture of a gun right next to a picture of a whistle. And the caption would be something like, "Which would you trust to protect your life?"

I dunno, I'm not very good at PR stuff. But those are my ideas. As far as if they get published, who cares, this is a hypothetical question I believe.

WyldOne's Fun & Political BB

WyldOne's homepage
Old July 22, 2002, 04:16 PM   #21
MicroBalrog

What about this?

I suggested ir before, too, but TheFiringline was off-line and it was forgotten.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg galtool.jpg (26.5 KB, 29 views)
Old July 22, 2002, 05:49 PM   #22
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

For discretionary issue states (homage a' WyldOne)

In our state, a woman isn't allowed to defend her life with a gun.

But she can whistle while she's raped.

- pdmoderator
Old July 22, 2002, 07:43 PM   #23
GSB

Terrific one, pdmoderator. But alas, it will prove too "disturbing" for the bliss ninnies, who would rather not contemplate such a thing.
Old July 22, 2002, 08:28 PM   #24
WyldOne

pdmoderator,

I like!!!

It's actually something that's been bothering me a lot (but didn't really seem thread-worthy). There have been a series of attacks/assaults in the Brighton/Brookline/North End areas (basically, different sections of the Boston/Cambridge area.)

And the news reports on this, then says: "Police are giving out free whistles to women in the area, and encourage women to stay alert." And we think we're being protected.

WyldOne's Fun & Political BB

WyldOne's homepage
Old July 22, 2002, 10:15 PM   #25
flinch_of_gt

If you want to play extremely dirty, overlay the 911 tapes from Columbine High School with footage of the SWAT teams cooling their heels outside. I'd want the calls from the library, where JeffCo dispatchers told the teacher and students to stay put and wait for police, effectively handing out a death sentence to everyone.

I'd then fade to black, and bring up the super:
Choose to fight back. Support the 2nd Amendment.

Another variant that's less confrontational, but still jarring:

Video: black screen

SFX (sound, for you non-ad types): 911 call where the crime occurs during the call. There's hundreds of them out there.

Super: In most cities, a police officer responds to a 911 call in five minutes.

SFX: Call reaches climax, screams, gunshots, etc.

Super: 30 percent of the time.

Super: Choose to fight back. Support the 2nd Amendment.