The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 22, 2002, 02:42 PM   #1
Correia

MYTH: To end all MYTH threads. :)

I figure that I had better list some of these future MYTH topics that we are bound to have here:

MYTH: We are all really good shots, and our choice of rifle is far more important than our skill.

MYTH: I can carry thousands of rounds of ammunition easily even though I don't own a proper LBE, ruck, or web gear.

MYTH: I can live in the forest and shoot down black helicopters easily even though they will have FLIR and 20mm chain guns.

MYTH: I can survive off of wild berries, bugs, and swamp grass for months at a time, and will refine my own urine into proper drinking water.

MYTH: Talking in endless loops about the end of the world with a bunch of other folks on the internet is much more usefull that getting to know my neighbors, voting, or campaigning for useful laws.

MYTH: Even though I am 60 lbs. overweight, lack the load bearing equipment to do so, haven't run since high school track, and have a cholesterol problem from all the potato chips I have eaten, I will have no problem fighting like a Chechan Warlord against the hordes of the UN/NWO/Clintons/Clone Army/Major L. Baseball/Girl Scouts/rioters/rampaging zombies. I will of course do this alone, because I don't routinely practice with any of the other gun people in my area.

MYTH: Since I personally can't hit anything beyond 200 yards, I will assume that neither will any of the strangers (who I have never shot with) on the internet can't either, and therefore have no need of a longer range, wind bucking cartridge. Anybody on the internet who claims that they can make routine shots out to 500 yards should be scoffed at, called a liar, and dismissed as "Untactical".

MYTH: I have never competed in a high power match, military match, or 3 gun match, neither have I seen combat. In fact I have never shot it under any stress at all. But I will pontificate endlessly about what I can do with my weapon should the need arise.

MYTH: I will have the same rifle as some of the top shooters in the country, and therefore assume that magically I will perform the same as those guys when I really need it. Even though they shoot 20,000 rounds a year in competition and serious practice, and I plink at beer cans once a month.

MYTH: I can't even lift a 10 lbs. rifle, and heavy recoil knocks me on my rear, so I will scoff at anybody who claims to shoot a MBR well, and I will assume they are lying.

MYTH: Since the internet is anonymous, I'm really good looking too.

MYTH: Since it happened in this particular gun fight, this certain way, in Hollywood, or Blackhawk down, or whatever, then it is gospel truth and should never be questioned, unless of course it goes against your particular choice of weapon, then it is a statistically insignificant point.

MYTH: Though I am 6'5" I will assume that a rifle that is comfortable to carry and shoot for myself will of course be just as comfy to somebody who is 4'9" and skinny. Anybody who disagrees with this is a wimp, and unable to weild a "Man's" gun.

MYTH: The SH** Hitting The Fan is a wonderful and eloquent slogan, that makes all of us gun enthusiasts look like educated, intelligent, and reasonable members of society. Who, when disaster strikes, will be out killing our neighbors en-mass to protect our supply of oreos and toilet paper, rather than helping them aformentioned neighbors. It is also reasonable to assume that the potential S*** that may hit said fan will be exactly the same in your area of South Central Los Angeles, as it will be in my area of suburban Utah. Of course all of this discussion helps people sitting on the fence of the gun issue come solidly into our camp, so that they too can protect their collection of beanie babies from looters.

So in conclusion, FOR THE LOVE OF JOHN MOSES BROWNING, can't we just get back to business. If you are worried, PREPARE! Prepare for what you think are the possibilities in your area! Learn to shoot! Practice! Compete! Go to school! Shoot with people better than you! If your buddy likes his AR, SKS, Mini-14, AK, FAL, G3, Cetme, or 1888 commission rifle, FINE! Let him like it! Just help him practice with it, so you both will be better!
Old July 22, 2002, 02:50 PM   #2
blades67

Quote:
MYTH: Since the internet is anonymous, I'm really good looking too.
Hey! I resemble that remark!

I hunt, therefore I am.

Last edited by blades67; July 24, 2002 at 12:00 AM.
Old July 22, 2002, 02:52 PM   #3
Goet

You hoard Oreos?

Old July 22, 2002, 03:01 PM   #4
Marko Kloos

Amen, Brother Larry.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old July 22, 2002, 03:03 PM   #5
fastang50

damn fine post sir
Old July 22, 2002, 03:10 PM   #6
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

My editor just looked over at me for laughing out loud and nearly blowing Arizona Iced Tea out of my nose.
Old July 22, 2002, 03:18 PM   #7
uglygun

This needs to be permanently tacked to the top of the forum!
Old July 22, 2002, 03:20 PM   #8
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Larry Correia, aka Ego Deflating Teller of the Truth
Old July 22, 2002, 03:27 PM   #9
SHIVAN

I think the actual footage and the historical documents regarding both the Hollywood shootout and the mission in Somalia are quite excellent illustrations about tactics, ballistics, stress, mobility, planning, and execution. Examples which can be learned from..........

Otherwise, agreed on all counts.........
Old July 22, 2002, 03:39 PM   #10
JasonReed

RIGHT ON Correia! I always get a chuckle from reading how so many folks on the 'net are CONVINCED that they are going to take on entire street gangs, LEO entry teams, or platoons of UN/Taliban/SHTF "goblins" and emerge victorious.

I've been shooting IDPA and a little IPSC for about eight years now, usually placing in the top 25-30%. So I figure that means about 1 in 4 of those folks could beat me in a standup fight, if we both started from the holster. Now decrease my odds by having the other guy get to start first. NOW lemme try it against two or three or a couple dozen, all shooting back AT THE SAME TIME. Pretty grim. Granted, the folks I'm competing against are better than yer average bad guy, but it is definitely eye opening.

That's why I like "which gun for rampaging zombies" threads more than SHTF: if yer gonna step into fantasy land, might as well go all the way!
Old July 22, 2002, 03:40 PM   #11
Steve Smith

Thanks, Larry!

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old July 22, 2002, 03:50 PM   #12
Larry Wright

Good post! But if we didn't embrace these myths, TFL traffic would decrease at least 50%. BTW, I "used" to be good looking or as Sam Eliot said in one of the Sackett films "Them ain't wrinkles, Thems war maps!
Old July 22, 2002, 04:02 PM   #13
Yanus

He forgot some of the other MYTHS:

A. The check is in the mail.
B. It's only a cold sore..........
C. I'm from the government, I'm here to help you.
D. I won't......in you mouth...... (Oh well, you get the picture!)

And my favorite, which just so happens to be the TRUTH....

Friendly fire..........isn't...........

Thank you very much,

Yanus
Old July 22, 2002, 04:18 PM   #14
C.R.Sam

Larry............

Sam
Old July 22, 2002, 04:24 PM   #15
The Plainsman

Correia;

Boy, are you on a toot, but I can't argue with anything you've said.
Old July 22, 2002, 04:29 PM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

MYTH: I give a damn.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 22, 2002, 04:42 PM   #17
Scarborough

Well said BUT Oreos and milk are worth fighting for.
Old July 22, 2002, 04:57 PM   #18
BigJoe

Love this one - way overdue. Wish I had the eloquence that you have in making the point. But I doubt that the "hardcore" will even recognize themselves up top. Take care all - Joe
Old July 22, 2002, 05:21 PM   #19
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Old July 22, 2002, 05:32 PM   #20
markmcj

Yep!!!!

I agree with the permanent clip to the top of the message board.

mark mcj
Old July 22, 2002, 05:38 PM   #21
Bob Locke

Just another reason why you're one of my heroes, Larry.
Old July 22, 2002, 05:39 PM   #22
ronin308

Larry- I think your post should be called Gunshop Commando Kryptonite. You had me rolling!
Old July 22, 2002, 05:41 PM   #23
Remmy

Quote:
MYTH: I can live in the forest and shoot down black helicopters easily even though they will have FLIR and 20mm chain guns.
I would quote most, but that one was pretty funny as well...nice post.
Old July 22, 2002, 05:41 PM   #24
Savage110

That's probably one of the most utterly hilarious things I've read.
Thanks for the laugh

- Don't take life too seriously . . . no one gets out alive.
Old July 22, 2002, 05:43 PM   #25
CWL

Nice bit o' writing!