The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 29, 2002, 02:30 PM   #1
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

The Gift of Hypocrisy

Just finished Gavin DeBecker's The Gift of Fear last night. Mr. DeBecker, as many of you know, is a high-priced security consultant to politicians and movie stars.

By and large The Gift of Fear is a worthwhile book. But, due to his personal circumstances (which I won't dispute are tragic), he is a vehement and high-profile anti-gunner and runs with a crowd of same.

However, his company, Gavin De Becker and Associates, also provides bodyguard services (http://www.gdbinc.com/protective.htm), and those bodyguards get trained in guns.

For proof, see the resume of one of his former employees: http://www.bodyguardnetwork.com/kori_ficery.htm

Quote:
June 1995 to Jan 1997 Gavin de Becker, Inc. Los Angeles, CA
Position: Security Staff Agent
Responsibilities: threat assessment and management; public figure protection.
Quote:
COURSES AND SEMINARS
(snip)
* Tactical Firearms Training Team (US) - Handgun Levels I and 11 (3/96, 1/97).
In short, Mr. DeBecker advocates removing our RKBA while training his agents in the tactical use of firearms.

- pdmoderator
Old July 29, 2002, 04:17 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

His is but one of many who believe that only some sort of elite people should have access to firearms. The actual definition of "Elite" varies, of course. For some, it's The Police. For others, it also includes politicians. And then there are those who "need" some sort of protection because "We're so important, dahlink, and threatened by the masses." And, generally, "only trained people" doesn't include ex-military--unless they work for a Proper Organization.

Yeah, hypocrisy. :barf:

Art
Old August 2, 2002, 12:02 PM   #3
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

Emailed gdbinc with a question on whether their "protective services" folks were armed.

Got a reply, "Why do you want to know?"

Told 'em I was wondering whether their policies were consistent with de Becker's attitute about guns in The Gift of Fear.

No reply.

No surprise.

again...

- pdmoderator

P.S. Don't forget to add this one to my profile.
Old August 2, 2002, 12:05 PM   #4
The Reaper

Gee and if people couldn't own firearms, but "elite" security groups could, then there would be more demand for his services.

Or am I just being way to cynical?
Old August 2, 2002, 04:01 PM   #5
t-man

I'm about halfway throught that book right now. You guys are totally right about his RKBA stance. It makes it hard for me to view the rest of it objectively. I can't stand this aloof attitude that says 'only us trained professionals should have guns'

Another big problem I see so far in the book is this:

Okay, I'm better able to recoginize that this person wants to kill me, or rape me, etc. But how the hell am I supposed to defend myself? Get a restraining order? Yeah that works. Maybe I could use my keychain and turn it into some brass knuckles. Or call the police. Or get some 'pepper spray'. People forget that the police are there to react to something that has already happend (and it usually aint good!).

Here's a crazy idea. Buy a gun, get trained on how to use it, learn to be situationally aware, don't go looking for trouble, and stop placing false trust in the police or your cellphone, whatever.

More bull[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] as far as I'm concerned.

sorry, preaching to the choir, I know.

t-man
Old August 2, 2002, 04:21 PM   #6
Jay Baker

Gavin DeBecker = The Purest of Raving Hypocrites!

J.B.
Old August 2, 2002, 04:29 PM   #7
braindead0

Read about 1/2 of the book...got bored stiff..went shooting ;-)
Old August 2, 2002, 06:44 PM   #8
geegee

De Becker's anti stance notwithstanding, I do believe that book should be read by all single women living alone, especially the 24-7 Condition White college students.

But Art is right. That oh-so prevalent elitist attitude that so many liberals and even some gun owners have ...:barf: . geegee