The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 7, 2002, 12:18 AM   #1
Jeff Neely

S&W 686 Recall?

Can anyone tell me what the recall was on the S&W model 686 and 686-1 revolvers? I see in the Standard catalog of Smith and Wesson it notes these models being stamped as a 686-M after repair. I have an early model 686 and wonder what this recall was and if it is still necessary.

thanks,
jeff
Old August 7, 2002, 12:29 AM   #2
ViLLain

Replacement of the hammer nose, firing pin bushing and associated parts.
Old August 7, 2002, 11:59 AM   #3
deputy tom

686 Recall...

Jeff,15 years ago I sent Mine in for the recall .S&W recut the forcing cone as part of it as well as the firing pin replacement,etc. They stamped an M on the frame in the crane area.Yes it is still necessary to have the work done if not previously sent in.At that time the turn around was approx. 2 weeks.Contact S&W for shipping instructions.tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old August 7, 2002, 02:34 PM   #4
NAVIGATOR

686 RECALL

I have a 686-3. Is it subject to that recall or would those problems have been corrected in the -3 issue?
Old August 7, 2002, 03:02 PM   #5
popeye

I emailed S&W about this issue this a.m.. They responded quickly with this info:

Smith & Wesson

Dear S&W Customer:

We have received your email regarding the L frame modification program. We would ask that you check to see if you have a –2 or –3 after your model 581, 586, 681, or 686, or a little m stamped above the model number (which indicates the modification has been performed). If you do not have one of the items listed, then please follow the instructions below:

We would like you to forward your handgun with a letter asking for the L frame modification along with your return address (No P.O. Boxes) and your phone number. You may return the handgun to our facility by contacting FedEx at 800-463-3339 to request pick up at your location or take the parcel to a FedEx facility or Authorized Ship Center. When you complete the FedEx airbill, in Section 7 indicate "bill to recipient" and insert your return number as 2155-0874-9. The package must be shipped using FedEx Priority Overnight service. There will be no charge to you to return the handgun. Address the parcel and the FedEx airbill to:

Customer Service
2100 Roosevelt Avenue
Springfield, MA 01104

If you have any further questions, please feel free to give us a call at 800-331-0852.

Yours truly,

Kate Fredette
Customer Support
Old August 7, 2002, 04:30 PM   #6
citizen

Aw, sh%t!
Life is too short for dial-up
Old August 7, 2002, 05:02 PM   #7
NAVIGATOR

686 RECALL

DITTO.....
Old August 7, 2002, 06:25 PM   #8
popeye

I went shopping for a 686 6" this morning, I had read deputy tom's post earlier. The shop had two 6 inchers, with square serrated butts, both had pin in hammer. One had "M" stamped in the crane the other no M, no, 2 or 3. They wouldn't lower posted price so I went down the street and bought a Python. Since I have 686 2 1/2 I was curious and e-mailed S&W before I left the house.
Old August 7, 2002, 10:53 PM   #9
HondoBWH

I'm curious as to why there is a recall for those parts in the first place. Are they defective? I bought a 686 no dash 16 months ago, don't think it had more than a hundred rounds through it then, have since shot around 1500 rds. but have never had a firing problem of any sort. If it doesn't seem broke is it worth the risk to send it in for a repair that may not be necessary? Will the repair work be as good as the original? Would like to hear from some of you who have had the repair performed by S&W recently.
Old August 8, 2002, 06:46 AM   #10
NAVIGATOR

686 RECALL

Good question--I would also like to know.
Old August 8, 2002, 07:25 AM   #11
popeye

Why not e-mail S&W as to your concerns. They got back to me in 4 hrs..
Old August 8, 2002, 11:00 AM   #12
Frenchy

Here's a little more information, courtesy of the Smith & Wesson Forum.

L-Frame Recall Discussion
Old August 8, 2002, 02:01 PM   #13
VictorLouis

If it's ONLY a 'range-gun', for fun

than you may choose not to worry about it. If you ever plan on using it in a defensive role, you should get it done.
Old August 8, 2002, 11:36 PM   #14
Jeff Neely

Thanks all for the info. will have to send mine back for repair.

jeff
Old August 9, 2002, 11:15 AM   #15
fastbolt

The reason for the modification was to address the issue of primer flow back into the firing pin bushing, which potentially could lock up the cylinder. If this happened it was possible for the cylinder not only to stop rotating, but be very difficult to open.

Apparently, there were some very soft primers being used by either some handloaders, as components, and/or in new loaded ammunition, not necessarily from any major ammunition manufacturer, either ... S&W can't control the quality of the primers used as either components or in loaded ammunition.

This was apparently only a possibility, as it was explained to us, with the particular bushing and firing pin nose used on the new L-frame design.

To prevent the possibility of lesser quality primers causing this condition to occur in their 686 revolvers, S&W decided it was best to modify all existing revolvers with a redesigned firing pin bushing and firing pin. We received the parts and all of our 686's in inventory were so modified.

As a side note, we never experienced this problem with any of our 686's, and I've never personally spoken to anyone that did, either. At that time I was still using a lot of handloaded ammunition for range practice, and a lot of "budget" or small manufacturer "gee whiz" ammunition, as well.

S&W wanted to prevent the possibility, and that's fine with me. I'd rather have them do that, than simply ignore the possibility, and then later claim it was an ammunition problem and not a problem with their revolver, so it wasn't their problem ...
Old August 9, 2002, 09:09 PM   #16
7th Fleet

I just ran down to the vault to check mine, it's a -4

7th
Old August 10, 2002, 06:47 AM   #17
citizen

Quote:
I just ran down to the vault.......
What, do you live in a bank?

Downstairs; Down the block; Downtown?

Or just down to the "Gunhouse"; on the north end of the estate?
Life is too short for dial-up
Old August 10, 2002, 06:31 PM   #18
Poohgyrr

Some ammo (including factory) would tie up in some early 686's. Mine did this in the summer of '88, S&W fixed it quick (duty gun) and it worked fine without problems after that. Mine was a 686, no dashes; they made the fix part of the regular production.